PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki 140 pricing

foggy
04-07-2008, 02:35 PM
Its time I started thinking about a new outboard.

Have decided on the 140 zuk and started to get a few prices.

Best price I found is Brisbane was $15,100 fitted ready to go.

Here is my dilema. I can get one landed in Brisbane from the US for $8258 AU, but I have been told the warranty would only be three years and any warranty work would have to be performed in the US.

I realise there will be some import duties to pay but at over $6500 grand saving, it is starting to look attractive.

What do u guys think

Foggy

FNQCairns
04-07-2008, 03:40 PM
Yeha just do it IMO, the only way you can loose is if the engine doesn't turn up. I am assuming you would also purchase all of the parts from O/S to satisfy a repair and that you know someone who has at least worked on 4st motor bikes or car engines in a tear down state at some time, + you save all of the labour costs of servicing over 5 years + you get to run an oil/filter that may be better than the manufacturers spec..not sure on this with the Suzuki but Yamaha can shove their 4st oil spec.

It's real hard to see the true benefit in not importing, even if they had a poor major warranty repair rate, something like 40 in every 100, urban legend has them at something like 0.05% for warranty claims!!, I don't believe it of coarse:-/.

cheers fnq

death_ship
04-07-2008, 05:28 PM
6500 is a lot of warranty work. you could buy 2 and sell one and the first becomes even cheaper

Hornet Rider
04-07-2008, 07:10 PM
[quote=foggy

I realise there will be some import duties to pay but at over $6500 grand saving, it is starting to look attractive.

Foggy, have you spoken to Customs or a bond agent to get an idea of just how much duty you'll be up for? That part of the equation needs to be transparent before you could make an informed decision. After that you'd have both sides of the Oz cost verses import costs then you could reasonably determine risk (ie possible cost of servicing/replacemnts) against not having warranty. Big call, but I like your thinking. Please don't take that as an endorsement though.

Luke G
04-07-2008, 07:58 PM
You won't be able to do it if your planing to buy one through a dealer, US dealers are not allowed to sell a motor without fitting it. I went through the same drama with my 150. I was going to buy it through Eds marine, after they said they would sell it to me. When I went to give them a payment and get it sent to the wharf they came back and told me they cannot complete the deal. I ended up spending a fortune on phone calls to the US to several dealers and was told the same thing. Ended up buying the 150 through a local dealer.

Cheers

-spiro-
04-07-2008, 11:48 PM
what a buggar this thread made my ears prick up....i'd like to get a 175hp suzzie myself

Hornet Rider
05-07-2008, 12:04 AM
You won't be able to do it if your planing to buy one through a dealer, US dealers are not allowed to sell a motor without fitting it. I went through the same drama with my 150. I was going to buy it through Eds marine, after they said they would sell it to me. When I went to give them a payment and get it sent to the wharf they came back and told me they cannot complete the deal. I ended up spending a fortune on phone calls to the US to several dealers and was told the same thing. Ended up buying the 150 through a local dealer.

Cheers

Luke, I'm not doubting your experience, or the obvious expense you had to outlay to get to the bottom of this, but I know a bloke who imported two Bombadier engines from the USA for an ultralight he build about three years ago, & they are the same mob who build Evinrude outboards. Also have a brother-in-law who has imported on three separate occasions high performance V8's from the USA for his speedway cars. When you say dealer, do you mean the engine manufacture or a US dealer who sells the engines?

Malcolm W
05-07-2008, 03:43 AM
Fellas,
For your info I made a couple of enquiries, just copied the email. He was not to specific with the info

Binnacle, Keyswitch, Harness - $600
Shift & Throttle Cables - $4/ft X 2
SS Prop - $300
Warning Gauge - $150

I would guess shipping would be about $1,000

Thanks,
Marc

Ed's Marine Superstore
12080 Washington Highway
Ashland, VA 23005

Toll-Free Sales Hotline - 866-550-3806

www.edsmarinesuperstore.com (http://www.edsmarinesuperstore.com/)

Sent: Monday, June 09, 2008 8:00 PM
To: Ed's Marine Superstore
Subject: Re: Importing outboards

Hi Marc,

Thanks for the reply. We pay a fortune over here for outboards, making it unviable to trade my 2003 115 yamie 2 stroke. The suzuki looks the goods. Can you give me a quote on the motor and basic controls for a 5.6 centre console and do you know roughly the shipping costs. I have read that suzukis dont have any extra duties coming into australia. Regards Malcolm.

----- Original Message -----

From: Ed's Marine Superstore (admin@edsmarinesuperstore.com)

To:

Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 4:41 AM

Subject: RE: Importing outboards

I have sent a few Suzukis with no problems.

