PDA

View Full Version : Stickbaits

dodge69
30-06-2008, 09:36 PM
Hi guys

Heading to the swains soon and have heard about these new stickbait lures, from Nomad and Blackjack.

Interested in peoples thoughts about how good they are and if people think they are worth the $55 -$60 price tag.

I could only imagine how tragic it would be to be bricked by a big GT when using such a lure.

Cheers

Dodge

matt__hill
01-07-2008, 05:03 AM
$55 is worth it when u get to see one come flying up to ur lure all lit up and inhale it off the surface!!
make sure it is tied to a decent rod and reel or u will be throwing 50s into the drink all day.
dont let people tell u that u can get away with a cheaper brand of reel either as u wont.
stella or saltigais the only way to go. or van staal if u are really keen.
the other and cheaper way to go is to troll the stickbaits which can be done on a quality 24kg setup but they are an angry fish o be prepared for losses.
go to nomads website and have a look at what the do to tackle.

cheers matt

Red Bull
01-07-2008, 12:23 PM
I am guessing that if you can afford such luxuries as Stellas or Saltiga's, then 60-odd bucks for a piece of wood isn't going to be a problem I suppose. I can't afford or justify either the reels or the sickbaits, so I am starting to make my own stickbaits and poppers. That way, losses won't hurt the bank balance so much. :P

I saw some Nomad Dogtooth stickbaits in the tackle shop yesterday and they were an unbelievable $70. Seems way over the top to me, especially as the sort of fish you'd be wanting to eat them, are known for destroying tackle and stealing lures in the blink of an eye. Then you add on all the associated terminals such as super-duper Owner/Decoy hooks and rings, and the costs go up even more.

Forgive my rant, but it must all be conspiracy on the part of the tackle industry to get us to part with our hard earned?! ;)

kevvie
01-07-2008, 01:22 PM
Mate for specialized tackle its very resonable...

If you can afford the approx $1000 per day cost for nomad then 60bux for a lure isnt the issue.

If you go through half dozen then its a good trip.

dodge69
01-07-2008, 03:02 PM
Hi guys

I hear what you are saying and for the record, I have no Stella, nor am I going on Nomad at $1,000 per day. My swains trip is like $1,200 for a week.

I am trying to justify the money for the chance of the prize fish and whether they actually work at all. I would love to know if you could source them anywhere cheaper?

I have heard that they catch marlin also!!]

Cheers

Red Bull
02-07-2008, 01:22 PM
Hi Dodge, I think it's safe to say the Nomad ones work very well......unless a helluva lot of people have pulled the wool over our eyes with trick photography and untruthful reports.:P And yes, I too have heard they catch just about everything living in coral reef waters, including marlin.

I found a cheap imitation stickbait made by Gillies in a Sandgate tackleshop, which was about 15cm long and cost $20. After buying it, I tested it in my pool and couldn't get it to do anything other than skate on it's side across the water surface. I tried all different speeds and stops, starts, jerks etc, but the lure would not do anything except lie on it's side. :-/ Now I'm very lacking in knowledge in this area, but surely big stickbaits are supposed to duck and dive just under the surface occasionally, aren't they? This thing looked useless.

So if someone knows what big stickbaits are supposed to look like in the water, please let us know! FWIW, I am making some timber stickbaits, and need to know where the weight should be distributed, and how to work them effectively.

Cheers
RB

GPB
02-07-2008, 02:40 PM
They work, no tricks:thumbsup:, Gillies have re-released a stickbait which I saw at Tackle World Kawana on the weekend. they won't last as long but if you loose them at under $20 it doesn't hurt as much;D .

Red Bull
02-07-2008, 03:15 PM
Thanks GPB, seeing as you clearly know they work, and by the looks of it, you know how to work them effectively, can you answer my questions in the post above.....What are they supposed to look like in the water, and how do you operate them to best effect?

Thanks
RB

GPB
03-07-2008, 02:40 PM
Most of the stickbaits work with a stop - start action, after casting out pull the rod across or around your body in a sweeping move bringing the lure towards you, place the rod back out in front of you again retrieving line as you do so and repeat after a slight pause. The stickbait should duck under the surface and move to the side and roll a bit as you sweep the rod, and pop up and rest as you retrieve the loose line.
Practice makes perfect on all the variations you can use, have fun;D .

Red Bull
03-07-2008, 02:46 PM
Cheers mate, that's great info.

ctwaddle
04-07-2008, 10:46 AM
Has anyone had any luck on the smaller stick baits for Barra around the snags at all?