PDA

View Full Version : Snapper vs Sharks on Alexander

dayoo
01-07-2008, 04:08 PM
Headed out from Mooloolaba yesterday morning with crew of five on board (Pepi the skipper, Sasho, there father Rob, Frank and me).
Checked out a lot of marks given to Pepi by a good friend Shane the skipper of Shakara as he is the man for locating good fish. Spent all morning exploring a few of these marks which all had good shows and were packed with yakkas and slimies. Pulled a few good pearlies, parrot and a cobia from these marks as well as being busted off a number of times by sharks. It was hard to keep the bait on the hooks as the slimies and yakkas picked the hooks clean before reaching the bottom. Got out the bait jigs and loaded up with livies until we lost both jigs to larger fish.

Moved out wide about lunch time to our usual marks. Fishing was slow until about 4pm when the snapper and sharks came on the bite. Boated about a dozen small snapper with about the same number of larger snapper lost to sharks.
We managed to get two of the snapper that were attacked by smaller sharks to the boat one without a tail and the other a mangled tail.

These two snapper were cranked up using a Torsa Reel which has a faster retrieval rate than the TLD's but it was also not quick enough when hooked to a large snapper.

We tried over 20 marks to get away from the sharks but they were everywhere.
Frank (the fishing machine) was handed the rods each time a large shark was hooked as he enjoys the challenge. He managed to get two to the surface and the rest just busted the line.

We managed to boat 37 fish but the sharks got there fare share of the larger snapper.

Cheers
Barry

MEGA'bite
01-07-2008, 06:03 PM
well done good to see the sharks are healthy not !!!!

wags on the water
01-07-2008, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the report Barry. Nice feed of tuskies. I'm interested on what bait/plastic the cobe was caught on. I'd like to catch one of these buggers this year, but time's running out for me.

Cheers,

Wags

dayoo
01-07-2008, 06:31 PM
Wags
The cobe was caught by the fishing machine using a butterflied yakka.
There have been plenty about. We don't target them but catch them while bottom bashing. There are a few spots off the northern part of Moreton Island where they have been in large numbers.

Cheers
Barry

jtpython
01-07-2008, 07:23 PM
Nice report Barry
Least you got some nice fish to the boat
Know what it's like to lose alot to the sharks gets dishearting at times
JT

indy
01-07-2008, 08:37 PM
Good feed there barry pity about the sharks

cheers pete...

wadeo
01-07-2008, 09:50 PM
great catch boys well done.
regards wadeo

-spiro-
02-07-2008, 12:00 AM
Bloody sharks in plague proportions at the moment. Well done on what use acturely got to boat

outsiderskip
02-07-2008, 06:52 AM
hi barry
u got a good feed
so did the sharks

pete

dayoo
02-07-2008, 07:07 AM
Pete and Spiro,

Would have nice if the sharks left us just a couple of decent sized snapps.
One shark even took a good Moari cod on the surface just seconds before it was in position to lift onboard.

Never seen them in such numbers. Hope they p**s off before next trip.

Cheers
Barry

revs57
02-07-2008, 07:10 AM
Well Barry, you know the tax man aways has to be paid!!!! Good to see you and the fellas get out again.Some very nice tuskies in amongst that lot...

cheers

rhys

seapup
02-07-2008, 07:19 AM
The Sharks must be hungry at the moment ah Baz!
Well done!
Benny.

lethal098
02-07-2008, 08:33 AM
wel done guys pity about the grey suits at least you got a feed, chhers lethal

tailorboi99
02-07-2008, 09:18 AM
Nice outboards. Also a nice catch to eat too. Enjoy all the fish for dinner aye?:D

Cheers Tom

Az
02-07-2008, 12:24 PM
nice feed!!! is that a lost flathead I see in the catch

dayoo
02-07-2008, 01:19 PM
Az

Yes mate a 60cm marbled flathead caught in 70 metres. We pick up a few of them but usually in summer.

Cheers
Barry

skipalong
02-07-2008, 01:39 PM
awesome bag of fish guys

Outsider1
02-07-2008, 05:59 PM
Az

Yes mate a 60cm marbled flathead caught in 70 metres. We pick up a few of them but usually in summer.

Cheers
Barry

We used to get them this time of year off Newcastle on what is called the Gravel patch in about 40 metres. Beautiful eating.

Cheers

Dave

Fishing_Freddy
03-07-2008, 06:20 AM
Good looking feed there, well done hoping the weather holds off for the weekend so I can get out and hopefully catch a feed.
Ken :beer:

Keechie
12-07-2008, 08:34 PM
bigg scchhhnapper out loud;)

regards,
keechie