PDA

View Full Version : favourite braided line for ofshore fishing.

breamnut
06-07-2008, 08:11 PM
ok because i really want to get into some bigger and better fish i have got my self a nice set up for jigging/trolling and putting a big livie down for what ever.
now i am putting 50lb braid on my torium 20 but was wondering what types of braid you guys prefere.
i know braid isnt ment to be much good for trolling which is why i bought a tld 20 and 15kg backbone rod with 20lb pretest.
i was thinking of tuna terror braid but also though of some platil mellenium.
i dont really like wiplash as ive seen it break many times well unde its recomended breaking strain:-/

Braddles
06-07-2008, 08:16 PM
seen some braide at seemingly insane prices on ebay.... 500m roll of 50lb breaking strain for 25 dollars delivered.... didnt check out lighter line, but all there. Have no idea of quality though.

griz066
06-07-2008, 08:52 PM
I like berkley fireline

leelee
06-07-2008, 10:20 PM
Mate I use jigman 50lb and its awesome stuff. I have had it on my reel for a while now and its been really good.

There are heaps more brands out there but make sure you buy good quality because half the stuff on the market is rubbish and breaks well below it rated breaking strain.

Do you want a "true" braid or are you happy with gsp's such as fireline?

Also how much money are you willing to depart with as varivas make some of the best braid on the market

Cheers

Lee

breamnut
07-07-2008, 07:32 PM
hey lee, i wouldnt put fireline on it thats for sure but was looking at around $150.
though i think i will just go with some tuff line we have at work, im using it for snapper and prefere it over cast away pe.

OldManRiver
07-07-2008, 07:41 PM
Jigman or Tuffline

smoked
08-07-2008, 06:25 AM
fins will do the job. even tuf line xp

traviso182
08-07-2008, 10:20 AM
i have platypus super braid on a few of our off shore combos and can not fault it. it has a great feel to it, doesnt fade much compared to some other braids, and have had no problems with the knot strength or the line snapping for no reason. cheers.

leelee
08-07-2008, 10:23 AM
hey lee, i wouldnt put fireline on it thats for sure but was looking at around $150.
though i think i will just go with some tuff line we have at work, im using it for snapper and prefere it over cast away pe.

Mate I used to have tuff line on my saltiga and now it resides on the 4500j Capricorn as the jigman replaced

Mate the jigman i have now replaced the tuff line, but the tuff line now resides on the 4500j Capricorn. Its a great line to use and you will be happy with it. Make sure you spool it up under a heap of drag as its a great laying line and it won't bite through or under itself if done with a heap of drag. Also make sure that if any of the yellow coating comes off the line when spooling (it comes off when using spin reels and level winds) that you get rid of it so it does not foul he reel in any way.

Cheers

Lee

trueblue
08-07-2008, 08:41 PM
berkley whiplash pro is good braid

jrf1973
08-07-2008, 09:59 PM
We use 50 pound whiplash and I wouldn't use anything else (at this point anyway). I find it bloody hard to break and I think it's one of the thinest for it's rating ?

My two bob anyway.

breamnut
09-07-2008, 07:26 AM
lee- were can i buy some jigman? the torium looks sexy on the 24kilo jig rod:)

GPB
09-07-2008, 11:53 AM
Mate it's the best, YGK make Jigman along with Castman, the Ultas [thinner and dearer versions], Nitlon and the Galis range of leader and FC, I know Tackle World Kawana have it so I presume all Tackle World stores stock it.

leelee
09-07-2008, 12:39 PM
lee- were can i buy some jigman? the torium looks sexy on the 24kilo jig rod:)

Sorry mate I do not know.

I got mine from Otto's in sydney as I wanted the bigger spools not the 300m spool. I think i got the 600m spool.

Cheers

Lee

snapperbasher
09-07-2008, 02:28 PM
I use nitlon all my reels with braid are spooled with it from 6lb to 40lb its all been good.

Roo
09-07-2008, 02:38 PM
the Tuffline is very good in 50lb. recent tests showed it's average break strength being about 65lb. I've snagged a rig off tweed and ended up using the boat to break it off... and that was with 60lb 10x leader so it ties a good knot too.
I have, however, converted to whiplash of late and while it is very thin it does have its issues. I've been busted off a couple of times and not always at the leader knot....sometimes it breaks mid length. I don't know if that is because my knots are fantastic;) or the braid is inconsistant. I reckon its benefits in being so thin out weigh the compromises in knot strength. either way I fish 20lb whiplash and 14lb leader if i want to max it out.....if you want to fish 50lb effectively I'd suggest you up the mainline size to 80lb in whiplash....it should still be thinner than 50lb tuffline but give you a bit of safety margin.....and cheap as chips too!;D

cheers Roo.

reggy
09-07-2008, 05:34 PM
Breamnut
Don`t let anyone tell you braid is no good for trolling bluewater. I have been using bionic and nitlon braid on my Avets for trolling up big spanish macks and it is great for setting hooks.
I use Tuffline and Nitlon in 25kg on my Torium 20 for reef fishing and it is brilliant.
The only thing I use mono for now is floating pillies for school macks on 10kg.

Tim_N
09-07-2008, 05:39 PM
Penn Power Pro or Fins.