PDA

View Full Version : Lake Awoonga

Terry Barnes
05-07-2008, 12:10 PM
I'm interested in the barra fishing at Lake Awoonga some time 2009, what are the better seasons, I'm going to tow the boat up, B/Fin Barracuda and stay a week, then a week at 1770 any info on either would be grateful.

Terry ::)

Thepato
05-07-2008, 12:50 PM
Go when it is hot. Things seem to really slow down between April and October with the low water temps.

BR65
05-07-2008, 02:06 PM
gday Terry, Awoonga is THE place for big barra mate, forget the rest;)

have a try on the search button, look for posts by vet, awoonga, matrix, a differant perspective, just to name a few, they are locals with the clues, plenty of info there, alternatively, when Im going some where new, I troll thru the reports archives, looking for posts on an area around the same weather, moon or season times.
watch the boards, when the weather warms up abit, this place will be jumping with barra chat again
1770, some great offshore stuff, wides, boult, fitzroy etc etc, havent really fished the estuary there, so will let others comment on that aspect.
there is a little puddle of water you go past on the way up, think its called monduran or something, apparently the odd barra comes out of there
cheers
brian

Whitto
05-07-2008, 02:29 PM
G'Day Terry, Brian advise is spot on the money....Awoonga is without a doubt the place u should head for to get that Barra fix.......The place Brian mentioned is Monondah or smething like that not a patch on Awoonga .........mate have a great trip you'll proberbly get some great advisr from a bloke named Trev whose home impoundment is Awoonga.........Cheers Whitto;) PS: Just joking Terry......On the way through or Home call in to Monduran (Fred Haigh Dam) just north of Gin Gin and have a ball.......It costs enough money as it is to do trips so you may as well make the most of your Dollar and have a look....Good Luck in 2009

Awoonga
05-07-2008, 08:09 PM
Go when it is hot. Things seem to really slow down between April and October with the low water temps. Someone didnt tell the Barra that this winter ;D ;D ;D .....June and July have been ....Lets just say fruitful.....

Awoonga
05-07-2008, 08:17 PM
Brian and Whitto.. Went to that place today.Never going back to Monduran ever.....Them fish just too big.... Somebodys going to get eaten..My back will never be the same....

nipsta
05-07-2008, 08:51 PM
Brian and Whitto.. Went to that place today.Never going back to Monduran ever.....Them fish just too big.... Somebody's going to get eaten..My back will never be the same....

know you no why my back is stuffed trev and im in need of surgery

Whitto
06-07-2008, 07:01 AM
Thats what I hear Trev....the cooler water is not slowing em down;)...well maybe a little bit......There is no doubt in my mind that largeeeeeeee Barra lurk in them there waters::)....... Will be obtaining the services of Eric's magic complete with appropriate reel and a stungun to attempt to see just what is lurking:o......The natives are getting restless and I don't know if I will wait till things warm up a bit:-/.....I must be getting soft.......IBD hovers........more to the point Trev did u boat anything....I wait with baited breath....Whitto

Whitto
06-07-2008, 07:04 AM
know you no why my back is stuffed trev and im in need of surgery I know what stuffed your back up Simon......U Ro.t r.t.....but it's been a good result...and thats all that matters and the surgery....Whitto;D

NAGG
06-07-2008, 07:33 AM
Someone didnt tell the Barra that this winter ;D ;D ;D .....June and July have been ....Lets just say fruitful.....

bloody locals ;D I still reckon those barra get caught , just so they can say G'day to you Trev::) ;D ;D

Chris

Steve B
06-07-2008, 09:53 AM
Trevs on fire at Awoonga at the moment, now hes smashing them at Monduran too!!! Great to see. Scary the think how well Trev will do when he actually gets his own boat!!!
Nipsta, good luck with the surgery mate. You will need all you strength to haul them big ones in at Awoonga this year!!! Monduran will shut down soon.;)

To the original post, Terry, I would plan you trip around what is firing at 1770, then tack your week at Awoonga onto that. Just check out this forum closer to the time you keen to go. Or you can PM anyone of us here, and you will get honest advice or at the least, pointed in the right direction or the the right person to assist you on what is happening at the time.

Steve

darylive
06-07-2008, 12:35 PM
So Steve, Monduran is go slow now?

Awoonga
06-07-2008, 02:17 PM
Thats what I hear Trev....the cooler water is not slowing em down;)...well maybe a little bit......There is no doubt in my mind that largeeeeeeee Barra lurk in them there waters::)....... Will be obtaining the services of Eric's magic complete with appropriate reel and a stungun to attempt to see just what is lurking:o......The natives are getting restless and I don't know if I will wait till things warm up a bit:-/.....I must be getting soft.......IBD hovers........more to the point Trev did u boat anything....I wait with baited breath....Whitto Whitto if you use the term boated then only one because the others where just too big to lift..... And l do fear for these big fish because of there size...Getting then into boat is going is be a mission...

