PDA

View Full Version : Swains Reef QLD

Coral bommie
07-07-2008, 02:34 PM
Hi all, Has anybody heard any reports from the Swains reef lately. I am heading out from Gladstone on Saturday for a week long charter. Very keen to stretch the old shoulder blades again on some big Trout and any other toothy critter that comes along.

Cheers

BR65
07-07-2008, 07:13 PM
what boat there bommie?, Im up that way myself in a month

cheers
brian

Fishing_Freddy
07-07-2008, 07:29 PM
I went out back in May and had a great week with a good varity of fish caught. We got Trout, Red Throat, Goldband Job Fish, Wahoo, Spanish Mackeral and a few Red Emporer. It was well worth it and our crew has booked in again for next year. Would recommend it to anyone.
Ken :beer:

Coral bommie
08-07-2008, 08:26 AM
I am heading out on the NIGHT CROSSING. I have been on it before and a Super boat to go fishing for a week.

BR65
08-07-2008, 05:16 PM
mate, look forward to a report, any tips on gear, dorrie fishin, etc etc would be great
cheers
brian

ALB78
11-07-2008, 11:28 PM
Hey CB, i got back from the swains bout a week ago and the fishing was great!!! We caught alot more trout this year than previous and the size wasn't too bad at all!! some fish were around the 4+kgs and better with the average around the mid 2's to 3 kgs!!! Also a fair few red throat's as well. We fished out of dories most of the time with the weather blowing 15-20knts. We found the better fish came from the deeper water just of the edge of the reef's. Soon as you see the bottom dissappear drop the pick, burley up and hang on!!!!! Also found a very good tactic was if the fishing was a little slow we would catch 3 to 4 fish in one spot then move 50 - 100mts and re anchor and get a couple more!!! We have booked again aboard the "TASMAN VENTURE" out of hearvy bay and cant wait!!!! Hope you enjoy your trip and good luck!!