PDA

View Full Version : A day for Learning!

TimiBoy
01-07-2008, 03:52 PM
Wags and Pete (I forget his Ausfish name - Pete???) showed bang on time, 7:10 am at the Ranch. I was finishing up a bit of work in the office, when I came out, Wags sent me back in. He now thinks he owns the boat, and sets it up just the way he wants...

On the way to the ramp, we had a bit of a chat about the plan for the day. A ton of bait, full of fuel, the world was our oyster. Start on the 29's bag out, come home. Looked good in theory!

The water was like glass again, being able to fish during the week really does let us pick our days (sorry!!!) Bar crossing was a non event, and we shot straight out to our first mark, without bothering about livies. After a couple of quick drifts, Wags had already managed to tangle us all with that bloody S10 of his. We had a few hits, but nothing of consequence, except a nice little Tuskie in the box, landed by Pete. So much for the plan...

A quick discussion, and a spot further North around the Coffee Rock was decided upon, bunged into the Navnet, and off we go. We tried 3 spots around there, some really good shows, and a couple of nice snaps around 2 kg landed by Wags on plastics, along with plenty of tiny squire and redthroats. Damn Boys, gotta go deeper!

So, out to the 37's. There are some nice pinnacles there, and some good shows, without looking great. I was a bit iffy on the idea, but we stopped. Pete dragged up another Tuskie (maybe 2 kg) but not much else happening, and after 3 drifts, the Skipper prevailed and we headed off to Square Patch, at about 1:30 pm, hoping for something better.

Drove over a couple of points at Square Patch, and some good shows. We set up a drift, and dropped our baits, but nothing doing, they didn't want to play. Squid, pillies, mullet; nothing doing. Another drift, slightly different, East of the first, quiet again, but good shows. One more try, between the first two, and some good shows, with Wags pulling a snap on an SP. We let the drift continue, and saw some great bait ball, which had Wags jigging madly with a knife on his jigging rig. He's belting away, and at my right elbow his S10 (I'd been feeding a bit of line for Wags, went ballistic at my elbow!

I picked it up, and started the fight. By the time Wags came to take over I said "No way!" I'd fought him off the bottom and he was on his way up. I'd done the hard part, this was my fish! This fella fought all the way up, with some good runs, Wags had him picked for a Kingie, had me excited, I've never landed one before! When I finally dragged the fish up, there he was - A SNAPPER! None of that squirey crap, 85cm, a shade over 6 Kg. That's my fish, man, BIG PB!!!

I swapped over to plastic as well (first time I've ever done that) and a couple more Snaps and 3 or 4 Mack Tuna came in. Wags chopped up one of the Tuna, and Pete rigged up with it. I've gotta hand it to Pete, he stuck to that bottom rig like poo on a blanket - and what d'you know? Up comes a good snapper! Well, most of one. It would've been poor old Pete's pb if he hadn't left the back half in a shark. Poor bastard was nearly crying:'(:'(. Down he went again, and was soon on again. He pulled a couple more, one of which went 65cm, his pb. Wags hasn't sent me a photo of Pete with his fish, can you post it please Wags?

So, by covering some miles, and trying different tactics, we came home with a really good take. A late return again, running the gauntlet of twits without lights (can't wait for the radar), off the water at 6:30, and back home to clean up and process the fish.

Snapper caught on the S10 using plastics in 80m. 1/2oz 3/0 with 7" jerk shads. Blue pepper/neon (or something like that) and 7" sardine. Wags'll be talking to the reel guy today or tomorrow as the drag on the new diawa sol 4000 needs lookin' at in his opinion, but I found it a really nice little combination, certainly different from the heavier gear I'm used to. My light Wilson 7 footer and Baitrunner 6500 will do me for plastics for a while, and I will be buying some more plastics. Food for thought...

Cheers,

Tim

revs57
01-07-2008, 03:59 PM
Nice Tim, see you still had to go down the blunt end and show 'em how to do it - you really do need a new crew mate!

Nice bag

Cheers

rhys

wags on the water
01-07-2008, 04:54 PM
I think I had better do the next report. Yours sounds fishy to me Timiboy!!

We (I) picked up a kingy on the knife jig (300g lumo), hooked up on another then in the wink of an eye dropped it, dropped the jig to the bottom then on again and saw a sambo hit the deck.
The mack tuna were picked up on the 7" jerkshads retrieve quickly through the water. The SP's were thrown up current then left to do there own thing to the bottom as extra line was fed out. Later in the afternoon, the jigheads were changed to 3/4oz 4/0's. It's an awesome sound hearing the drag screaming. The S10 is coupled with a Diawa Sol 4000 spooled with 30lb Suffix braid. It is very nice to use.

Tim will be filletting his own fish next time as I won't be there to do it anymore. I have to go back to work. It's been fun Tim, well more fun for me as I'm still the sledging king.;D ;D ;D
Tim needs a new deckie.....You MUST be able to fillet fish, skinning ability not necessary as Tim is getting better.

On the way up to the coffee rock, we were an audience for a few breaching whales. What a sight.

The pic is of Peter's PB.

Cheers,

Wags

bluefin59
01-07-2008, 04:59 PM
Great effort boys ,looks like another moving over to the darkside you just gotta love the placcies . Great looking day it is a pleasure to fish midweek i am sooooooo jealous .....matt

wags on the water
01-07-2008, 05:08 PM
The SP's were in the boat, and I decided I needed to find out if the homemade jigheads were worth their weight in gold.