Whitto
06-07-2008, 02:47 PM
I know what u are saying......To lift these big girls in some sort of comfort lift out of the water without damaging or killing them is ever increasingly difficult.......it's pretty much leave them in the net, measure, remove the lure, and if u have a deckie get a photo and back into the water.......Im still mystifyed how SteveB got Homer out of the water and a photo to boot....It's a monumental effort and I know Steve won't be offended by me saying this He's not the biggest bloke in the world but obviously strong....the adrenalin would have been pumping at the time......Once u get your Weapon of Mass Destruction Trev u should be a bit lower to the water so it won't be too much of a struggle;D...catchup with u down the track Mate....Cheers Whitto

Tropicaltrout
06-07-2008, 03:15 PM
there is a little puddle of water you go past on the way up, think its called monduran or something, apparently the odd barra comes out of there
cheers
brian[/quote]

Have you been there Brian I am keen to give that puddle a try:lost:

Nath;D

BR65
06-07-2008, 07:51 PM
nath, I know a bloke whos neighbours dads mechanic goes to church with a fella that heard some guy at the pub talkin about the place

trev, good to hear their still chewin, some big girls in there for sure

Steve B
06-07-2008, 08:00 PM
So Steve, Monduran is go slow now?

Na mate, Just trying to jokingly steer em away to awoonga for something different!!! Its going OK, not super, but OK. I landed 1 on fri arvo and dropped/hits from another 4 between thurs arvo and fri arvo.

Whitto, I have to be honest I originally skull dragged homer with lip grips and bass net up the rear taking the weight. not the prettiest or 'reccommended' so I feel pretty bad, after a few quick photos, back in the water hanging of the grips. Then Eric netted it with BIG net and rest is history. It swam off good...after that???? I'd like to think its OK. Adrenaline has a bit to do with it. I was definalty shaking heaps after...and stuffed!!

Steve

vet
07-07-2008, 11:17 AM
Hi Steve, don't bother trying to send anyone to awoonga it's dead slow at the moment. Trev and myself only landed 6 on thursday and then 5 on friday, which is down about 66% on the week before and it rained most of last night so rapid cooling at present should make it harder again. I hear that monduran is still fishing great though so no need to travel for another hour and a half up here. Only 4-5 boats out on the water, magic, cheers scott.

Steve B
07-07-2008, 12:40 PM
Scott,
down 66% and only 11 fish in 2 days....you poor buggers;D it must be so hard to cope with that!! Ha Ha.

I think thats a good sign beatiful scenic fish-a-plenty Awoonga IS going better than the dirty old dodgey mudhole shutdown Monduran!!:) ;D ;)
Steve.

vet
07-07-2008, 04:45 PM
Good one Steve, Monduran may lack quantity but the quality is much better than awoonga. The 3 fish trev got on saturday were bigger than anything we've caught in awoonga for 6 months. So Monduran is definitely the place to go to get big fish.
Scott.

Whitto
07-07-2008, 04:56 PM
Good one Steve, Monduran may lack quantity but the quality is much better than awoonga. The 3 fish trev got on saturday were bigger than anything we've caught in awoonga for 6 months. So Monduran is definitely the place to go to get big fish.
Scott. I smell a rat here>:(.....How on earth can you compare Mudhole Monduran to that Prestine Wonderland know as Awesome Awoonga:D....God's country where The Barra are Hughhhhh in number as well as Hughhhhhh in size;)....I myself give Mudhole Monduran a wide birth by travelling the western route just to get to Awoonga;D..........Whitto

NAGG
07-07-2008, 06:50 PM
Scott.

Scott ..... now you are not trying to mislead us are you ......
::) Trev off an Awoonga beach in March 30392

Nagg

BR65
07-07-2008, 06:51 PM
apparently the water at monduran stains the paint on your boat, corrodes your trailer, and is used by southern breweries to make their beer - apparently

warrior
07-07-2008, 07:08 PM
got this with trev last week not a nice place to be really

NAGG
07-07-2008, 07:08 PM
apparently the water at monduran stains the paint on your boat, corrodes your trailer, and is used by southern breweries to make their beer - apparently

Now Brian ..... You cant catch barra in the Cooks River & I know that xxxx use water from river at Yatala!!!!

You can only fool some of the people ...... some of the time!

Nagg

warrior
07-07-2008, 07:16 PM
sorry people pic never came out will try again

NAGG
07-07-2008, 07:34 PM
sorry people pic never came out will try again

Looks like something out of the Brisbane river ;)

Nagg

BR65
07-07-2008, 07:47 PM
warrior, that is one ugly monduran barra, that thing makes the little trip up the road to big A all the more worth it, looks like you got it in the deep water of the basin as well?????????;)

Tropicaltrout
07-07-2008, 08:05 PM
Thats the best Mondy barra I have seen in a while form the puddle, yep Awoonga is the place dreams are made and for-filled

Make sure your well spooled up if you hit Awoonga its not uncommon for TWO fish to hit the lure at the same time!!!!!!

