PDA

View Full Version : Advice for offshore reel and rod

Braddles
05-07-2008, 10:14 PM
I am pretty new to the offshore fishing scene, mainly going out on charters every 8 weeks or so.

Style of fishing is predominatley bottom bashing for big snapper and pearlies during winter, and in warmer months mainly trolling for big pelagics such as wahoo, small marlin, macs and the like.

I would also like to be able to jig with it if I want to - but this would not be common use and only for periods of 20 mins or so.

I would like to spend around the $500.00 mark.

As far as rods go - I have no idea.

Is it true rods are specifically designed for overhead reels in that a rod designed for an under reel (egg beater etc) could be damaged by flexion in reverse arch?

As far as reels go; I have looked at these and would be interested in what the off shore guys here would recommend and why.

1. Daiwa Saltist 40

2. Shimano Tyrnos 30 2speed

3. Shimano Torium 30 or 50

4. Shimano TLD 30 or 50

5. ??? Shimano Tiagra - but perhaps out of price range unless can buy online fromUSA and import.

6. Shimano Trinidad 30 or 40

7. Any thing else someone may suggest.

So many reels from one manufacturer - no wonder I am confused. I would like objective reasons as well as people's personal preference if possible.

Many thanks for taking the time to answer

Kind Regards,

Brad.

Skusto
06-07-2008, 10:41 AM
wilson live fibre overhead rod 15-24kg rod bought one a few months back and my fishing has seriously improved from it great little rod u can feel the tiniest bites in it in over 70m of water and can hold some big fish last trip the sharks hit us and it had no problems holding the shark got some strenth in them. i picked up mine for $200

Yes u should only use overhead rods for overhead reels all though we have used normal rods from time to time but the eyelids are further apart on normal rods so the line can actually rub against the blank and end up costing you line and fish. were as the overhead rods the eyelids are closer together near the top so that doesnt happen

Skusto
06-07-2008, 10:47 AM
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=133056

have a look in this thread someone asked about overhead reels not long ago and all the guys gave there advice on reels.

Braddles
06-07-2008, 01:10 PM
thanks mate...

Sooooooo many choices.

Its hard - I mean even Shiimano, one brand, make so many reels for the one application.... and you go to their site and it doesnt really explain their strengths / weaknesses

Lucky for ausfish :-)

iricangi
06-07-2008, 02:55 PM
I'd say the Tyrnos 30 2 speed, can get a little heavy while bottom bashing for a few hours, at 1kg its a lil heavy, but nothing a big lad can't handle.

You can use this reel for jigging and trolling, the tlds do the job and are very very robust but have a smaller ratio, when jigging with a tld you will get sore very fast lol, unless you put a tyrnos handle on it. Makes it just as good as t he tyrnos 30 but not as smooth.

That should give u around 200ish for a live fibre rod 15-24kg is the mark you want to get.

Good luck!

Dreamweaver
06-07-2008, 03:17 PM
Hey Braddles,

OK, you want to Jig, Troll and Bottom Bounce. Three completely different things so a lot would say you'll need to compromise a bit.

1 - the rod, yes, my understanding it's about the 'backbone' of the rod and the set (and number) of the (line) guides between an overhead rod and a 'std' rod.

2 - if you are going to do a LOT of jigging and/or bottom bouncing, then you want a rod that is light, sensitive tip, but has some 'guts' to stop you from getting buried by a stonka.

3 - you want some sensitivity in the tip, so you can feel the bights.

4 - make sure you match your reel to your rod. There's no point buying a live fibre or graphite (light) rod, if you hang a brick off it.

5 - consider how heavy you are going to (say knife) jig with. Most rods will have not only the PE rating, but also the recommended (gram) jif weight range.

If you are going deep with decent sized knife jigs around to 200-300 mark, then a Shimano T-Curve 200 Jig OH with trigger won't cut it, but you may find a 400 is too stiff. (Just using those as examples)

6 - if you are going an overhead, you need to decide if you are going level wind or not. Level winds are good for beginners (sorry to use that term)because you don't need to thumb (line feed) the mono, braid onto the reel. BUT - make sure you keep the 'line-set' on the reel at the same place as the level winds - otherwise you can have all sorts of problems with strain on the level wind itself, and the worm drive that operates it. Best way to do this is ALWAYS makes sure the line is kept out in front of the level wind and not back onto the reel.

7 - If intend bottom bouncing in deeper water, then most prefer braid to mono (well std mono anyway) as it has less stretch and therefore more 'bite sensitivity'

8 - But this brings me onto trolling - many advocate using mono only as it has more shock when fish strike and is therefore less prone to 'lip-rip' of the fish. Others will contest this and advocate a substantial (length wise) wind on leader with low profile knots that don't catch in your guides.

9 - Guides - goes back to weight and necessity. Personally, I wouldn't go roller guides but good quality guides like Fuji SICS for example.

10 - So, if you want to use mono for trolling and braid for bottom bouncing, you might want to NOT consider an overhead so you have the advantage of two spools. Just because you bottom bounce, doesn't mean you HAVE to use an overhead.

11 - Trolling - what are you trolling for? Big billies that will pull off tons of line? Unless you are prepared to chase them down, then many would advocate an overhead.

12 - Make sure you match the drag of your reel, line class and rod. Otherwise you won't stop the fish, get buried, or snap the rod.

Phew! Hope that helps. :P

Dreamweaver
06-07-2008, 03:30 PM
Oh, I forgot one more point ;D

13) The curve of the rod. Different rods have different 'curve characteristics' under load - some are more parabolic than others. The Tcurve 200, for instance is more parabolic than others. Maybe go in and 'load up' a few rods and see how they feel to you. Everyone has their preferred rods.

So; that's not recommending any one rod/reel combination, just some things to consider. 8-)

Braddles
06-07-2008, 06:20 PM
Dream weaver - thanks so much mate for taking the time to answer me - an awesome read and some great info.

I would say I would do 60% bottom bashing in 32 - 50fathoms of water

30% trolling for small marlin, wahoo and the like

10% jigging for yellow tail king fish at the 50 mark.

Wilson live fibre 15-24 wit a Tyrnos 30 2 speed is looking the goods.... just want to get one set up to feel it first.

Thanks again everyone :-)

Dreamweaver
06-07-2008, 06:34 PM
A pleasure Braddles, always keen to help out a fellow fisho, yeah a 15-24 is a very useful range! YTKs go hard - you'll have some fun mate!

;D

Really worth loading up a few rods! Oh, and get yourself a good rod bucket, and remember to 'pump and wind'. Oh, and the longer the rod, (generally) the harder work it is. (Ok, so sneaked in 14,15 and 16 ;D)

Enjoy mate! You're gonna love it! 8-)