PDA

View Full Version : Crimping wire traces

b j p
02-07-2008, 02:17 PM
My partner is doing some research work at the moment which requires the use of wire traces. The ones she was supplied with use the heat lock wire, where you twist and melt together. Unfortunately, these have a very high failure for her because they are used in very hot conditions.

I have suggested crimping using a nickel compound multistrand wire, however she has said those have been failing as well. She is using brand name wire and crimps and a set of sure catch crimping pliers.

The thickness of the wire has to be under .028 in the application and it needs to be flexible. (limits to around 45lb)

Is there any tricks to crimping wire and not weakening the wire at the crimp?

I have no experience with wire so would appreciate any comments as the failure of the wire is costly to the unit.

killitfillit
05-07-2008, 06:21 PM
there are knottable wire leaders out now that make a neat joint.

tunaticer
05-07-2008, 08:26 PM
Is she using single strand or multistrand wire?

Single strand can be damaged easily with crimping.

Multistrand cables are still quite thin for the lighter weights and will crimp with less failures.

Single strand wires will be best tied using a haywire and barrel twist combination with very minimal loss of tensile strength.

Jack.

oldboot
05-07-2008, 11:11 PM
I was looking for some pliers for crimping traces & I wasn't keen on a lot of them for a variety of reasons.....mostly to do with the accuracy of the crimping groves......like the 'U' wasnt concentric with the projection"

I selected one of the shimano pliers & they seem to be ok.

the other thing was that many of the pliers didn't seem to have enough leverage to crimp effectivly......I an reasonably strong in the hands......the average lady certainly will need plenty of leverage to get an effective crimp.

selecting the correct size grove to crimp in is important

dressing the wire in the tube before crimping is important or you will get failures.

the wires must sit paralel in the tube and not cross.

I have done a number of crimps and tested them to distruction with a scale and you definitely have to get your method right to get consistency.

prior I had used some inferiour pliers and some inferiou method and the results can be very poor.

cheers

b j p
09-07-2008, 05:18 PM
Thanks to all who have replied. I will pass on this experience to her this Friday and see if I can improve her crimping methods with what i've learnt here.