PDA

View Full Version : The ultimate braid..

spears
02-07-2008, 07:27 PM
I have only tried a hand full of different braids and found the suffix Y6 to date having a good ratio in the pounds to diameter to breaking strain and to being user friendly
Reports showing that the majority of braids out there break way above the advertised poundage stated on the packets.

But if one was looking for the ultimate braid….which brand or brands would that be.No matter what the cost is for a spool.

dodgyone
02-07-2008, 08:20 PM
Best I have ever used was everything by Varivas. Been using the Jigman, Jigman Ultra and Big One and they have all been awesome. Got a few other blokes using it after playing with my gear too.

tailorboi99
02-07-2008, 08:23 PM
I like Fins mate. Awesome stuff!

Cheers Tom

abbot_86
02-07-2008, 09:07 PM
in the heavy stuff nitlon is my choice mate.

Danpachi2
02-07-2008, 10:25 PM
Varivas sea bass max power...
What are you going to use the braid on. It kind of depends, cause some braids work better on baitcasters and spin, and heavy/light tackle as well.

Cobia Kid
03-07-2008, 10:27 AM
i would have to say dyneema tounamant braid,the colour meter stuff.
trust me, it dominates!!
much like queensland
GO THE MAROONS!!!
cheers

black_sheep
03-07-2008, 12:47 PM
I'm with Dodgyone,

The YGK Jigman, Jigman Ultra and Castman are awesome.

Does depend on use and diameter.

lampuki
03-07-2008, 06:14 PM
I havent tried the boat braid , but the daiwa sur braid is ridiculuos....

spears
03-07-2008, 06:40 PM
With some unusual named braids that iv’e never heard of before were these bought in from overseas by you or are these an on the shelf item
Some ideas on length purchased and costs would be handy.
Has any one ever made an all rounder braid.?? Where you only need to buy breaking strain to suite the targeted fish.
As some have mentioned ..depends on thickness

dodgyone
03-07-2008, 08:19 PM
Jigman is available in Australia at the bigger tackle shops.
I got some through Bluewater Tackle in Perth but most off US ebay. Around $90 for 300m of 80lb. Pricey but worth every cent. Lovely and soft, good knot strength and coloured every 10m.

flybloke
03-07-2008, 11:40 PM
With some unusual named braids that iv’e never heard of before were these bought in from overseas by you or are these an on the shelf item
Some ideas on length purchased and costs would be handy.
Has any one ever made an all rounder braid.?? Where you only need to buy breaking strain to suite the targeted fish.
As some have mentioned ..depends on thickness

Don't get sucked into buying The top line brands, There not for you if your asking this question in the first place. The difference between the jap brands and brands like Fins and Bionic Braid is NADA:o
I would Direct you to inspect the braids in your local shop and look for a "round " weave and not one that pulls up flat ( Hint, The ones mentioned above pull up "Round")

the gecko
04-07-2008, 09:28 AM
Suffix Performance braid is my choice in the light to medium range. Awesome strength to diameter ratio. And its round, not flat like Fireline.

spears
04-07-2008, 12:19 PM
Suffix Performance braid is my choice in the light to medium range. Awesome strength to diameter ratio. And its round, not flat like Fireline.
I got the 20 pound suffix spooled up on one reel and so far have been impressed with it.
It will be interesting to see if one particular brand name keeps coming up more than others as there is just so many out there now.
Fins is mentioned on a lot of forums but was just curious if there was something out there just so good that maybe the price of the stuff may put people off buying it.But then we may have reached a limit in manufacturing technology

Tim_N
04-07-2008, 02:47 PM
If money were no object, I would spool everything with Castaway PE.
Tim

PlasticFantastic
04-07-2008, 05:13 PM
My money is on the Daiwa Saltiga Sensor braid a 300ml spool of 35lb costs about $220 but it fits perfectly on a 3500 HD Certate.

PlasticFantastic

WyldFisher
04-07-2008, 05:34 PM
I like using Platypus Super-Braid. Haven't tryed many brands etc.

Tetsuo
04-07-2008, 10:13 PM
Ditto Plastic Fantastic, I have Saltiga 35lb on a 3000 hyper. Only 250m fit unfortunately but the stuff is unreal. I have straightened 7/0 hooks with it. I did get the line cheap though and I'm pretty sure other lines would come close for a lot cheaper. I have castaway on a few of my other reels and it has been great.

For light tackle I have found the 2lb crystal to be the least problematic. If anyone has a better suggestion for bream, let me know?

levinge
05-07-2008, 08:54 AM
I use Berkley Gorilla Braid on most of my reels and to date I haven't have a problem, good product and got my young fella his first Barra 35lb Braid
116cm Barra 22.5kg Peter Faust Dam.

BLOOEY
05-07-2008, 10:12 AM
I've found nitlon and bionic the best for casting lures. All others i have tried seem to be a lot more prone to knotting on the cast (very frustrating). Ben

Spot82
05-07-2008, 11:51 AM
I have always used Fins, and have found it excellent, never had any issues with it breaking, will break a leader twice the breaking strain before it breaks. At about 50$ a 300m spool i find it to be a great product at a resonable price.

wayneoro
05-07-2008, 12:20 PM
MADE IN JAPAN COLOUR CODED nothing gets near that

Dezzer
05-07-2008, 07:52 PM
My money is on the Daiwa Saltiga Sensor braid a 300ml spool of 35lb costs about $220 but it fits perfectly on a 3500 HD Certate.

Man!!
Thats a lot of bucks. For the most part I honestly can't tell much difference between the 3 or 4 brands I have on reels at the moment. This includes fireline vs "true" braids. Feels and acts pretty much the same to me. At not much less than a buck a metre the Daiwa Saltiga Sensor must be good shite. But is it, or the other expensive brands, at such a level above the others that it warrants that much extra expense?