PDA

View Full Version : Given this criteria - what wold you get?

Crunchy
03-07-2008, 01:23 PM
I'm look'n for a boat! Given the criteria below, what would you more experienced guys rec.? (Have read a lot of posts, have an idea but looking for some further input, hate making wrong decisions:'( ).

Usage - Fishing 95%; Family day out on the river 5% (Kids too young, wife not too keen on boats ::) )

Where - Sunny Coast, inshore and offshore reefs 95%; rivers 5% (When it's too crappy outside but just have to dip a line for some P&Q)

What - Reef / bottom fishing 95%; trolling 5% (Probably on the way to a reef)

Who - Solo 30%; One, two or three mates 70%.

Budget - $30 - $40K (Second hand)

O/nighting out wide? - Nope

Bar crossing - yes

Max towing weight - 2.5MT

Important to me - safety & ride! (plenty of time spent banging around in a tinny, not going there again).

Preferred set up - I think C.C. would be the best option...

All opinions & comments greatfully received!

Cheers
Crunchy

banshee
03-07-2008, 02:34 PM
Center console's are a great fishing platform but they lose their appeal real quick on those chilly winter predawn starts that has the sea a bit lumpy (ironicaly these conditions also see the reefies fireing),my choice is a cuddy cab at around 5m in glass,but this may not suit one person handling depending your particular ramp and how particular you are when it comes bumps/scratches etc.If ride is parramount something like a Signature (Haines) would be hard to beat but they do tend to pitch about a bit to much at rest for my liking in 5-5.5m sizes,I'd be more inclined to trade a bit of ride for a bit more stability at rest and go for a Cruise Craft or a Seafarer.

honda900
03-07-2008, 02:54 PM
you will be looking for a glass boat to give you that softer ride offshore, however a big glass boat can be a handfull to get on and off the trailer by yourself, just consider that.

I have a Yalta 555 and find it a great offshore boat, the amount of fishing room in the back is great, more than what you get with some higher priced brands and the best part is you can get a brand new boat for your money.

Have a look at the link below, I am sure at the tinnie and tackle show they were around the 35k new mark which will give you some xtra dough to add some goodies.

http://www.marinetune.com/new-boats/new-boats_detail.asp?ID=199

Good luck with your choice.

Regards
Honda.

Noelm
03-07-2008, 02:54 PM
geees that sort of money and that criteria, the list is almost endless, maybe just do a little snooping about at a popular ramp and see what is about in everyday use, that will give you an idea of how easy certain Boats are to launch/retrieve, how many people were in it, what sort of power it has, all sorts of things can be learned at a ramp, even ask a few questions, most Boaties are friendly types and will tell you bits and pieces.

mik01
03-07-2008, 02:56 PM
kids and mrs won't appreciate a CC. they'll either burn, freeze or get wet (no protection). If you want something family friendly and fishing friendly then IMO you have to sacrifice - which means either cuddy or half cab (Banshee is on the money)
then again you may not be overly worried about whether the mrs comes along - i not then don't let us talk you out of a CC.

if your mrs isn't into boats and water sports, the getting wet part will definitely mean she will never go with you again.

thats if she doesn't burn or freeze of course....

thelump
03-07-2008, 03:12 PM
Yalta 555 brand new 35-36K. Cant go wrong. Should tick all your boxes. ;)

coucho
03-07-2008, 04:13 PM
I like the look of this rig even though I know you said no tinnies
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=130199

Angla
03-07-2008, 04:30 PM
Coucho, You could certainly fit plenty of mates on that comfortably. It would be more limiting on a cuddy or half cab.

You could look to that boat as a first boat with the thought of trading it in on the boat of your dreams when you have a better feel for what you want.