Finga - they work well, even the 2oz 7/0's used last week on pearlies and squire.

Tim didn't think throwing another line over the side would be a good idea, but he soon re-rigged once the 6 kilo model came on board. I don't think I'll ever only fish with the plastics. It was just that the fish weren't interested in the smelly stuff.

Cheers,
Wags

wags on the water
01-07-2008, 05:14 PM
Nice Tim, see you still had to go down the blunt end and show 'em how to do it - you really do need a new crew mate!

Nice bag

Cheers

rhys

I don't think I'm liking your attitude Rhys......>:( :P I know when I'm not wanted anymore. It was like this..."Hi wags, great to have you aboard..." Now it's ..."thanks for the marks and showing me how to catch and fillet fish....SEE-YA";) :P
My fishing rod Tim -->MY FISH Tim!

tenzing
01-07-2008, 05:26 PM
Tim I love that pinkie. I'm with you ; the guy holding the rod does all the work-your fish!

MEGA'bite
01-07-2008, 05:58 PM
yes i also agree you pull it up you keep it

SummerTrance
01-07-2008, 06:22 PM
Bloody nice snap there mate, well done. If your ever short of a midweek deckie send me a PM. Theres a good chance ill be free.

wags on the water
01-07-2008, 06:24 PM
For those not in the know, I've stated before (and many times to Tim), sledging is a part of any game, therefore Tim did boat his PB snapper yesterday....
Tim - there was plenty of line on the reel. I did have time to grab the rod, but you were just too bl**dy quick. ;D ;D

If any of you get the chance (and now you just might), a lot of fun is had onboard with Tim.

Thanks Tim,

Wags

Outsider1
01-07-2008, 06:53 PM
A great report as usual guys!. Nice pb Tim, something to really aim for now to beat it.

Thanks and cheers

Dave

mowerman
01-07-2008, 08:20 PM
Good session fellas

Tim.
Maybe you should video the report and stick it in the top corner of the screen.

You tell it better than you type it.

Probably like me. the brains going a mile a minute but the 2 finger typing cant keep up.

Rod.

litenup
01-07-2008, 08:30 PM
Tim, be careful. Letting these characters worm their way into the team, they are only thinking of themselves. And you think I'm not looking after No1?
Had a great day!! Cheers Pete

TimiBoy
01-07-2008, 08:47 PM
Good session fellas

Tim.
Maybe you should video the report and stick it in the top corner of the screen.

You tell it better than you type it.

Probably like me. the brains going a mile a minute but the 2 finger typing cant keep up.

Rod.

No way Rod! I have a great face for radio!

Cheers,

Tim

wags on the water
01-07-2008, 09:09 PM
No way Rod! I have a great face for radio!

Cheers,

Tim

Yep FACE FOR RADIO !!

DEANO68
02-07-2008, 07:27 AM
sounds like a good fun day on the water you lot, and yes sledging is all part of the game.good report timi,,and congrats on the PB....cheers deano.

Cheech
02-07-2008, 09:25 AM
Terrific fish Tim. That is smashing your PB.

TimiBoy
02-07-2008, 09:28 AM
Yes MAte, from 60 to 85 in one fell swoop!!!!

Cheering still!!!

Tim

wags on the water
02-07-2008, 10:30 AM
Yes MAte, from 60 to 85 in one fell swoop!!!!

Cheering still!!!

Tim

What.....no thanks me???::) ::) ::) If it wasn't for me Timiboy, you'd still be at 60.

Sharkie
02-07-2008, 10:31 AM
Tim,

My mate Ash (Outsider685) has a 685 Outsider also and he has Radar fitted (I think most of his gear is Raymarine or something). I know its come in bloody handy for him. He was telling me he was caught in a really heavy down pour one day where he couldn't see the front of his boat, so he flicked the radar on. Noticed something showing up so slowed right down and crept up to it, and what do you know.....a bloody big charter boat ;D . Made me think of that ad on telly, "charter boat? What charter boat" haha. But it proves itself VERY useful as he avoided an almost certain collision and I don't think he regrets having it at all.

Just food for thought mate :D

Cheers

Paul

TimiBoy
02-07-2008, 11:30 AM
Oh, OK then. Let's all cheer Wags for his generosity, and his fishing skill. If it was not for Wags I would never catch a fish - no wait, I would never even get on the water, as I'm obviously too damn stupid to figure any of this stuff out for myself;D;D;D.

Maybe I would have trouble walking and breathing at the same time if it were not for all of the Sage advice I have received from the Mighty Wags, Wisest of the Wise, Fountain of all Knowledge that is Wholesome and Good?:-X:-X:-X

Fountain of something, anyway :P:P:P

Actually, the Guy's been a lot of fun to have along, and he has taught me heaps. I'm very grateful.

BUT IT IS MY FISH!!!!

skipalong
02-07-2008, 01:35 PM
nice bag mate

slyman
02-07-2008, 04:05 PM
Nice fish mate! great read too! sounds like you blokes have a good laugh out there.

rubba
02-07-2008, 04:48 PM
does wags have shares in this boat tim good on you top fish mate

wags on the water
02-07-2008, 05:41 PM
does wags have shares in this boat tim good on you top fish mate

I bet you it'll be in my shed by xmas Rubba.;)

wags on the water
02-07-2008, 05:44 PM
Nice fish mate! great read too! sounds like you blokes have a good laugh out there.

Simon, it's always good to laugh at...errr with Tim....;D ;D ;D