PDA

View Full Version : Mig Welder "Rectifier?"

Jock The Rock
06-07-2008, 03:41 PM
Gday

i was just havin a quick squiz on ebay as im hoping to pick up a MIG welder for myself at some stage.

i found a CIG Cigweld Transmig 130 Twin Mig Welder that apparently has something wrong with the rectifier.

i know how to weld and all but wot is a rectifier? and would it be expensive to fix on this model of welder?

Thanks Jock

pedrodepacus
06-07-2008, 04:30 PM
mate have heard of them when yhe sparky was fixing one of the machines at work give mark at gold coast welding supplies a call he will be able to point you in the right direction

dnej
06-07-2008, 04:34 PM
a rectifier attachment which is an electrical "one‑way flow valve" permitting the AC welding current to only flow in one direction, thus achieving a DC effect.

David

Jock The Rock
06-07-2008, 04:50 PM
Thanks for ur help

you wouldnt have any idea how expensive this would be would you?

Jock

trev1
07-07-2008, 07:28 PM
dont worry about that welder if you're ever going to weld ally. I have one and can only get it welding alloy with a good preheat of the job even on 2.5mm

BM
07-07-2008, 09:03 PM
Depends on the current handling ability of the rectifier. A rectifier is typically a set of 4 diodes (for full wave rectification) or 2 for half wave rectification. The rectifier "rectifies" (converts) the incoming AC current (from a 240v source etc) to a DC current.

The higher the current handling capacity the more expensive the rectifier. For example Dick Smith sell a 600V, 35A rectifier for $4.95. I imagine your rectifier would be a much greater current unit than that, and therefor considerably more expensive.

in any case, ring the manufacturer of that unit and they will be able to price the part over the phone. Make sure you have the model number of the unit in question.

Cheers

Wayne_Red
07-07-2008, 09:13 PM
Hi Jock
As Dave has said the rectifier converts AC incoming powert to DC. Mig welders run on DC+ the handy man stick welders are AC.
I just looked on google and the 130 twin (new) is around $800. Worth looking on google, there are a few comments about that welder on forums, I just put in transmig 130.
Personally I think welder of that size are a bit of a sale gimik to suck in handymen. They realy don't perform that well and you would be disappointed. You are better off saving your money to buy one around the 180-250 amps. I used to have a 225 migomag as an example, great welder, plenty of power for all metals. 180 IMO would be the absolute minimum to give good performance and weld quality.
Regards Wayne

griz066
07-07-2008, 09:47 PM
I just bought one of these and it is a bloody ripper $1300

http://www.welding.com.au/dw118-63/new-release-weldmatic-150/

23-sharkcat
08-07-2008, 07:30 AM
If you guy are going to weld ally the biggest thing you will need to look for is what sort of drive roller you can get for the machine.

I run a sign company and we just built the 2 biggest signs in QLD for Skilled Park on the gold coast.

I looked at getting a push pull gun for my Transmig 350 to do all the ally work. looked at the costs and ended up buying a Kemmpi because it had trapaziodal rollers. Now I went through about 10 rolls of 0.9 ally wire to build this with only twice getting a birds nest at the drive rollers.

The transmig 130 is a piece of crap. If you can get one of the older transmig single phase machines you could buy some u groove rollers for it.

honda900
08-07-2008, 02:42 PM
I think Hamish73 fixes or has worked in a place that repairs welders, so he may be able to give you some advise.

Regards
HOnda