I started in a Coxcraft rumrunner 5.2m half cab with an old evinrude and then updated to a brand new Cruise Craft 575 Outsider Half cab, Walkaround with the 135 Optimax and a porcelain loo for the wife. It's great for overnight fishing and sleeping, down at Jumpinpin or out at The Banks. It fishes 2 comfortably and 3's a little crowded but workable. I also launch and retrieve Solo

For the $ you may look around for a Cruise Craft 575 Explorer around 2000 on

Chris

finding_time
03-07-2008, 04:32 PM
Bar crossing - yes, (Maroochy river - no worries)

Cheers
Crunchy

Hummmmmm .

I would be very careful on this bar if i were you! Have crossed it many many times and it bit me the @rse big time one day;) There is definately worries crossing the marochy bar and it has a lot to do with the coffee rock ledge on the break zone. Incomming tide is the tide to attack it but be very very wary of the ebb tide! A biggy or 3 will jump up and get ya one day and they stand up out of nowhere due to the sudden shallow water above the ledge!

Ian

bushbeachboy
03-07-2008, 05:40 PM
Have a look at the Polycraft 5.3 cuddy. Very good ride, very stable at rest, no corrosion. If you want a bit more info have a look at www.polyboatowners.com (http://www.polyboatowners.com)
Some of the members there are members here also, and it is a friendly forum.

tunaticer
03-07-2008, 05:56 PM
Go the polycraft as BBB suggests, Good decent boat without any of the problems that plague alloy and glass boats in years to come.

Jack.

Crunchy
04-07-2008, 09:48 AM
you will be looking for a glass boat to give you that softer ride offshore, however a big glass boat can be a handfull to get on and off the trailer by yourself, just consider that.

I have a Yalta 555 and find it a great offshore boat, the amount of fishing room in the back is great, more than what you get with some higher priced brands and the best part is you can get a brand new boat for your money.

Have a look at the link below, I am sure at the tinnie and tackle show they were around the 35k new mark which will give you some xtra dough to add some goodies.

http://www.marinetune.com/new-boats/new-boats_detail.asp?ID=199

Good luck with your choice.

Regards
Honda.

Thanks Honda, definately on my watch list. What about the bigger Odessa? Only just out of my budget range and the kids don't need Christmas presents every year do they. Is this a decent motor? "YAMAHA 130hp OIL INJECTED 2 STROKE" (Looks like an old model just by the styling???) - Yep realise this is not a 1 person rig which I need to consder for my mid-week expeditions...

Crunchy
04-07-2008, 09:56 AM
Hummmmmm .

I would be very careful on this bar if i were you! Have crossed it many many times and it bit me the @rse big time one day;) There is definately worries crossing the marochy bar and it has a lot to do with the coffee rock ledge on the break zone. Incomming tide is the tide to attack it but be very very wary of the ebb tide! A biggy or 3 will jump up and get ya one day and they stand up out of nowhere due to the sudden shallow water above the ledge!

Ian

Yep for sure you have to pick your day allright...been over it quite a lot (as a passanger), it has been pretty hairy on occaison, I would be a little more conservative and if looking dodgy drive the extra half hour to Mooloolaba.
Cheers
Crunchy

Crunchy
04-07-2008, 09:58 AM
Have a look at the Polycraft 5.3 cuddy. Very good ride, very stable at rest, no corrosion. If you want a bit more info have a look at www.polyboatowners.com (http://www.polyboatowners.com)
Some of the members there are members here also, and it is a friendly forum.

Thanks BBB, another that has been on my watch list but more interested in the 5.99. How do they go in a decent chop as far as ride goes? As good as a heavy F/glass boat..?

Thanks
Crunchy

Crunchy
04-07-2008, 10:03 AM
I like the look of this rig even though I know you said no tinnies
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=130199

Good looking rig, ..... is anyone in a Stabi-craft? Do they live up to thier hype as far as ride goes, despite being tin?

Thanks
Crunchy

JB
04-07-2008, 11:52 AM
http://www.seafarerboats.com/content.aspx?pageID=29&mainID=2&subID=38

Great compromise boat, still quite large but a good ramp and you should be able to handle it solo. Drive on trailer that auto clips .

