PDA

View Full Version : Question I never thought I would ask

SNARKER73
04-07-2008, 09:34 PM
If you haven't read already. I have Quitrex 455 Hornet Trophy with a 50 hp on it. It is a 1999 model so the motor is bolted straight on to the . Anyway off topic for a while. The question is Can I fit a ski tube to my boat? Will it do any age to her?
if I can how would i do it?

The things we do for kids:cry: :cry: :end: . Can I be forgiveen considering this?

bigtez
04-07-2008, 10:46 PM
Get hold of a ski 'bridle'. They go between the two handles on either side of the transom and have a pully and float runnign between them. You just attach the ski rope to the pulley/float and it keeps it clear of the motor.

Leighton
05-07-2008, 06:22 AM
go for it, they pull tubes from behind jet ski's no troubles at all

Chimo
05-07-2008, 06:27 AM
Hi Snark

For safety sake it would be worthwhile to make sure your insurance includes waterski cover and 3rd party if you intend to tow people.

The consequences of an an accident, a claim and no cover don't bare thinking about!

Cheers
Chimo

Hornet Rider
05-07-2008, 10:14 AM
Snarker,

and to add to all the good advice so far, recommend after you sort the insurance issue & before you tow anyone, you do a really detailed recce at slow speed of any area you might tow in, including checking charts for any submerged obstacles, noting low water issues, & you do a few tows using simulated bodies - flour or sand bags with sand at the weights of the children you intend to tow. They don't let airline pilots carry passengers until they they prove they can handle a simulated load, & I'd never tow a warm body until I was really comfortable knowing how to operate the boat & how that towed object reacts. Call me old fashioned, but 'you don't know what you don't know' & that's a precious life you'll have on tow. I'd also make them wear a helmet, no helmet no tow, something like a pro Tec water safety helmet http://www.xsportsprotective.com/protec-ace-water-blue.html

Braddles
05-07-2008, 12:00 PM
Snarker,

and to add to all the good advice so far, recommend after you sort the insurance issue & before you tow anyone, you do a really detailed recce at slow speed of any area you might tow in, including checking charts for any submerged obstacles, noting low water issues, & you do a few tows using simulated bodies - flour or sand bags with sand at the weights of the children you intend to tow. They don't let airline pilots carry passengers until they they prove they can handle a simulated load, & I'd never tow a warm body until I was really comfortable knowing how to operate the boat & how that towed object reacts. Call me old fashioned, but 'you don't know what you don't know' & that's a precious life you'll have on tow. I'd also make them wear a helmet, no helmet no tow, something like a pro Tec water safety helmet http://www.xsportsprotective.com/protec-ace-water-blue.html

Great point mate re/- the helmets. I think a water sports helmet should be mandatory safety equipment along with an appropriate PFD and wet suit pants (or at least boardies and double undies under). Seen some sickening head and genital injuries from water skiing, inflatable towing and jet ski stacks.

SNARKER73
06-07-2008, 01:10 PM
ok that takes care of the legal's and saftey ?

But will it damage the hornet?

Jock The Rock
06-07-2008, 04:15 PM
i wouldnt have thought so as long as the handles or whatever u connect the bridle to are solid.

im no expert but i tow a biscuit with my boat an thats a 12 foot clark tinny. i havent done any damage to it wotsoever

the only thing you need to worry about is if when cornering you lose slack on the tow rope, this will either cause massive whip lash to the person in the biscuit or in worst case scenario tip your boat as the biscuit digs into to the water

also make sure you always have a spotter to relay information between u and the person being towed (thats common sense but thought i might mention it anyway)

Have fun with it, i know i do in the summer

Jock