PDA

View Full Version : converting aquarium fish

abbot_86
30-06-2008, 07:01 PM
hey fellas this thread had probly been done before. but im looking at getting a new fish for my tank . i did have a barra but he just died from unkown causes. so im wondering who can tell me what i need to do to convert a salwater estuary fish to fresh water. im thinking maybe a small cod or something(leagal size of course::) ) or maybe a jack if i can get my hands on one?? i know this has been done but just need some info on how its done and what types of fish will adapt well. thanks for your help nick!;)

tunaticer
30-06-2008, 07:22 PM
I started with sea water and whenever it rained i replaced a bucket of sea water with a bucket of rainwater. I did not have a rainwater tank then so now I would do it regularly about once a week and about a gallon at a time to change it over gradually.

Worst thing you could do is use tap water i think. Plain rainwater is the go as long as it has not come off a galvanized roof.

Both cod and jacks are easy to convert to fresh, as are bream and flathead.\

These days however I would be inclined to keep it salt water rather than converting. You tend to get a lot less algae problems with salt than fresh.

I also used to run a very large underground filter in my aquariums.

Jack.

Poodroo
30-06-2008, 08:36 PM
hey fellas this thread had probly been done before. but im looking at getting a new fish for my tank . i did have a barra but he just died from unkown causes. so im wondering who can tell me what i need to do to convert a salwater estuary fish to fresh water. im thinking maybe a small cod or something(leagal size of course::) ) or maybe a jack if i can get my hands on one?? i know this has been done but just need some info on how its done and what types of fish will adapt well. thanks for your help nick!;)

General rule is that if a species of fish is known to be found in salt, brackish, and even fresh conditions then it will convert to fresh easily enough. Examples like Bream, Mangrove Jacks can be converted to freshwater. Fish like Cod as far as I am aware never venture into even brackish water and I have never known of anybody to successfully convert them over to fresh. If it could be done then I guess we would find all marine species in aquarium stores being sold as freshwater fish.

Poodroo

Cammy
30-06-2008, 10:39 PM
This has been answered many times, have a look at the "Aquarium thread" in general chat, i think theres some stuff about it in there, or otherwise go to this link.
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=120520

Cammy