PDA

View Full Version : Hows Monduran been fishing lately?

mikooh
08-07-2008, 12:32 PM
I am heading up to mondy for the first time this weekend- mainly to have a good look around the place as we have always wanted to stop in there on our Awoonga trips but have never had quite enough time to fit it in.
Being the middle of winter with a good southerly predicted:-/ we are not expecting to break any records, so I thought I would ask if anyone has had much luck there of late? or have conditions made the fishing very tough? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

BTW I have been trawing through the reports page, but it seems that Monduran reports have been very few and far between over the past few weeks- Does this mean that no one has been fishing there, or are people putting in some time on the water for nothing to report?

Thanks,

Mick

themissus
08-07-2008, 01:13 PM
Good luck!! Hope you have a great trip. Let us know how you go.
Cheers Kim.

black_sheep
08-07-2008, 01:55 PM
Mick,

It's been about a month since we fished it last and water temps dropped quickly from 23 to 20 degrees. We got a 121 in the first 10 mins and struggled to get fish that first session with only a 70cm rat for the next few days. themissus and hubby were there to and also got 1 @ 97cms for the 4 days.

I know it's been tough but a few are still being caught. Definitely worth a look if not to just sus the place out before the next season. Mondy could become more popular then Awoonga soon with plenty of big fish caught last season. The dam is also a lot easier to fish then Awoonga when the weather turns nasty. Get up there and give it a go mate, the buggers still have to eat.

Good luck and look forward to a post.

p.s. well worth stopping in at Foxie's at Gin Gin to get the low down.

Awoonga
08-07-2008, 01:58 PM
Monduran this weekend sees the ABT Bass event there lots of boats on the water...

black_sheep
08-07-2008, 01:59 PM
BTW - warm shallow wind blown points and bays is a good start. Suspending lures worked super slow will help to keep it in their face.

Tight Lines.

black_sheep
08-07-2008, 02:00 PM
Hey Trev,

Must have been posting at the same time. Are you participating in the ABT?

Awoonga
08-07-2008, 02:05 PM
No mate my focus is on Barra this year...Still waiting for my boat to arrive

mikooh
08-07-2008, 03:14 PM
Monduran this weekend sees the ABT Bass event there lots of boats on the water...
Thanks Trev. I have some mates fishing the bass comp this weekend, so we decided to tag along to check the place out. With plenty of areas to fish and different target species we should be able to stay clear of the comp fishos.

Mick

Steve B
08-07-2008, 08:40 PM
Mick,

go as far far up as you can away from the majority of the bassers.

Some fish are still getting caught. Spoke to a knowlegable fishing legend today. He has been getting several over past 4-5 days, but water temps dropped last night which made it tough today.

Last week I got 1 and dropped another 4 on various plastic and HB (no stiffies!!) trying new methods. But conditions are far worse this week.

Good luck mate.

Some basic tips as a starter guide :- find warm water, find bait, shallow (but not too shallow 6-8ft seemed to be working when it gets really cold. (surface in real shallow water is too cold) Look for little dropoffs into that depth. lay down timber and points too.

As I said, basic tips, but something to start with.

Steve

mikooh
08-07-2008, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the input Steve, its always good to hear some advice from a local :thumbsup:

Like I said earlier, we are not expecting to break any records but it would be good to see a barra in the boat for the 700km of driving each way!

As far as tackle goes, I have my zillion spooled up with 30lb braid and a second spool loaded with 50lb. Is 30lb ok or should I ditch it and use the 50lb?

Thanks

Mick

Steve B
08-07-2008, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the input Steve, its always good to hear some advice from a local :thumbsup:

Like I said earlier, we are not expecting to break any records but it would be good to see a barra in the boat for the 700km of driving each way!

As far as tackle goes, I have my zillion spooled up with 30lb braid and a second spool loaded with 50lb. Is 30lb ok or should I ditch it and use the 50lb?

Thanks

Mick

Mick, those setups will be perfect!!

yeah 700km is along way. bonus is if its tough now and the weather warms/fines up they could easilly fire on the weekend!

steve

Roo
09-07-2008, 11:39 AM
http://www.weatherzone.com.au/local/local.jsp?lt=aploc&lc=11470

Forecast is for it to start warming up.....but possible showers for Saturday. The site linked above is quite handy for checking forecasts.

The warm up might be too little too late for the weekend....but you could be in the box seat on Monday Steve.
Cheers Roo.

mikooh
09-07-2008, 02:37 PM
http://www.weatherzone.com.au/local/local.jsp?lt=aploc&lc=11470

Forecast is for it to start warming up.....but possible showers for Saturday. The site linked above is quite handy for checking forecasts.

The warm up might be too little too late for the weekend....but you could be in the box seat on Monday Steve.
Cheers Roo.
I have been watching the weather forecast all week, not that there is much point as we have no control over it. I guess we will just have to get out there cast our ar$es off.. And hope for a little bit of luck as well;)

Mick