PDA

View Full Version : 1 piece or 2 piece rods

flatty_mann1994
08-07-2008, 01:58 PM
hey guys

jus wondering if any of you mite no a little bit about the difference between 1 and 2 piece rods
and i no that the 2 piece are better for travelling and stuff like that but are
the 1 piece stronger??

also can u tell me about the 5-8kg raider rod from shimano
i really like this rod but i dont no if its strong enough for throwing around 10-12cm poppers as i like to use these on the quennies and trevally on the flats and reef edges

Noelm
08-07-2008, 03:19 PM
if it is possible, always choose a 1 piece, but sometimes you need 2 piece for travel, storage a whole range of reasons, if that's the case then go for it, they are still OK (the good ones I mean)

Jungle Jim
08-07-2008, 05:03 PM
im definitely no expert but would agree with noelm- one piece if possible should be better... ie better integrity with no joins etc (i say should - coz i wouldnt even know how to test it, it's more of an eductaed assumption)

but i have 9 foot 4 piece fly outfit with each indivual pieces being under 3 feet long.

it casts beautifully and i dare say there is absolutely no compromise in strength or action.

what there is howver is a definite advantage when it comes to travel be it the car, plane or hiking.

i've heard a few guys having issues getting rods on planes be it domestic or o/s but if you don't travel with your rod i say one piece rules..

bit of ramble but hopes it helps all the same.

Jim

For Steve
08-07-2008, 05:30 PM
The Shimano Snapper Raider (7'6" 5-8kg) has a cast weight of 15 to 45g. What weight are the poppers you'd like to use?

For example, Halco Roosta Poppers in 105mm weigh 30g, 135mm weigh 48g. River2Sea Bubble Popper 130mm weigh 43g, 110mm 32g. So there are quite a few poppers out there around that size that come in below 45g.

I guess the 2 piece design would be slightly less sensitive but I wouldn't let it put me off getting a 2 peice Raider. The are a great rod for the $100 price tag. I'd like one. I prefer a 1 piece for light SP fishing but with your poppers, heavier plastics and slugs, I think it would be great.

Cheers
Brad

banshee
08-07-2008, 06:30 PM
A modern two piece rod sporting a tip over butt join loses nothing in the strength department likewise the action is unaffected,they are a far cry from what was on offer with the plug in tops of years gone by with metal ferules siezing and fibreglass ferules spliting not to mention both becoming so slopy that they eventualy needed gluing up.If you like the action don't be put off by the fact it's two piece.

NAGG
08-07-2008, 07:00 PM
Today's quality 2 piece rods loose nothing to a 1 piece ( not like the bad old days that Banshee mentioned)
Most will not even show a flat spot because of the design & construction! Just keep in mind that Loomis , Sage & others have produced top notch multi piece fly rods for many years ........ & these traits have been designed into the current 2 piece spin & cast rods!
I certainly .... no longer feel that 1 piece is better 8-)

Nagg

Tetsuo
08-07-2008, 07:32 PM
I agree with NAGG, today's two pieces are equal to one piece. I prefer 2 piece because eventually there will come a time when full length is a problem. Thats everyday for me as I drive a ute!

nigelr
09-07-2008, 09:09 AM
As the guys above had said, modern 2 or more piece rods are nothing like those produced years ago.
These days, some 2 piece blanks are lighter in total weight that 1 piece versions, which pretty much illustrates the efficiency of modern multi-piece blank design and manufacture.
The 'portability' of a multi-piece can be very useful.
Cheers.

Noelm
09-07-2008, 09:37 AM
fully agree, I have a couple of two piecers, and use them regularly, with no adverse affects, indeed I have one I purchased especially because it was 2 piece, I use when I go on trips, as it only needs a short tube for packing.

Wayne_Red
09-07-2008, 06:55 PM
Alway been a one piece fan but my brother and a mate have the raider 2 piece 7'6" snapper rods. They perform great, used on throwing plastics, squid jigs and bait. Good value for $ IMO, going to buy one myself.
Wayne

flatty_mann1994
10-07-2008, 03:56 PM
:D thanks guys for the advice and your opinion
i think i will just go and get one of those rods next pay day

for steve, the poppers i like using are the ones that you mentioned
im a big fan of the halco roosters so i will be throwing them around
very soon

thanx ;D flatty_mann1994