PDA

View Full Version : Splash rails? Anyone got some?

iricangi
06-07-2008, 02:45 PM
Has anyone got extra marine uv material on their bow rails to prevent spray and excess wash coming onto the deck of their boat?

Looking at putting some on our centre console to prevent sea spray soaking us in northernlys

Anyone recommend doing it? is there any down sides to having them?

Dreamweaver
06-07-2008, 02:57 PM
Haven't done it myself as I have a Cuddy Cab with high coamings and foredeck, so don't have the need. See plenty of boats with them though. As long as they're well installed (so they shed water) I can't imagine any dramas. But others may have a more informed opinion.

Depending on the height/length of your rails, the only possible disadvantage may be that they catch more wind when drifting. Maybe.

Well, that's by 5c, hopefully, it will encourage others more knowledgeable to respond.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn130/___DREAMWEAVER___/Emoticons/E-thumbsup.gif

dnej
06-07-2008, 02:58 PM
Got my material from Whitworths.Used eyelets,in brass.
Got the minister for finance to sew them up.
Works great.
David

iricangi
06-07-2008, 03:02 PM
Ah that looks awesome dnej, how did you attach them down at the hull line? we are thinking of riviting ours to the gunnel we have a 6 inch gunnel that has a rubber lining all along the boat.

dnej
06-07-2008, 03:15 PM
PVC white hooks,also from Whitworths,and attached with cord.You could use the elastic bungee stuff,also from same place
David

dnej
06-07-2008, 03:28 PM
http://www.whitworths.com.au/products/43653_lg.jpgCalled a lacing hook.
David

Hornet Rider
06-07-2008, 10:04 PM
David,

Might be a dumb question, but what's all that chain on your trailer for? Also, what kind of boat is your's. Look great by the way.

cheers, Mark

JRBK
07-07-2008, 07:38 AM
I have them on my centre console. Definately helps keep the spray out and down.
Mine has eyelets and roped onto the bars, then its clipped to the sides.
Cheers
Mark.

Reef_fisher
07-07-2008, 09:15 AM
I have them on my centre console and they worked, in that they kept the amount of spray down but did not eliminate it. They are rivited to the gunnel and laced to the outer part of the rail. Not to derail the thread but I actually eliminated most of the spray by a reconfig of my boat, I put a pod on the back 4.5m now 5.1m and moved the console back slightly, about 400-500mm. I now have a dry ride 50kms out to the reef in good conditions and just some spray during the rough stuff.

If the spray is a real concern, or bulk water coming into the boat maybe looking at the config of the boat or even how you load the boat might get rid of some of the problem. Too much weight up the front will make your boat tend to punch through the waves instead of going over them, this is the problem I had. Hope this helps.

dnej
07-07-2008, 10:19 AM
Mark,
My trailer is a tilt trailer.
The chains are limiting chains,to control the amount of tilt.

I adusted the chains ,so that when it tilts,the trailer doesnt bottom out ,onto the ramp.
The ones above the draw bar,are of course tie downs,while travelling.
David

cobiaman
07-07-2008, 07:15 PM
you can also just zip tie them onto the rail, they work great