Getout
04-07-2008, 11:59 AM
I'd suggest a centre cab tinny with plenty of power, if you can find one in the price range.
A deep V glass boat would be suicide on that bar.

thelump
04-07-2008, 12:00 PM
Thanks Honda, definately on my watch list. What about the bigger Odessa? Only just out of my budget range and the kids don't need Christmas presents every year do they. Is this a decent motor? "YAMAHA 130hp OIL INJECTED 2 STROKE" (Looks like an old model just by the styling???) - Yep realise this is not a 1 person rig which I need to consder for my mid-week expeditions...

Have a chat with MTX on this site he just bought the big Odessa. I have been in one and they are good although I think a 130 might be a bit under powered. More like a 175 or 200.

honda900
04-07-2008, 12:15 PM
Crunchy,

Dont think I have heard a bad word on the yam 130, they are a bit thirsty though you would expect to be getting around 1km per litre offshore. they are a carboretted V4 2-, but it certainly pushed the 555 around great, water ski, tow tubes etc the engine was never working hard.

I found with my kids once they got bored with fishing or getting towed, they are straight up into the cabin to have a sleep. The really nice thing about the boat is that the kids feel really safe, nice high sides and pretty stable.

I think they also offer the package with a 115 4- on it, SGBfish,Graham has one have a chat to him about it. I bought mine with a 130 on it and changed it over 12 months later as I found the fuel economy to limit my range as the boat only has a 150ltr tank.

Regards
Honda

Crunchy
04-07-2008, 03:14 PM
Getout

Yeh I agree, would be shame to smash up a brand new Yalta or something wouldn't it...

Crunchy
04-07-2008, 03:23 PM
BBB & Tunaticer

Just had a look at the P.B.O. forum, some interesting stuff. Seems like to get the best out of the poly's you need to do a few post purchase mods, e.g. add trimtabs or foil, add storage, even mod the hull to deflect a bit of the water coming in! Never been in one so if anybody got a 5.99...happy to pay for the gas;D

FNQCairns
04-07-2008, 04:09 PM
You asked about the stabis, compared to the Yalta and the seafarer mentioned they do not rate in ride but have other undeniable benefits.

With that much money to spend second hand choose a 4st.

cheers fnq

trueblue
04-07-2008, 05:14 PM
Good looking rig, ..... is anyone in a Stabi-craft? Do they live up to thier hype as far as ride goes, despite being tin?

Thanks
Crunchy

stabi's have a surprisingly comfortable ride for a tin boat

polky
06-07-2008, 01:38 PM
Had the same delima, went the signature 493f with a 70hp 4st. With colour plotter and sounder am/fm and vhf radio, set me back 37,000. I can handle boat on my own, fish 3 with ease, been 90ks of coast and home safe. IMO a good boat. Polky.

iricangi
06-07-2008, 01:54 PM
I'd have a look at a 2nd hand boat in the 5.5-6.8 metre range, alloy so you can handle it yourself, and spend the money you save on brand new 4st motor/s.

Ideally centre console is 1 of the best fishing boats you can get, (i own a 6.1 metre centre console) but when the swell gets big YOU GET VERY WET, i'd go for a cuddy cabin style with a soft/hardtop with stormcovers.

Goodluck on your choice, just make sure you don't get ripped off buying a new boat, and don't go a dirty 2 stroke :/

Dean1
06-07-2008, 02:22 PM
Id say definatly a half/cuddy cabin fibreglass minimum 5.5m with a four stroke. Id go for an older hull, late model four stroke motor instead of a newer hull but a not so good motor. Maybe a haines or the likes. I think the allisons are good value for money but ive never been in one. Deano.

death_ship
06-07-2008, 04:53 PM
i just bought a 2002 580 haines breeze with honda 130 four stroke with all the whistles and bells for that kind of money, you gotta be quick but. nothin like a tinny! dont go CC unless you like being cold and wet

BrettyJ
07-07-2008, 03:06 PM
There are some great value second hand boats out there. I got mine 12 months ago, I know it's not as big as you are looking for, but a great boat at what I think was a great price. It's a 2003 Mustang 1600 Tournament Cuddy with a 2003 Johnno 90 4st, the 90 is a bit slow out of the hole but once up on the plain it is very smooth and economical, I paid $24000 with sounder, electric winch, bunk in fill, bimni and clears.

