PDA

View Full Version : engine economy

trev1
07-07-2008, 07:39 PM
I'm still looking at new boats and have a few questions to put to the fore. The new Quinnys are offered with sterndrives as well as outboards, where do sterndrives fit in with regards to fuel economy compared to 4 stroke and dfi outboards? I realise that there are other differences but how do they compare powerwise?

Jabba_
07-07-2008, 07:57 PM
If the Stern drive has a carburetor, it will be heavier on the juice then a DI 2 or 4st...
However if the stern drive is EFI it should be as economical as the latest tech outboards...

I believe Quintrex offer a diesel cummins stern drive combo now... In theory, that should be the most economical package... But if there asking a huge premium for the deisel, it might be worth buy one of the other packages..

Tazmaniac
08-07-2008, 12:46 AM
Stern drives are ok when resonably new, but require a lot more maintenance than outboards as they age. They had their place when all outboards were carby 2 strokes as they were much more economical to run. These days, with 4 strokes and DI 2 strokes why would ya ? I've owned 3 stern drives over the years, but now run a 225 4stroke Yammy and will NEVER have another sterndrive. They also take up room inside the boat, were as an outboard is, well outboard !