PDA

View Full Version : Evinrude trim gauge sender unit

stingau
03-07-2008, 11:30 PM
Gday does anyone know if the trim sender unit on a 89 90HP outboard is serviceable the lever is sticking so the when u raise the motor it still shows it as fully down. I have looked in Clymers but no detail provided. I have also searched on line but no success/the part doesn't exixst

Chimo
04-07-2008, 06:56 AM
Yes they are.

Sounds like yours may have missed out on its fresh water wash down after use?

Try and clean it up and lube it in situ otherwise you will have to recalibrate it if you take it off and then after use tilt the motor right up and give it a good fresh water hose off.

Cheers
Chimo

Spaniard_King
04-07-2008, 06:59 AM
Hit it with a fair bit of wd40 and use a hair dryer to warm it up.. then try and moove the arm of the sender a bit.. dont force it.. they normally come good :)

lethal098
04-07-2008, 07:12 AM
try using more of a penetrant, wd 40 tends to leave a residue, inox i found was the best way to fix that, a friend had a 150 johno with the smae problem, good spray and let it sit then work it up and down over and over and it will come good, good luck cheers lethal

stingau
04-07-2008, 08:35 AM
Chimo , Im not sure about the missed hosedown as I have just brought this motor, I can move it by hand easily enough but would assume that it should have some tension so possibly a broken spring if they have one?
But will try flooding it with wd40 in case it is a light spring tho I would have thought that the weight of the motor would have allowed for a fairly strong spring

lethal098
04-07-2008, 11:11 AM
stingau, if you tilt the motor up you should get a good view of the spring and see if it is broken, the spring usaully ahs about 1o wraps around, should be pretty easy to find one to replace if needed. cheers lethal