PDA

View Full Version : 27MHz

iricangi
08-07-2008, 12:18 PM
Just a few quick questions.

Are the 27mhz radios going to be phased out any time soon?

And will i have radio contact with VMR out on the 36's off Southport.

(approx 10nm) heard 27 mhz have 10-15 nm range

ifishcq1
08-07-2008, 12:33 PM
I don't know about phasing out ,,up here they are only used in smooth waters and all the boats that go offshore have at least vhf because of the range

SL

MTAQ/BTAQ
08-07-2008, 12:58 PM
I am a radio invigilator for OMC and I have not heard anything about 27 MHZ being phased out. Be aware though that 27 MHZ are not really reliable for they are subject to interference and when you really want them to work (ie bad weather/conditions) they will let you down (in my experience).

VHF is very reliable, particularly if you go offshore - but they require an operators licence and are more expensive than 27 MHZ.

Noelm
08-07-2008, 12:59 PM
not being phased out, as long as there is another set, then it will be usefull, a few base stations are no longer monitoring 27MHZ full time now.

iricangi
08-07-2008, 01:10 PM
I've bitten the bullet and have booked in for the VHF course at Victoria Point, bit of a drive but I think i'd rather be able to operate a radio with knowledge and be able to own a better one VHF rather then 27mhz!

wags on the water
08-07-2008, 01:33 PM
I have contacted the MBTBC radio room from the 42's off moreton before on 27mhz. The boat I was on didn't have vhf.

Local_Guy
08-07-2008, 02:05 PM
go the VHF. when i purchased my boat earlier this year i asked the coastguard what they perfer and they advised i go the VHF as they won't be monitoring the 27mhz as closely next year.

for $100 more you never have to upgrade again.

PADDLES
08-07-2008, 02:34 PM
if you can afford the few extra bucks, definitely go the vhf. my boat only had a 27MHz when i bought it but i bit the bullet last weekend and installed a vhf, the coverage is brilliant and heaps less jibber jabber. i've got to get myself to a radio course though.

Getout
08-07-2008, 02:57 PM
the coverage is brilliant and heaps less jibber jabber

until everyone has one I suppose:(

PADDLES
08-07-2008, 03:31 PM
true story there getout

QF3 MROCP
12-07-2008, 04:53 PM
I've bitten the bullet and have booked in for the VHF course at Victoria Point, bit of a drive but I think i'd rather be able to operate a radio with knowledge and be able to own a better one VHF rather then 27mhz!

Iricangi:

If your interested we are running a radio course on August 10th at the Redcliffe Coast Guard next to the Scarborough Boat Ramp.. Just ring the radio room on 32035522 and make a booking if your interested..

Peter

QF3 MROCP
12-07-2008, 05:18 PM
go the VHF. when i purchased my boat earlier this year i asked the coastguard what they perfer and they advised i go the VHF as they won't be monitoring the 27mhz as closely next year.

for $100 more you never have to upgrade again.

Hi Local_Guy,

You blokes in Yeppoon have a great deal going up there with VHF - the local channels 16, 21 & 22 are, if not already, are going via repeater on top of Mt Archer. This is the main reason 27 meg is not heavily promoted because of the amount of QLD GOVT money being spent on putting a network of channel 16 repeaters along the Qld coast line.

Must admit, for a Mayday I would be using my VHF channel 16 rather than a mobile phone.....

In our area 27meg is about 12% of the radio calls. The main reason being is the limited number of people listenig to 16...

Just a note; not all Coast Guard locations are reducing their 27meg monitoring. The reason we are known as Limited Coast Stations is because we all have different listening hours and channel monitoring requirements, hence you need to know where you are...

Must
P