PDA

View Full Version : Bill Corten

TRD-70
06-07-2008, 07:22 PM
Just looking at the Bill Corten offshore fishing course. Does anyone know of the cost and what they take you through? Also do you use his boat or yours and is the cost per boat or per person?

A lot of questions but need to ask.

wags on the water
06-07-2008, 07:28 PM
Both the courses are done in Bill's boat. I did both courses in Jan this year in his old boat (625 outsider) and I think $400 for the Bar Course and $500 for the Fishing course. Contact him either by phone or email.
He has upgraded to the 685 explorer and what a mighty fine boat it is.

Cost per person.

Cheers,
Wags

TimiBoy
06-07-2008, 07:34 PM
The $900 for the pair is money VERY well spent. You will not die as quickly (or ever, preferably;D;D;D) on the bar, and he will help you deliver real money's worth on your future fishing outings.

The guy's a gem, and his boat will make you jealous!

Cheers,

Tim

wags on the water
06-07-2008, 07:35 PM
I thought I knew all about fishing until I met Bill and did his courses. He is a wealth of information. Since then I've always come home with a feed.

Wags

kind_cir
07-07-2008, 05:07 PM
Interested in this too. Can someone give us a rundown on what he goes through, not details but subjects. And do you use his gear or yours, and how many days does it run for?

TimiBoy
07-07-2008, 05:15 PM
Interested in this too. Can someone give us a rundown on what he goes through, not details but subjects. And do you use his gear or yours, and how many days does it run for?

A few hours at his place one evening going through internet aids, navigation, knots and equipment, weather reading, and he gives you a nice pack with all the details. Instruction in how to use your sounder (he knows them all) and GPS (he knows that too.)

The day on the water is his gear and tackle, his food and drink, his GPS marks! The day is long, and very full. Anchor recovery, GPS and sounder instruction, navigation. If you behave you might get a few stories thrown in!!

Cheers,

Tim

honda900
07-07-2008, 05:29 PM
I have also done both his courses, well worth the dough if you can, especially the bar crossing course.

You do a 4 hour session one night at his place, learning, the basics of rods, reels tackle, theory on navigation, general information, then baits rigs and presentation, then the knots, so take your glasses for those visionally challenged among us..

A day on the water, how to use your sounder, what to look for, what type of structure you should be looking for, how to anchor and get where you need to fish, bait gathering techniques, bait presentation, locations sounding, maps how to use your parachute anchor.

And at the end of the day a couple of marks and the fish you caught, and your photo in bush and beach to show your mates.

Mate it is worth it even if you are an experienced fisho, will help you refine some of your techniques.

Regards
HOnda

kind_cir
07-07-2008, 05:44 PM
Well I'm sold. If you were to go on a average charter and fish with 2doz others and tangle lines ect for a day you'd be up for 2-$250 and you'd prob be lucky to get a feed. So to learn the ropes, so to speak, $500 would be well worth it for me, even though I scab fishing trips where I can.

Ps: Don't get me wrng there are some bloddy good charter operaters out there worth their weight in gold, and there are some that are just plain crap.

ianr
07-07-2008, 06:47 PM
I've done both courses and they were fantastic. You will certainly shorten the offshore learning curve! The tucker is good too. Bill takes no short cuts and ensures that you are competent in all areas. Highly reccommended.
Ian:)

L-Plate
11-07-2008, 02:38 PM
Anyone know how to contact Bill? Everyone seems to know about him, but i can't seem to locate him:-[

Fido
11-07-2008, 05:27 PM
My son and I did the Bar Training Course and the Fishing Tuition Course with Bill Corten. It truly is money well spent. He takes the time and makes the effort to help you through.

His boat is superb.

A great and safe day out.

Well done Bill.

Outsider1
11-07-2008, 05:27 PM
I am sure his contact details were posted in another thread recently?

Ah here it is!; see post 3 in this thread;

"0447233247

32863647"

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=134270

Cheers

Mtx
11-07-2008, 07:18 PM
only ever saw Bill once and that was at Budds bait and tackle in cleveland where he pulled in the driveway and blocked it with his boat. Could not get out of the carpark while he was in there having a chat :) hehehehehe

ozscott
11-07-2008, 07:55 PM
I first met Bill back in 89 - he was the secretary of the Marine Board of Queensland. Great fella and knows his stuff.

Cheers