PDA

View Full Version : overhead into underhead

ozbee
08-07-2008, 01:15 PM
can you get overhead reels in a left handle set up. the reason i ask this is that bottom bashing large trout and red emperor the force wants to turn the rod and is bloody hard to hold until you can get it in the gimble which is no easy task especially for new comers. a straight overhead in a lefthand config run underneath the rod sure would stop a lot of bruisers and early reef snag ups as getting them off the first few meters is so crucial to landing a freight train8-)

Scott nthQld
08-07-2008, 02:06 PM
Left handers are out there, but not all that common, you may have to ask your local tackle shop to order in for you.

So how will you approach setup, with the reel underneath will it just be a matter of teaming it up with a heavy spin or jigging rod and wind backwards?

Noelm
08-07-2008, 03:16 PM
maybe easier to just get a quality Spinning reel and be done with it, or get a rod made that is right on the backbone which will help with the twisting to a degree.

diabolical
08-07-2008, 03:38 PM
Maybe a spiral wrap like Starlo Stik Tornado heavy, where the guides spiral around the rod . Never used one but it is supposed to stop the twisting with an overhead.

finding_time
08-07-2008, 03:46 PM
get a rod made that is right on the backbone which will help with the twisting to a degree.

Ain't that true!!! There are alot of crap rods out there!!

Getting a high quality spinning reel will save your problems, but if you do go for an underslung overhead(:-/ ) you'll need one with a level wind becauce you wont be able to see the spool to lay your line correctally!

Ian

Ps scrap that idea !! I imagine that the level wind would play havoc with fingers that hung down!:o Go a spinner!

chop duster
08-07-2008, 04:13 PM
not to mention trying to wind backwards with your left hand? :-/
i think it would be a bit like patting your head and rubbing the old tummy for a while:D

reggy
09-07-2008, 05:11 PM
Maybe a spiral wrap like Starlo Stik Tornado heavy, where the guides spiral around the rod . Never used one but it is supposed to stop the twisting with an overhead.
First saw one of these rods on TV and thought it was a damaged rod and then came across one in a tackle shop.
Looks like a great idea to me.
Have any of you guys out there used one? and what line classes does it come in?

SWANO1
09-07-2008, 07:27 PM
First saw one of these rods on TV and thought it was a damaged rod and then came across one in a tackle shop.
Looks like a great idea to me.
Have any of you guys out there used one? and what line classes does it come in?

went out with rhys and matt not long ago and matt had a spiral wrap teamed up with a trinidad narrow special and it performed quiet well although no monsters were encountered , recon it may be worth a try .
cheers swano

2manylures
10-07-2008, 10:40 AM
I think the problem lies within the rod you're using. It doesn't seem to be designed for the amount of pressure being inflicted on it or more to the point through it.

By this I mean if you're using 3kg of drag on a rod that is built to only handle 1kg then this will give you the problem you have. The rod will be all over the place as it isn't designed to work like this.

I'd be starting with buying a good rod designed for the pressure you want or need to fish, match the line class to the rod & the reel. Might find you don't have anymore problems.

Take your reel loaded with line & max drag set with you when buying a rod. Test drive rods loaded in the toy shop prior to handing out cash as you can't trust the manufacturers "Line Class" ratings, all over the place.

Once you get a combinationation that works how it was designed you'll feel the difference immediately & the comfort level will show just how skew wiff the current setup is.

It's all about balance & matching.

Hope that helps.

oldboot
10-07-2008, 10:02 PM
I know lots of people will poo poo the idea, But you would be better off with an Alvey snapper winch than trying to use an overhead upside down and back to front.

cheers

flybloke
10-07-2008, 10:13 PM
I know lots of people will poo poo the idea, But you would be better off with an Alvey snapper winch than trying to use an overhead upside down and back to front.

cheers
No poo poo at all, That is precicely what an alvey is, An overhead real upsidedown with the winder going the right way. Having said that I wonder if alvey make Left hand winders?

oldboot
10-07-2008, 10:46 PM
Well not realy, but yeh.:-/
An Alvey is a bit different;D

they most certainly do do left hand.

the entire "A" series can be used left or right hand out of the box.
Almost every other model can be orfered lefty.

The poor old alvey........ the fancy end of town still don't get it.
No gears, no level wind to gum up and have to lubricate every 5 minutes and as much winding power as you can get

and dont believe all that BS about poor drag systems, thats the pojnt you arent as dependent on the drag system with an alvey, besides a star or lever drag Alvey has 3 seperate drag systems

cheap too nad near unbreakable.

cheers

2manylures
11-07-2008, 11:26 AM
The poor old alvey........ the fancy end of town still don't get it.

Oldboot, i'm not sure if it's the fancy end or the TRENDY end of town. I'd run with trendy end of town myself.

It seems all tackle is purchased on looks not performance & durability. Gotta Laugh!

Alveys are in the don't look good class to the trendy unfortunately. Can't have the Jones' seeing them with something not so pretty.

Something i find more than funny is with the introduction of braided lines is the fact that the trendy load up reels meant for 6Lb line with 30Lb and then wonder why $400-$1000 reels are dying.

Reel manufacturers must love braid & trendy, good for business!

austricker
11-07-2008, 06:03 PM
shimano do a conversion to left hand drive for TLDS
Cheers Shane8-)

Willo
12-07-2008, 09:06 PM
A spiral wrap will take the twisting of the rod out, the more they load up the more stable they become .I have a couple of them ranging from 8kg to 15kg .and can comfortably fish them without a gimbal. They give you the stability of a thread line outfit
Here's a pic with a 15kg set up under load
Willo

Heath
12-07-2008, 09:27 PM
Go the spiral wrap. They are bloody great.

2manylures
26-08-2008, 10:47 AM
When I 1st saw this post I must admit I had a chuckle but have, as of today just bent my knee up & put my foot back in my mouth where it belongs. I'm sure a few others may do the same.

Walker Downriggers actually make a reel called:

Walker W.T.D. Trigger Drag Inverted Levelwind Trolling Reel

These can be seen/found at:

http://www.all-americanoutdoors.com/inc/sdetail/10538

SO, to answer your original question OZBEE, YES YOU CAN

Spaniard_King
26-08-2008, 01:38 PM
I am not long back from a trip where I used one of Willo's 25-40lb Loomis spiral wraps with a Tiagra 16 loaded with 50lb mono, pulling reds to 12kg and 6ft reef sharks was a breeze:) :o Theres definately a lot to be said for the peromance of spiral wrap rods with overheads on them;)