PDA

View Full Version : bass retrieve's???

baitmaster
06-07-2008, 10:43 AM
heyy guys

would like to know a good retrieve for some bass in somerset dam any help appreciated

pat

MeePee_99
06-07-2008, 10:49 AM
if you are using spinnersbaits, jackalls and soft plastics. Just a slow constant roll will do the trick!!!!

darylive
06-07-2008, 12:11 PM
Agreed, slow retrieve on the cast and an occasional twitch won't hurt if there is no action.

Also jig; two up, two down and be ready on the drop. Take up line on the two up i.e. lift up wind down then release line on the next two lifts to get the lure down again, this way you are covering 3 or four meters of the strike zone.

Take a jumper and wind cheater this time of year.

Leigh77
07-07-2008, 03:50 PM
A slow roll will generally produce results as already said...

but dont be scared to experiment. Often a full speed retrieve will work too, or the good old burn 'n' kill (flat out then stop, flat out then stop). Then there is always what I call the "5yo retrieve"...watch any 5yo child retrieve a lure and you will see what I mean...its erratic, all over the place, fast, slow, stop, stop, flat out, with the rod tip going anywhere and everywhere in between.

Most serious lure casters wont do it because it doesnt look natural, but my 5yo has good catches on it...and so do I.

Little grey men
08-07-2008, 09:07 AM
Then there is always what I call the "5yo retrieve"...watch any 5yo child retrieve a lure and you will see what I mean...its erratic, all over the place, fast, slow, stop, stop, flat out, with the rod tip going anywhere and everywhere in between.

Most serious lure casters wont do it because it doesnt look natural, but my 5yo has good catches on it...and so do I.

I know what you mean mate, I've watched my boy especially when he works a plastic. Stop, start, up, down, and when he flicks the rod tip up it's usually quite gentle. He works spinnerbaits the same way ??? but the bass don't seem to mind. Always think outside the box.

stormysrider
08-07-2008, 02:10 PM
A slow roll will generally produce results as already said...

but dont be scared to experiment. Often a full speed retrieve will work too, or the good old burn 'n' kill (flat out then stop, flat out then stop). Then there is always what I call the "5yo retrieve"...watch any 5yo child retrieve a lure and you will see what I mean...its erratic, all over the place, fast, slow, stop, stop, flat out, with the rod tip going anywhere and everywhere in between.

I think this is also called the 6 pack retreive! As in this is how I retreive after I have drunk one!