PDA

View Full Version : taking in water ?

muzzytt
03-07-2008, 09:15 PM
I have a whiteline boat 4.8 mtr glass

after a 6 hour session on the water when I take off the bung water flws out of it for about 1 minute.
there seems to be a fair bit of water in there.

I have looked under the boat and it seems very good bar the centre of the hull that would run over the trailer rollers where you can see the fiberglass but its still solid.

now I cant access the part of the boat were this water goes in as I wanted to put in a bilge pump.

any ideas if this is a majorish leakage problem and will this much water effect fuel usage

thanks

Muz

Almako
03-07-2008, 09:35 PM
maybe try to fill the boat with water whilst it's on the trailer to try and see where it leaks out off?

Leighton
03-07-2008, 09:38 PM
start simple, new bungs and dont over tighten them
Check the bungs are sealed

Roughasguts
03-07-2008, 10:15 PM
Yep start simple, Use plumbers thread tape for a start on the bungs, then it don't matter if the washer is stuffed.

If that don't work pull the bung housing out and re-seal, but still use thread tape.

If that still don't work, look for other screw holes tranducers, steps, burley buckets.

If still leaks, move the boat back a few inchess and check for cracks under the rollers.

Of course you can do all that in one go if you like, but then you will never know what was leaking.

Pridey
03-07-2008, 10:34 PM
4.8 metre boat.... are you out in much chop/spray? Pulling in pots of some sort... my little tinnie drains for a couple of minutes,

Blackened
04-07-2008, 06:33 AM
Yep start simple, Use plumbers thread tape for a start on the bungs, then it don't matter if the washer is stuffed.

G'day

Aaah RAG, full of good ideas. I'll be using this one next time out.

Dave

Donny Boy
04-07-2008, 12:07 PM
If you can, follow all of these tips, cause getting the thing X-rayed to find a crack in the hull will cost a bomb.

Roughasguts
04-07-2008, 02:41 PM
Thank's Dave, your welcome to any ideas I might have.
But you have given me another idea! think I'm going to be made reduntant soon, and be out of, and to be honest I kind'a hope so.

Anyway the wife want's to chase her dreams and career path (guess that's why she's going to UNI) so while looking after the 3 kids I might write the Roughasguts, 100 page picture book of great ideas. Then turn the book over and reveal the 99 pages of not so great ideas.

Man have I done some dumb things, might be worth a laugh one day, Cheers.

SgBFish
04-07-2008, 03:37 PM
maybe try to fill the boat with water whilst it's on the trailer to try and see where it leaks out off?

Would it be worthwile to throw some food colouring in the water so it would be easier to see where it leaks out?

Roughasguts
04-07-2008, 03:55 PM
Would it be worthwile to throw some food colouring in the water so it would be easier to see where it leaks out?

It would be worthwile if you can get it to leak, my bet is you couldn't get anywhere near enough water pressure to get it to leak.

After all I did try that and filled the bottom cavity on my tub let the boat sit over dry concrete, and not a drop. Stick it in the water and you get a few bucket fulls over 10 hours.

mlaagtho
04-07-2008, 04:22 PM
I had the same problem on my boat
check the bottom motor mounting bolts, to see if they are sealed . mine where leaking
squeezed in some silicon from the outside and no more leaks
Mike

trueblue
04-07-2008, 05:10 PM
as above... check the motor mounting bolts

johnny roger
04-07-2008, 11:02 PM
yeah all the replys are right. if there is no structural damage that you can see, than think about what you do on the water.
-hauling anchor rope displaces a lot of water.
-red claw pots bring on water.
-if you have been diving, swimming etc can bring on water.
-maybe if you have had your boat on the shore, and there was a ski boat or jet skier around, their wake can jump over the transom.

just to mention a few things...
John

muzzytt
05-07-2008, 09:12 AM
4.8 metre boat.... are you out in much chop/spray? Pulling in pots of some sort... my little tinnie drains for a couple of minutes,

generally in calm water I have mainly used boat in and around the spit bridge and roseville bridge. I did go a far as balmoral before i chickened out as I dont think my boats made for rolling seas.

thanks to all Ill try a few things this weekend and see if anything works.

Muz

muzzytt
05-07-2008, 09:16 AM
yeah all the replys are right. if there is no structural damage that you can see, than think about what you do on the water.
-hauling anchor rope displaces a lot of water.
-red claw pots bring on water.
-if you have been diving, swimming etc can bring on water.
-maybe if you have had your boat on the shore, and there was a ski boat or jet skier around, their wake can jump over the transom.

just to mention a few things...
John

I do none of that just calm fishing my bilge and deck have seprate bungs.
the motor mount bolts are on the deck part not bilge.

steveg1100
05-07-2008, 11:33 AM
Have you had any petrol leaks in the boat it happened to me and it eats the silicone that the bungs are sealed in with??

So as has been mentioned bungs first.

black runner
05-07-2008, 09:02 PM
Bottom motor bolts for me. One of mine was letting the water in through the bottom elongated mount hole. It wasn't sealed properly. Bashed a bit of Sikaflex in no more leak.

Cheers

tunaticer
05-07-2008, 09:32 PM
Could it be a seal between the gunnels and the lower hull?

A friends boat was forcing water and spray up under the bumper strip and through between the joint of top half to bottom half. It took ages to work out where it was coming from as it was dribbling down the inside edge of a support out of sight to nearly every angle.

Jack.