Thanks,
Marc

Ed's Marine Superstore
12080 Washington Highway
Ashland, VA 23005

Toll-Free Sales Hotline - 866-550-3806

www.edsmarinesuperstore.com (http://www.edsmarinesuperstore.com/)

Sent: Sunday, June 08, 2008 3:28 AM
To: ADMIN@EDSMARINESUPERSTORE.COM (ADMIN@EDSMARINESUPERSTORE.COM)
Subject: Importing outboards

Hi,

I am interested in importing an outboard to Australia. Could you please advise me if you have done this and what the process is. Any information including problems would be appreciated. I am intersted in a 115 4 stroke and it would be going to Western Australia.

Thank you Malcolm.

stevea
05-07-2008, 09:02 AM
Fellas,

I would guess shipping would be about $1,000,
Thanks,
Marc

That shipping price sounds a bit too cheap. That may be just to FOB (Free on Board). You need to check all of the fees. All quotes I have got seem to be over $2000 with all the add on fees.

It sucks how their is only 1 importer allowed in this country. Sort of like a monopoly. So much for a global market.

pilchardjones
05-07-2008, 07:42 PM
Foggy,
This will be interesting reading for you:
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=128589&highlight=import

In summary the US outboard thing looks good at 1st, but I think there are a lot of hidden costs, the rigging and controls seem to be a big one.
steve

Luke G
05-07-2008, 08:29 PM
Luke, I'm not doubting your experience, or the obvious expense you had to outlay to get to the bottom of this, but I know a bloke who imported two Bombadier engines from the USA for an ultralight he build about three years ago, & they are the same mob who build Evinrude outboards. Also have a brother-in-law who has imported on three separate occasions high performance V8's from the USA for his speedway cars. When you say dealer, do you mean the engine manufacture or a US dealer who sells the engines?

Yeah I mean Suzuki america will not allow a motor to be sent out of U.S without it being on the back of a boat already set up by a U.S dealer.

I got simular emails from Marc from Eds marine, he said that he would sell it in the crate etc. When I went to give him the money to seal the deal he could not Complete the order.

I even got ahold of a fellow who imports stuff from the USA for a living involved and he could not get a motor from anyone either - and he has a brother in the USA that even called up to buy a motor from Eds marine and same again if they can't fit it they can't sell it.

Don't do what I did and sell your old motor thinking that its going to be cheap/easy to get a new one from the U.S only to find out it cannot happen.

Cheers

foggy
11-07-2008, 10:34 AM
Just a quick update.

All fees and charges listed below

Engine $7500

Freight $858

Controls,cables etc $1205

Total $9563

GST $956

Total $10,519

Customs clearance fee $48.50. (no duty on outboard engines from the US)

So basically it is a $5000 saving. Thats a lot of warranty work. (unless something major occurs)

Foggy

upstart
11-07-2008, 11:18 AM
A mate just had fitted a new yammie 115 4 stroke and it cost him $16000.
Bloody steep if you ask me. Geez, it'd be good if someone could get to the bottom of this importing engines business. I reckon it'd open a can of worms.

Az
11-07-2008, 12:20 PM
a mate of mine was able to import a verado from the US aswell - maybe its just suzuki that have a problem with doing it?

Foggy - How is there no duty on the outboard? Is there some sort of exemption?

foggy
11-07-2008, 01:48 PM
The Suzuki is no problem to import. The only sticking point is the warranty. Still nutting that out, but it looks like it is a back to US warranty deal.

As for the no import duty, we have a free trade aggreement with the US that covers about 90% of imports. I spoke to customs this morning and outboards from the US are exempt.

Foggy

skipalong
11-07-2008, 02:56 PM
yeah sounds great mate

RAGINGBULL
11-07-2008, 05:39 PM
Foggy i am interested in this site as i am looking too
Thanks mate i will keep watching this site.
Cheers Mark

Luke G
11-07-2008, 08:47 PM
Foggy what dealer are you going through ?

tin can marlin
11-07-2008, 10:42 PM
Ring graham jeffers he is the man he is the best value in qld for suzy products. I think he has a biger buying power because he does over 400 motors a year.