Crunchy
09-07-2008, 02:17 PM
Thanks to all who replied....I'm on the right track with my thinking but I am now reconsidering not going for a C.C. Its only a few more years before the young fella might come fishing with dad and some sort of shelter and a place to nap would be a good idea in retospect.

Cheers
Crucnhy

stinky-stabi
24-07-2008, 11:46 AM

Thanks
Crunchy

the stabi craft is the go m8..... cant fault mine....
ask smithy what he thinks? he's got one to ;

over the last 12mnths i have gone from only seeing one to around the 8 stabi's on the coast and growing in numbers

stinky;D

Gagga08
24-07-2008, 01:03 PM
Forget the Missus and kids...your buying the boat to FISH from and everyone knows that Center Consoles are by far the better platform for fishing from. I personnal feel that cuddy cabins waste so much valuable space. When your forking out your hard earned on a boat you want to get as much for your money as possible. A Barcrusher WR 560 would be my choice...you should be able to get a second hand one well within your prise range. Check em out at http://www.barcrusher.com.au/models_560WR.html

simonpp82
24-07-2008, 04:24 PM
I'd have to agree with gagga on the CC.. I couldn't fish the way i want to fish without the cc configuration, it's so easy and hassle free without a cab up the front taking up all that space. It also means more floor space for people to spread/move around a bit when u get to the spot.. I've got a haines signature 542 CC, i think it'd be perfect for your needs.. Great ride, heaps of room and very functional fishing boat. I take it out solo all the time and its very easy to handle on your own as well. I picked up the second hand hull on trailer and packaged it with a new 115 etec for about 32g's. The biggest trouble would be trying to find one for sale. Hope this helps - simon.

Getout
24-07-2008, 05:39 PM
I think you should abandon the bar crossing concept and buy a boat that can run out of Mooloolaba.
A decent riding boat will probably draw too much water to be crossing the Maroochy Bar with confidence. I have been over it a few times. I cross the Noosa Bar in a bigger boat but the Noosa bar is tame compare to the more exposed Maroochy Bar.
I used to have a centre console and it was a terrific fishing boat, but crap for the family. A centre cabin or even half cab will be better for family outings and might even mean that you get to fish more often cause the kids can come and have a snooze when they get cranky.

Crunchy
25-07-2008, 12:26 PM
Bugger, ....:-/ ...too many options...

dogsbody
25-07-2008, 02:52 PM
Might as well throw another one at ya http://www.pursuitboats.com.au/html/550F%20specs.html

Dave.

Crunchy
15-06-2009, 06:17 PM
Well I can't beleive it was nearly a year ago that I started this thread looking for some help in deciding what boat to get, ...well happy to report the boat is now sitting in the driveway;D . I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped with opinions and info...cheers guys.

Dantren
15-06-2009, 06:50 PM
What did you end up buying mate?

Dan.

fez
15-06-2009, 09:07 PM
Hi Mate,

What did you end up with, whatever it is you did plenty of research. Still traveling with work?

fez.

bigjimg
15-06-2009, 10:04 PM
C'mon put up the evidence.I can feel your excitement from here.We are all waiting with anticipation.Jim

Angla
15-06-2009, 10:35 PM
Show us the new love of your life mate.

Cheers
Chris

death_ship
16-06-2009, 06:43 AM
well????????????? spill

Crunchy
16-06-2009, 09:49 AM
Sorry had to rush off....yep I'm pretty excited I have to admit...

