PDA

View Full Version : 4BC ,Roma St Parklands and Sunfish

shayned
07-07-2008, 11:19 AM
Spent a very enjoyable Saturday helping out at another Take a Kid Fishing day. While a very wet day a majority of the kids showed up to take advantage of our expert (::) ) tuitition and a once a year opportunity to fish the Roma St Parklands.

As Nugget said when he pre fished the location a couple of years ago there are some big fish in there. Which put even bigger smiles on the kids faces and not to mention the grins on our faces.

A couple of us from PRFMA, Blue Fin and Bribie supported Sunfish on the day, teaching the kids basic knot tying, casting and fish handling. While Peter and Dan from DPI spoke to the kids about fish stocking, tagging, measuring and identification among other things.

Apparently Dave Downie isn't totally bullet proof and sickness kept him away from the event and representing 4BC.

Over a hundred good fish were caught and carefully released. The best of the kids caught 8 fish each in not much more than an hour, biggest fish going around 15kg. Not a bad effort for kids who had little or no fishing experience.

Just to further clarify, The Parklands Authority does not normally allow fishing there and between the fences, security cameras and 24hr on site security it would be nearly impossible to sneak in for a fish.

It is good of them to open the site up to allow a day like this to happen and lord knows I had a tonne of fun helping out. I reckon there would have been more than a couple of parents being dragged out fishing again on Sunday.8-)

Little grey men
07-07-2008, 12:40 PM
Sure sounds like a tonne of fun. What sort of fish have they put in there ? 15kg is a big fish :o

shayned
07-07-2008, 01:16 PM
The 15kg was a mistake capture of a lungfish and certainly wasn't targeted. Peter Kind from DPI, took care of the release. He has spent more time cuddling these fish than his wife over the years and was able to get the big beautiful bugger back in the water with a minimum of fuss.

Other than that there are some snodger silvers. Also mullet that had to weigh at least 6lbs and be 60cm in length and went like torpedos. I would love some of these puppies in Kurwongbah for some light tackle and fly fun.:D