PDA

View Full Version : Daiwa certate hd custom

grassyass
07-07-2008, 02:51 PM
G'day all, i have just purchased a Daiwa certate hd custom reel for chasing the awoonga barra, so i am wondering on a rod to go with it. I had some feedback from the tackle shop, so i am just open for more ideas. Feel free to give them:) . Regards Grassy

Leighton
07-07-2008, 02:56 PM
Egrell S10
Egrell website will show you more pics than you care to imagine of big Imp Barra caught on similar combo's

Tim_N
07-07-2008, 02:57 PM
Or the new Egrell Spin4Barra rod which has just come on to the market after lots of R&D.
Tim

grassyass
07-07-2008, 04:36 PM
Thanks guys i will check there website now

Whitto
07-07-2008, 05:27 PM
Egrell Rods no doubt......Im about to take possession of a Spin 4 Barra rod and will proberbly fit a Team Daiwa Advantage 3500/4000......they are an expensive rod but if you have a partial understanding of the research Eric puts into his product and craft the cost pale's into insignificant's......I can't wait to put it into action....Cheers Whitto:thumbsup:

grassyass
07-07-2008, 05:34 PM
Egrell Rods no doubt......Im about to take possession of a Spin 4 Barra rod and will proberbly fit a Team Daiwa Advantage 3500/4000......they are an expensive rod but if you have a partial understanding of the research Eric puts into his product and craft the cost pale's into insignificant's......I can't wait to put it into action....Cheers Whitto:thumbsup:
How much are they Whitto? Say the S10

Whitto
07-07-2008, 05:44 PM
How much are they Whitto? Say the S10 If you have a local Tackle Shop that sells them you may get some discount...The RRP $375.00.....that is for the Spin 4 Barra......I have no idea the price of the S10....Whitto

Leighton
07-07-2008, 05:46 PM
If you have a local Tackle Shop that sells them you may get some discount...The RRP $375.00.....that is for the Spin 4 Barra......I have no idea the price of the S10....Whitto
a bit over the $400 mark for the Egrell S10, $460ish from memory

grassyass
07-07-2008, 05:54 PM
Mate, thats not bad, I am also looking at the Daiwa Saltiga 70s, which is a $600 rod. There is a shop up at Rockhampton called Barra Jacks. I gave them a ring, but the guy who deals with that particular rod was not in, so he will ring me tomorrow.

abbot_86
07-07-2008, 07:05 PM
mate have you thought of getting one built?? that way you can choose exactly what you want. there are some good blanks that would fit your criteria. maybe a hastings?? cheers nick

eotbmg
08-07-2008, 08:52 AM
Go the Egrell, you will be stoked at their quality and performance

grassyass
08-07-2008, 10:50 AM
mate have you thought of getting one built?? that way you can choose exactly what you want. there are some good blanks that would fit your criteria. maybe a hastings?? cheers nick
I will definately look into that as it just makes sense, willing to spend the money so why not go the extra yards. What i am governed by though, is the reel i need it for and what i am chasing.(big barra). Do you think that it is wise to go with a recomended matching outfit that the company(Daiwa,producer of my reel) and its users recomend, or go and get one built. Theres a saltiga 70s coming in to the shop in a week or so, and i will go in and take my reel with me and see what it feels like. As for the S10, i will give them a ring and find out the price, hopefully the guy will be in today. I have also sent an email to Egrell enquiring on a price and availability for inspection. Your question was good, as it made me ask myself alot of other questions. Regards Grassy:)

Roo
08-07-2008, 01:19 PM
If the combo is a dedicated barra setup then a 6'6" length may be better suited. if it is to be a multi purpose thing then perhaps 7' is more flexible an option.
Don't forget the Japanese Saltiga's may have a slightly different concept to their construction than the egrell. The jap stuff tends to be a bit more "Noodley"....ie slower taper than what most of us are used to. Egrell S10's are a faster taper than most jap models with a reasonbly light tip for flicking light jigheads but rapidly loading up into the butt section to pull "stumps" off the bottom. I haven't used either of these but i have done my research and tackle shop tested a few options. I'd go the Egrell given what I found I liked best. You should at least handle all options yourself(ideally with your reel fitted) to get the best result.

Happy shopping, Roo.

grassyass
08-07-2008, 02:02 PM
If the combo is a dedicated barra setup then a 6'6" length may be better suited. if it is to be a multi purpose thing then perhaps 7' is more flexible an option.
Don't forget the Japanese Saltiga's may have a slightly different concept to their construction than the egrell. The jap stuff tends to be a bit more "Noodley"....ie slower taper than what most of us are used to. Egrell S10's are a faster taper than most jap models with a reasonbly light tip for flicking light jigheads but rapidly loading up into the butt section to pull "stumps" off the bottom. I haven't used either of these but i have done my research and tackle shop tested a few options. I'd go the Egrell given what I found I liked best. You should at least handle all options yourself(ideally with your reel fitted) to get the best result.

Happy shopping, Roo.
I will be sure to try them all before i buy.I totally agree that it can be a personal choice as far as feel goes, and i will be sure to take my reel in with me.A good point you bought up about the "Tappering" of the rods and the difference. This is the first time i have really looked into a setup"seriously",so i would say there will be a thing or two that i can learn, esecially about the tappering of rods and the tip action. I feel there is more to these rods than just turning a fish's head. The 7 ft is what i did have in mind or a 6ft8, but you never know. Most people in this forum seem to like the Egrell. Regards Grassy