Sooo after all the waitng I decided on and finally!! found a "Southern Star" 580UB Platinum, good ol' tough and reliable 2 stk carby 90 HP yammy (175hrs)....it's all in mint condition, one previous owner who did it all by the book and looked after it very well....must have been one of the last ones made I guess....Furuno 620 sounder, one damn massive live tank, twin bat's with VSR. Spent all weekend going over it, the only thing I found not working was the bulb in the anchor light was blown....$1.95 to fix that. The only thing I'm not overly happy about is the Navman GPS but that can go at some stage. Only taken her out once for a quick spin and although it wasn't exactly testing conditions she went real well...yep its all good;D ....now if I can just get through this busy period at work and bloody the decks!

Fez, gidday mate, off travelling for the next 10 days :-/ R U getting out plenty?

Cheers all
Crunchy

PS I would like to especially thank ScorpionNQ who made a post referring to the boat on boatpoint, to be honest I would have missed it as I was only ever searching for "Southwind" rather than "Southern Star". I can tell you that after looking out for these for so long they turn over real fast...had to jump quickly!

finding_time
16-06-2009, 10:49 AM
Mate that's a great choice! And you'll be very happy. I had a ub520 before the cat and it was a very solid sea boat , you will need some good wet weather gear and the sail type gum boots are the go aswell for those not so great days that you will tend to fish now because the ub 580 is well and truely up to the task!

ian

business class
16-06-2009, 11:27 AM
HYdrofield Jaguar 5.6 with a 150 on her and will pick her up for around the money you are looking for. Awesome on bar crossings fishes 3 no drama at all, drive on drive off trailer if your on your own, One of the most stable rides out there if not the most stable, great ride in all conditions fishable and will keep up with any other boat in same length, great fishing platform and safe as. Theres my 2 cents worth but its a quality 2 cents;) ;D .

Cheers
Matty

business class
16-06-2009, 11:30 AM
just finished reading your last post so ignore my previous post;D . Good choice i think and i hope she is all you hoped for. Next time i should finish reading, before posting;) .

Crunchy
16-06-2009, 12:20 PM
Mate that's a great choice! And you'll be very happy. I had a ub520 before the cat and it was a very solid sea boat , you will need some good wet weather gear and the sail type gum boots are the go aswell for those not so great days that you will tend to fish now because the ub 580 is well and truely up to the task!

ian

Yep F_T, I only just popped into Whittworths yesterday and purchased a 3/4 Burke jacket they got on special ATM....I know there are always compromises! Hey F_T, I have been carefully reading all your past posts, along with others (From memeory) like Uripper, Daleprice, Barup, Mindi .. and others about these boats so thanks to you guys too. I will be in touch someday to ask about your tank upgrade if you don't mind...

Crunchy
16-06-2009, 12:21 PM
just finished reading your last post so ignore my previous post;D . Good choice i think and i hope she is all you hoped for. Next time i should finish reading, before posting;) .

No worries, and I agree with you about the Hydrofield...!

death_ship
16-06-2009, 08:20 PM
if you put a T top on you can run fold out hinged clears down it to cut down the spray, get used to wet feet

fez
16-06-2009, 08:46 PM
Crunchy,

Looks good mate, what model of Navman GPS do you have?

When is the maiden voyage over the bar?

Next time I am up your way I wouldn't mind calling in to catch up and have a look over her.
Know what you mean about travelling, had a promotion and have struggled to get out much. I am only home for two of the next 25 nights, but am going to Townsville for the majority of them so will try to get out up there.

Cheers,
fez

Crunchy
16-06-2009, 10:00 PM
Crunchy,

Looks good mate, what model of Navman GPS do you have?

When is the maiden voyage over the bar?

Next time I am up your way I wouldn't mind calling in to catch up and have a look over her.
Know what you mean about travelling, had a promotion and have struggled to get out much. I am only home for two of the next 25 nights, but am going to Townsville for the majority of them so will try to get out up there.

Cheers,
fez
PM me... definately touch base...
5430i, works, but bit hard to use....perhaps a C-map would improove the experience? Anyone advise?
Done that, fairly tame on the day...easy does it I guess
Grangrat's!...travel does suck though, but on the positive side you might get to fish some new place? I'm off to NZ office, sometimes get out and catch a snapper or two when over there.