View Full Version : To many trips not enough fish

nispro4x4
06-07-2008, 04:23 PM
Hey all

Well after a full year since i brought my boat (6.8 m seastorm plate
alloy fishing boat) many offshore fishing trips around 70 to 80 hrs
worth with very limited sucess. To get to the point it would be greatly
appreciated if some of the members could give me some good starting points
gps marks for some good reef spots offshore bait ground.
we allway use good freash bait and have good quality gear rods reels sounders and still
no fish :(
most often we fish out off south passage and north around the cape
if anyone is going out and would mind another boat i would be more that happy to
tag along.

Regards to all
luke

TimiBoy
06-07-2008, 06:20 PM
Luke,

It's good advice. Ring Bill Corten and have a chat about his course.

He will give go so much more than just a few marks. You will get a complete rundown in techniques to find and catch various species, and you will come home with some good fish. I did the course, best damn thing I ever did. I would do that ASAP, then use the marks he gives you to get you started.

You have a lovely rig, and Bill will give you the tools you need to make it work.

Cheers,

Tim

peterbo3
06-07-2008, 06:20 PM
Luke,
The fish biting on a mark today may not be hungry tomorrow. Go back into the offshore reports & see when people are catching fish in relation to moon phase. Dawn & dusk are often good bite times.
I suggest you go out, sound around & look for fish over structure or rubble. East of Cape Moreton in 80-90M would be a good place to start.

wags on the water
06-07-2008, 06:31 PM
Luke,

For about $15 buy yourself a copy of 500 fishing spots(GPS Marks). Some of these marks are starter marks then sound around these areas to find the fish. Bill's offshore fishing course is also well worth the money as there is much to learn other than just having all the gear.

Good luck,
Wags

Outsider1
06-07-2008, 06:37 PM
There are dozens of GPS marks available freely on the net for the main reef systems off Morton Island. They will at least give you the general location and direction of the main reef structures. If you don't already have them let me know and I will chase them up for you and post here.

Have to agree that a Bill Corten course has got to be a good starting point and well worth the money.

Cheers

Dave

nispro4x4
06-07-2008, 06:48 PM
well
no probs with bar crossing i done the corse with bill in about 4 m
of swell bill said if it had gotin any biger we would have gone home, lol
witch was all i wanted to do from the word go

wags on the water
06-07-2008, 07:15 PM
Baitmi S27 17.998 E153 27.893
D Temp1 S27 08.000 E153 32.900
D Temp2 S27 08.000 E153 35.000

lido76
07-07-2008, 01:58 PM
Hey luke I fish mainly up the sunny coast off mooloolaba your boat is alot more suited to offshore work than mine but i have been catching plenty of fish in the cal12mile to cal wide area. I would be happy for you to tag along with me one day. I fish mainly thursdays or fridays. Your boat would leave me in your wake I have a 4.4m side console so my days are very limited to the weather if your keen for a shot up the coast drop me a pm and we will try and arrange something .What area do you live.

indy
07-07-2008, 06:09 PM
G'day luke,

Go into the electronics section of ausfish and at the top of the page is sounder readings you will get alot of useful information from here.

When chasing reefy's you need to set your sounder up so your sounding say about the last 15 to 20m of water for eg. say your fishing 60metres have your sounder scaning the area from the 40 metre mark to the 60 metre being the bottom this way if your fishing over ground that does have real big risers you will notice the rises and everything won't look like flat ground because you scale on the sounder will be in alot smaller increments, instead of being say 10m lots 0-10
10-20, 20-30 eg it might be more like 40-42, 42-44, 44-46 (hope this is making sense) and then also a major factor for finding fish is you have to play around with your gain the deeper the water the more gain your going to need, as soon as you start getting clutter (little dots on your screen just back it down until they are barely there.

Any way do your self a favour and spend a couple of hours in the sounder section it will help heaps. Fish before the sun up and fish as the sun is going down. Hope this helps a little someone also mentioned getting the 500 hottest gps book i have found some pretty good ground around these general marks you just need to sound around a bit to find it.

Good luck and if you want to tag along some time i can put you in the general area to get amongst them.

cheers pete...