PDA

View Full Version : Offshore fly bridge boat help!

kingfish101
30-06-2008, 10:41 PM
Hey everyone!
We finally! after two years of saving I've racked up close to 300,000.. costed me an arm and a leg but I've done it. I don't consider myself a serious angler but I do go out every weekend and most after noon and only on the odd weekend and holidays do I go on a charter boat. Now here comes the tricky part. I want to buy an offshore fly bridge boat, either second hand or new, just for fishing but I won't mind a nice cabin. Looking around 8-10 meters. Anyway guys, any tips, suggestions on what type of boat, Anything! will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance, Tim

mik01
30-06-2008, 10:52 PM
$hit! it only took you two years to save 300 grand!!!??!!?!??!?!?:o
sorry - couldn't resist:-/
sorry - can't help ya, but I'd love to know how many on here actually own one of these babies?

Roughasguts
30-06-2008, 11:26 PM
What 300K saved in only two years, hardly need my help, do you realise how much fuel that's going to use. You will need another 300 grand to run it for two years.

finding_time
01-07-2008, 12:38 AM
Kingfish

If your a fisherman a Blackwatch 30;) But i'll be real interested to see if Smithy replies as i doubt there is anyone on here that's been on more differant makes of fly bridge game boats than him, and i'm sure he'll give you a great summary!

Ian

kingfish101
01-07-2008, 12:47 AM
Yeah, the black watch 30 is definatly on my list, but does it come with a umm.. names escaped me... like a deck door? as in on the deck does it have a flap or a door to get thoes bigger fish in? also do you have any idea if its a comfortable boat? Is there anything else, anyone, can tell my about the black watch 30? as in past experiences or comments? or any black watch boats?

TimiBoy
01-07-2008, 06:02 AM
That's a Marlin door at the back. Black Watch are great fishing boats, albeit a little spartan if the Missus is going to be there mixing drinks...

Have you thought of a cat? You'll use about a third of the fuel, which might enable you to spend a little more. I'm doing very early homework on an upsized purchase too, and I'm leaning very strongly that way.

But if you want a monohull, Blackwatch, Deep V, Caribbean, even a Mustang are all worthy a good hard look. I haven't been on them (except at shows when new) but they all have an excellent reputation. I wouldn't be looking at Riviera, they're big heavy gin palaces (but if I could afford one, gee they're nice).

Good Luck,

Tim

Grand_Marlin
01-07-2008, 06:03 AM
G'day Tim,

The Blackwatch 30 is a nice boat and a worthy choice.
It will be shaft driven Yanmars around 300hp.
My criticism is they have a very basic (and cramped) cabin layout, and I think they are overpriced for the features offered.
Great looking boat, excellent fishing boat and very sea worthy.
The 34 is better, but still very basic cabin layout.
Definitely not the sort of thing you would be happy sitting in for a weekend.

The 40 is the pick of the range, but out of your price range.

If I were looking to spend 300K, other options would be:

Noosa Cat 3500 - 4100 Flybridge. (used)
Heaps more room than a mono hull for the same length boat.
Power could be sterndrive or shaft drive diesels - most probably Volvo.
Excellent seaworthiness, and it would be my first choice if I chose to do some serious coastal voyaging.

Caribbean 24ft (new)
For around $130,000 you would get a new flybridge boat that is still trailerable - therefore you dont have marina fees.
They are a basic setup with a forward v berth / double, convertible dinette, stove, icebox, single 5 litre Mercruiser.
Not available with a transom door, as the decks aren't self draining.

You could also step up to the 26 footer, which has the same layout, just bigger, and has twin mercruisers for under $200,000

Caribbean 32ft (new)
Neat little package with all the mod cons.
Powered by twin cummins 220hp diesels that would be super economical and reliable.
This boat is a great mid - sized boat, and one that I would put at the top of my list for the price.
It also has twin cabins + shower + big deck area with transom door.
This is the new modern shape top deck as well, so it looks great.

Caribbean 35ft (used)
A bigger boat, and an absolute classic.
Same twin cabin layout as the 32, but a lot more spacious.
All the Caribbeans are excellent sea boats and have a good dual purpose use for fishing / family cruising.
The downside is the styling.
The same hull and topdeck is shared by a 2008 model and a 1980 model (interiors are different) and they really are starting to look old and dated, even a new boat.

Riviera 34ft
Not my first choice, but a nice boat all the same.
They do feel like a smaller boat, and usually only have one forward cabin with a double and a convertible dinette.
It will be powered by twin diesels (either cummins or cats around 300hp)
In my opinion, not as good a sea boat as the Caribbeans.

No matter what your choice, make sure the following are included, or the price is appropriate for not being included.

Service history on motors.
Slipping details / receipts for anti fouling.
Electronics package, including quality brand (Raymarine / Furuno) GPS, Depth Sounder, Radar, Autopilot, VHF Radio.
Sani-Loo Onboard Sewerage treatment system & electric macerating toilet (now required by law)
Air Conditioning
Refrigeration
Genset
House battery bank
Upholstery / carpets in excellent condition.
Wiring in excellent condition.

These above items are what comes to mind as being the expensive ones to buy and fit, and could easily see you another $50,000 out of pocket if you have to add them later, or if you have to replace them.

Make sure you get the boat checked out by someone who knows their stuff.

Also, with Flybridge boats, the bigger the better (usually)
The longer waterline and wider beam will make for a better, more stable, more roomy, more comfortable boat.
When you are talking 8m, you are really at the absolute bottom end of anything that you would ever want to have a flybridge on.
My advice - look for something 30ft + or you will be looking very soon at upgrading.

