PDA

View Full Version : Price vary with useability?

IRMC000
02-07-2008, 06:26 PM
Why doesn't the price of things like flares vary with age?
Eg. If they cost $60 and last for 3 years why shouldn't they only be $40 if they only have 2 years left or $20 if they only have 1 year left on the expiry date?
We all know the answer but why should we pay full price for something that only has half the utility or the use for us?
Any thoughts?
R

tailorboi99
02-07-2008, 08:58 PM
I don't know the answer to that question mate. Maybe because they can't be stuffed looking at the expiry dates on tackle and things =-/ other than that nothing sorry. Good question though.

Cheers Tom

BARRAkid
02-07-2008, 09:12 PM
Mostly because they don't think about the flares and the dates :-/
Places like BcF are just computer run they order a number of flares and they just sit there till they are sold and when they get down to a certain number of flares a new lot is computer orded so you just have to be lucky or go else where that has new ones.
I have never seen flares priced down because of date, it shows how much they care about there customers its either pay the price of pay the fine :-/
Tackleworld is normally quite good tho (well they are in Hervey Bay)

cheers BK ;)

tailorboi99
02-07-2008, 09:17 PM
Yeah it does show how much they care about their customers.

Cheers Tom

Blackened
03-07-2008, 06:15 AM
G'day

I suppose you want it a bit like food eh?? Fire sale on some packaged meat with every day closer to use by the price drops that little bit more.

I don't know about you guys but the standard flares, 2x orange smoke and 2x orange flare are completely different from brand to brand with regards to visibility.

Pains Wessex are the better ones, and where I buy my sets are at my chosen local, Wellington Point Marine and Graheme up there will only keep flares that have the full 3 years on them. Not even 2 yrs 11 mths, but the full 3.

Thats fair

Dave

Outsider1
03-07-2008, 10:51 AM
G'day

I suppose you want it a bit like food eh?? Fire sale on some packaged meat with every day closer to use by the price drops that little bit more.

I don't know about you guys but the standard flares, 2x orange smoke and 2x orange flare are completely different from brand to brand with regards to visibility.

Pains Wessex are the better ones, and where I buy my sets are at my chosen local, Wellington Point Marine and Graheme up there will only keep flares that have the full 3 years on them. Not even 2 yrs 11 mths, but the full 3.

Thats fair

Dave

Thanks for that info Dave,

I will have to check Wellington Point Marine out. I buy the Pain Wessex flares too, but they always seem to have at least 4 to 6 months shelf time on them at other Chandlers, which is annoying.

Did not know there was a variance between brands, but does not surprise me. Again the reason why I buy PW, a known quantity.

Cheers

Dave

IRMC000
03-07-2008, 03:09 PM
Dave Thanks
You certainly give Wellington Point Marine a good rap.
I will have to check them out as well.
Thanks
Robert

G'day

Thats fair

Dave

Blackened
03-07-2008, 03:40 PM
G'day

Robert and Dave, This place deserves a good wrap, partly because i've known Graheme for around 10 years and also because he's well respected, incredible on price with old fashioned service.

Ask him for the visual comparison he has there of the flare brands. Really opens your mind.

Just let him know I sent you and you will be given special treatment :p

ps. He's on the main drag on the left heading towards the point, between Tanja's coffee shop and the newsagency

Dave

shane steer
03-07-2008, 11:48 PM
I;ve Only Just Joined This Site And After 9 Years Of Skippering Charter Boats You Pair Would Have To Be The Biggest XXXXX I;ve Ever Seen On Any Fishing Forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No Matter Where You Go If Your Stupid Enough To Not Look At Expiry Dates Weather It;s To With Boating Or Buying Meat At A Grocery Store You Deserve Every Thing You Get

Fitzy
16-07-2008, 12:31 PM
I;ve Only Just Joined This Site And After 9 Years Of Skippering Charter Boats You Pair Would Have To Be The Biggest XXXXX I;ve Ever Seen On Any Fishing Forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No Matter Where You Go If Your Stupid Enough To Not Look At Expiry Dates Weather It;s To With Boating Or Buying Meat At A Grocery Store You Deserve Every Thing You Get

Shane,

2 posts by you so far, this one was a warning for abusing other members & the other one you were spamming your own business. READ THE RULES you agreed to when joining.

You 've been warned, one more & you're out.

fitzy..