Hey XXXX started in Victoria.

Nath

BR65
07-07-2008, 08:14 PM
that made me laff nath;D

NAGG
07-07-2008, 08:32 PM
Thats the best Mondy barra I have seen in a while form the puddle, yep Awoonga is the place dreams are made and for-filled

Make sure your well spooled up if you hit Awoonga its not uncommon for TWO fish to hit the lure at the same time!!!!!!

Hey XXXX started in Victoria.

Nath

that explains everything ::) ::)

Nagg

SQUIDDA
08-07-2008, 07:33 AM
I'm interested in the barra fishing at Lake Awoonga some time 2009, what are the better seasons, I'm going to tow the boat up, B/Fin Barracuda and stay a week, then a week at 1770 any info on either would be grateful.

Terry ::)
Gday Terry.Barra fishing at Awoonga is year round.Do yourself a favour and hire a guide for a day.You will learn so much and save alot of time.There is plenty of accomodation close to the dam.Camping and cabins.Motel at nearby Benaraby.Lake Monduran near Gin Gin has been producing some huge fish latley and would definently be worth a look.Good camping at the lake.1770 is a beautiful place at anytime of year.Great offshore fishing when weather is good(Big Reds).Great creek fishing and crabbing also.1770 has it all.All sorts of accomodation from 5 star to bush camping.Have fun!!

Dan;D

Awoonga
08-07-2008, 07:50 AM
Ok Guys , there is too much fishing pressure on Awoonga in winter so l think action needs to be taken.....Last week there was a least five trailers at the ramp during the day... l am going to write to GAWB to get a closed season at Awoonga during winter ,,, if you live outside of the postcode 4680 . no fishing unless you go with a guide... As you can see l have thought about this long and hard...There will be a checkpoint where you paperwork will be checked... There is a couple of guys that used to work at Lenthals dam,, so they will know what to do....Just thought of something else... if you wish you can go with a local thats ok but no fishing...you can watch him and take photos of his fish...There may be a small charge to cover his expences....

warrior
08-07-2008, 08:36 AM
;) i will use one of the best again next visit trev

Steve B
08-07-2008, 08:52 AM
Terry (actually anyone really!)

If your looking for a great house at 1770, I rented a house last year called 'merroni' up on the headland at 1770..$550 week off peak, close to boat ramp, BEST views as it is the street below the VMR lookout. Rented it thru beaches of 1770 real estate (just google that). Has 2 bedrooms, 1double and one with 3 or 4 single beds, MASSIVE vveranda with bbq etc. Boat parking is right out the front on the road (about 2 cars a day go past...safe) and is in easy reach of freshwater hose for flushing. Awesome setup/postion for fishing crew.

Steve

BR65
08-07-2008, 05:03 PM
praise be, some straight answers to a simple question from a fellow fisho, dont you blokes relize that similar posts as found in this thread is the reason ausfish has lost some great members and isnt like it used to be blah blah blah blah rubbish rubbish drivel ;)

Terry, as you can see the boys, and the odd girl, on here are a friendly mob and more than happy to help out, my apoligies if we have sidetracked the post a little, in all honesty, dont forget monduran, great place to fish

chris, that stone fish cant be from brisbane, if he was a true QUEENSLANDER!! he would have been wearing maroon

cheers
brian

Whitto
08-07-2008, 06:26 PM
praise be, some straight answers to a simple question from a fellow fisho, dont you blokes relize that similar posts as found in this thread is the reason ausfish has lost some great members and isnt like it used to be blah blah blah blah rubbish rubbish drivel ;)

Terry, as you can see the boys, and the odd girl, on here are a friendly mob and more than happy to help out, my apoligies if we have sidetracked the post a little, in all honesty, dont forget monduran, great place to fish

chris, that stone fish cant be from brisbane, if he was a true QUEENSLANDER!! he would have been wearing maroon

cheers
brian I think what has happened Brian we have gone off track a tad the excitement of winning 3 series in a row has distracted us somewhat........But as u know advice and assistance is always paramount for those who require assistance.........I wonder if we can contact the NSW Selectors and offer help....I think pride would get in the road......all they have to do is call Phil (Mr McGoo )Gould he apparently know's everything.....doesn't he;D

Terry Barnes
22-07-2008, 09:14 AM
Thanks guys for the replies on Awoonga & 1770. the trip will have to be well planned as it is a 3000 + klm trip there and back and it all sounds worth while. Found a bunch of guys down my way who were up at Awoonga last November and returning again this November and are going to make this their annual fishing trip, so I may join them in 2009.

Terry