Also, you have many more choices than these I have listed, but for quality, reliability and future resale - stick to known brands.

Cheers

Pete
(Valet Boat Services)

Noelm
01-07-2008, 08:42 AM
be careful that you do not go for a big small Boat, by that I mean any Boat that needs to be moored will attract a whole host of maintenance/security/fees issues, but if you do not go big enough, then the Boat becomes a bit of a liability, like a 30 footer (say) is not really big enough to do a Coastal trip, but still needs all the care that a bigger model will need, so unless you want to go for the biggest Trailer Boat you can possibly find and tow, and by that, mooring and painting and so on are eliminated, then go 10M or bigger (my thoughts only of course) there is a host of Boats about that will fit your price range in a dozen sizes and styles, also there is now a lot of smaller Diesel engined stuff around with small HP, but will still give a reasonable turn of speed, but will be cheapish to run and maintain.

on-one
01-07-2008, 09:30 AM
Noelm, I’m not sure that advice is true for everyone. Fair enough if you need a landcruiser or f250 for some other reason but with fuel prices the way they are the cost of mooring a 25ft boat can be cheaper than keeping it on a trailer. The only reason I’d need a big car is to tow a boat, by keeping it in the water I can run one 4cyl car, the money saved on fuel and depreciation more than pays for mooring fees and maintenance and I don’t have to worry about the hassle of using boat ramps the boat’s always there ready to go.

Noelm
01-07-2008, 09:51 AM
partialy true, but Security, lugging all your stuff to the Boat and back again for everytrip, all sorts of stuff come into play with a moored/marina Boat, been there and done it many times, sure it has some advantages, but unless the Boat is of a truly useful size, then the advantages just dwindle away, a large trailer Boat can be very cheaply stored, either at home or a yard, can be towed home for small bits and pieces and loading and unloading/cleaning after use, sure it is not for everyone and this is just my "slant" on it all, but advice is advice, and differing makes it easier for him to sort through it all (I reckon)

finding_time
01-07-2008, 01:15 PM
Timiboy

I think you'll find running a 30 blackwatch ( depending how you drive it) much more fuel efficent than you think!And definately more efficent than a larger cat with large 4's

Pete( Grand Marlin )

Good summary but there is more to a FISHING BOAT than internal fitout imho! Some boats screws are to close together and dont manoeuvre well also some boats just dont back- up well either( these are the first things i would look for in a fly bridged cruiser).While the black watch 30 is a little sparse inside it covers the above well.

Still hope Smithy gives an input!

Ian

Roughasguts
01-07-2008, 02:30 PM
Mate for 300k why don't you hire the latest and greatest, don't bother owning it it ain't worth it.

I use to hire ,or wet hire very exsensive Aircraft over 1/2 a million to a million, mate it's cheaper to do this in the long run and the very short term, every trip something buggers up. Radio, compass, toilet, Avionics, every thing buggers up.
And if you don't own it you don't pay for it!.

I was great mates with Millionaire and he bought two Air craft 6 months later no millionaire he was almost broke but the guy's that hired his rigs, just gave them back when they required major surgery. Think long and hard about spending money on a boat, Aircraft, trucks, cars, boats, you can get your fingers burn't.

I would think long and hard about spendig that kind'a doe, cause the first thing that goes when things go pear shaped is the toys, so what would you get for it when desperate ? Zip I would imagine.

Grand_Marlin
01-07-2008, 02:52 PM
G'day Ian,

I couldn't agree more.

I like the Blackwatch, but the Caribbean gives you the best of both worlds.

Hard core fishing - Blackwatch is very good.
Comfort for a weekend away - very poor.

I didn't get the feeling from his post that he is going to be backing down on many gamefish, but you never know.

After being on both boats - seaworthiness, handling and fishability is excellent on both.
The Blackwatch has a very well set up "game fishing" style flybridge and cockpit.
The Caribbean has a great cockpit, but the flybridge is awkward for game fishing... mainly due to limited vision - even with a small rear awning which is mandatory for fishing in Qld summers.

Don't you start us arguing over this Ian, as I don't want to violate my parole order again ;D

Cheers

Pete

Noelm
01-07-2008, 03:25 PM
RAG has some good points there, I have bought this up before, even to the point of using a charter service everytime you want to go out, sure it is not "yours" but at the end of the day, sometimes that is a good thing, just a friendly wave to the Skipper at the dock, and home you go, let him clean up, refuel, maintain, berth , worry, the whole lot.

kingfish101
01-07-2008, 03:44 PM
Hey everyone, thanks for the advice, its really helping. But it seems a boat with a fly bridge really does jump the price up. Now i've got a new problem, I've narrowed my choices down to either a Caribbean 340 or a Boston whaler 345. Boston whaler is cheaper and faster than the Caribbean but you can't beat the Caribbean look and class as a sport fishing vessel and as a weekend boat. So please guys! all this info is great, you have all saved me weeks of independent research and actually going to marina's and asking questions. Any more advice is warmly welcomed but if anyone with a Caribbean or a Boston whaler would like to put forward there two cents i'll be more than greatful.
Thanks again, Tim

finding_time
01-07-2008, 04:35 PM
Ok Tim

Now your talking something very differant and i;'ll change my tune completely and recomend that you look at a 3000 kevlacat , your just going to get so much more boat with similar fuel and storage and maintainance costs!

Ian