PDA

View Full Version : What class graphite rod

DylanK
08-07-2008, 03:07 PM
Hi

I have searched for hours (really, really bored), and havnt found wat im looking for. I would like to try a graphite rod as i have been using 5'6' fibreglass baitcasters all my life. I have had a look at all the brands and types but my main concern is the strength.

I would basically use it for everything, bream, squire, bass, jewfish, mackeral, the usuall bay and freshwater stuff. I dont know if the medium class rods can handle a bigger sized jew? Not that i ever catch big fish lol.

Yea so i guess id like to know if i should get a medium class or a heavy class rod for the more common fish (prob upto about 1 metre fish?)

Thanks alot,

DylanK

Noelm
08-07-2008, 03:14 PM
Graphite is still very strong, but does not like abuse, a short "high stick" will see you with a three piece rod quick smart, so do not worry about the actual strength of the rod, how you use it with the correct size line will be more important.

DylanK
08-07-2008, 03:33 PM
Alrite yea i understand what ur saying, but, would say a 8kg heavy graphite rod have enough sensitivity for the smaller stuff?

Tetsuo
08-07-2008, 07:26 PM
I would go a medium weight rod. The majority of fish you will catch will be smaller than 1 meter (unless you are very lucky) and the lighter rod will give you a lot more enjoyment when you are tested by the big one. If you use a heavy rod for bream you might as well use fiberglass ( or a handline) because it wont be much fun.

Are you going to stick with baitcasters or try something different?

johno r
08-07-2008, 07:28 PM
I have Team Daiwa advantage real and rod 6ft rated 15-30lb line with 50lb braid and still cast a 7gr popper fairly good and get about 35m -45m flicking a jackall, main use is for barra but still good on bass

the gecko
09-07-2008, 01:26 PM
Some 4-8kg rods will be fine for lighter work, and others will not. Depends on the taper,tip size, shape and blank design. Go into a few stores and handle the rods, then decide what you want.

I found the Starlo Stix Maxi Tournament 4-7kg was ideal for both, and the Diawa TEam Advantage looked good too. The Pflueger President was a possibility, but the Live Fibre Texalum looked way too heavy for lighter lures.

Check em all out. Go shopping.

DylanK
09-07-2008, 01:37 PM
Well thanks for all the replies. Problem is i had a minor crash the other day and gotta fork out quite a bit of cash :'( so i cannot buy anything higher priced (which i wanted to do). Yes sadly even $100 for a rod at the moment is stretching it. Anyways later down the track ima buy a proper combo for lake fishing, saltwater etc, so have a few combos for all situations, but at the moment.........i bought a saratoga 1.7m baitcaster graphite medium rod from ebay..... most probably a waste of money but i wanto try it. it cost me $18 without postage so i guess ill see how it goes.

DylanK