John Buoy
12-07-2008, 08:52 AM
Some of you might like this link.
Didn't see any warranty details but some good prices.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-2008-SUZUKI-175HP-4-STROKE-LOOK_W0QQitemZ280245224041QQihZ018QQcategoryZ11112 1QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Regards Frank

The coral trouts
07-09-2008, 08:30 PM
I have a new Suz 140 4st sitting on the back of my boat that I got from Ray Jr at the boat place in Naples. I read with myrth all the doomsayers who are thinking up all sorts of issues why not to do it. Hey I even insured the motor from Florida to my door in Townsville for A$190
Don't be afraid - no warranty and no fuss, I accept the risk and reap the $5500 :)
Fitted by mobile mechanic and myself in 2 hours, excellent work. saved another $700 there as well.
The trouts

Cheech
08-09-2008, 09:02 AM
If it did have to go back, that is 2K return, so you would still be 3k in front.

bigval73
27-12-2008, 11:09 AM
just wondering if anyone went ahead and imported one from the US?
at the moment ive got quotes for a 140 HP SUZI from $17200 to $18800 SEQ depending on which year 08/09.
from the US 10300 AUD plus shipping and taxes.
i think there would still be 5k difference .
just your thoughts or experiences if you went ahead /didnt.
regards Des

dodgyone
27-12-2008, 09:15 PM
The exchange rate has dramaically changed since these blokes went through this. Thats going to be the biggest factor.

Alchemy
27-12-2008, 09:27 PM
$10,300 USD = $15,375 AUD. Plus shipping and risk. Not worth it IMO with the current exchange rate.

scorpionNQ
28-12-2008, 09:50 AM
You might be right there Dave. However, I just got a quote from our local Suzy dealer for a baby 115hp and it was $18,500. They said it will be the last one at this price and the next shipment was dearer. A few Ausfishers in previous threads have purchased bigger engines cheaper than the price I was quoted for the 115. No wonder we look at other alternatives. Don't get me wrong though, as a local business owner myself I prefere and 95% of the time purchase goods from our local business community and have always felt it is important to support them. However I just cannot justify $18,500 for a small/medium size outboard.
The Coral Trouts has done the import, so I might have a chat with him.
Cheers
Lee

Brumby
28-12-2008, 10:04 AM
$10,300 USD = $15,375 AUD. Plus shipping and risk. Not worth it IMO with the current exchange rate.

I think you'll find the $10,300 is AUD - most people listing a 140 at around the $7K USD mark. I know that when the time comes to trade in the old 2 smoke, I'll be taking a good hard look at this option.

FNQCairns
28-12-2008, 10:21 AM
You might be right there Dave. However, I just got a quote from our local Suzy dealer for a baby 115hp and it was $18,500. They said it will be the last one at this price and the next shipment was dearer. A few Ausfishers in previous threads have purchased bigger engines cheaper than the price I was quoted for the 115. No wonder we look at other alternatives. Don't get me wrong though, as a local business owner myself I prefere and 95% of the time purchase goods from our local business community and have always felt it is important to support them. However I just cannot justify $18,500 for a small/medium size outboard.
The Coral Trouts has done the import, so I might have a chat with him.
Cheers
Lee

Just be a little careful these days, one of the big 2 floor plan finance company's has lately started to pull out of the US boat market...... quite a few company will deal with this OK right now but given a little time more will tumble that wouldn't have, be sure your money has not just hit their bank account at around this time.....If you can wait for the initial carnage to subside say 4 months or so...all IMO.

Escrow???

cheers fnq

bigval73
28-12-2008, 12:54 PM
I think you'll find the $10,300 is AUD - most people listing a 140 at around the $7K USD mark. I know that when the time comes to trade in the old 2 smoke, I'll be taking a good hard look at this option.

correct, 7000 USD = 10300 AUD .

Alchemy
28-12-2008, 04:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brumby http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?p=945881#post945881)

correct, 7000 USD = 10300 AUD .

Oh :o. Didn't realise that. That certainly makes it an entirely different equation then. Couldn't blame you for considering the import option given that price difference!

Almighty
13-01-2009, 06:05 PM
I got my 300 suzi from the States and it cost me all up landed to FNQ around 19k. I bought when the dollar was at 94 so I got a bargin. had some superficial damage scrathes and stuff but otherwise it runs like a charm and I'm close to 18k better off. I am not worries about the warranty really. If it blows up then I'll worry but I was told that I could frieght it back to the dealer I bought it from and get it fixed. Freight was around 1300 aud to Brisbane.
Have fun

scottishguy
14-01-2009, 03:22 PM
Almighty, can I ask where you got your motor?

Spartan
16-01-2009, 09:44 AM
The owner of a charter boat on Thursday Island imported a 300 Suzuki from USA. Saved around $13k including the extortion they call freight up this way. He's very happy and prepared to take the warranty risk. He's had it on for around 3 months without a problem.

Tassie JR
16-01-2009, 09:15 PM
Hey almighty i would also like 2 know where u got it from.

cheers mate
tassie JR