PDA

View Full Version : Bribie boat crash

TheRealAndy
30-06-2008, 08:58 AM
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/news/queensland/boat-crash-off-bribie-island/2008/06/30/1214677884354.html

Appears to suggest no nav lights. IT was bound to happen here soon. Its only speculation, but what shits me about this is that there was a 5 year old on board. The parents should be jailed if its true.

PADDLES
30-06-2008, 09:11 AM
at least no one was killed. lots of people out in boats yesterday. i see that a diver was run over by a boat at flinders too.

mik01
30-06-2008, 11:33 AM
school holidays - i guess something was bound to happen. seems that the last boat collision in the Bay was during school holidays also.
interesting how there was a recent thread about no lights in the bay and the dangers it poses - I theorised that it was mainly small tinnies with no lights at all rather than those with lights choosing not to use them.
they are very lucky and to put a child in that situation is reprehensible... (if thats what happened of course).

tunaticer
30-06-2008, 07:06 PM
The report says the boat was a tender.....what is the ruling on tenders??
Do they have to conform with all the rules and regs because they are not the primary vessel?
I can not ever remember seeing a tender with anything but ors and occasionally a lifejacket for the kids.
Most tenders are unregistered because they either have small outboards or are rowboats.

Either way it is very irresponsible to be on the water without some form of lighting.

Jack.

PADDLES
01-07-2008, 07:40 AM
absolutely tt, even a dolphin torch could possibly have averted this.

stingau
01-07-2008, 10:30 AM
Yeh but also what speed was the cruiser doing ive seen idiots fly around on the sth side of the bridge. does anyone know exactly where the reduced speed limit applies I would have though as soon as u pass the sthn most tipof bribie

PADDLES
01-07-2008, 12:22 PM
i didn't think there was a reduced speed limit anywhere around there sting, other than in the canals and spinnaker sound

SNAPPERCOFFIN
01-07-2008, 05:26 PM
Yeh but also what speed was the cruiser doing ive seen idiots fly around on the sth side of the bridge. does anyone know exactly where the reduced speed limit applies I would have though as soon as u pass the sthn most tipof bribie

No reduced limits in the passage only in canals and the marina, also should slow down passing other boats but if you can't see them how do you know they are there. No wonder their is so many accidents when people don't know the rules. Maybe the water ways would be safer if people knew than thought. Fish the passage heaps at night and come back in from wide at night would say at least 15-20% boats have no or poor lighting. Even seen them in the main channels under the bridge with no lights.

stingau
01-07-2008, 05:54 PM
My appologies, I have up until 3mths ago fished freshwater/creek due to my bass boat not suitable for anything else. Im sure I was told by someone that there are limits.

This is one of the advantages of web forums like this to correct and reassess info that is or could be passed on incorrectly

Foxy4
01-07-2008, 06:40 PM
I heard about this one while over at QF3 Redcliffe on Monday. Just lucky no one was killed.

Luc
01-07-2008, 08:23 PM
Very lucky no one was severly injured or killed.

There is no excuse for not having lighting at night.>:(

From the Qld marine safety wedsite:

Sailboats less than seven metres and vessels under oars must have a torch or lantern showing a white light ready to display in time to prevent a collision.

AND

Power-driven ships less than seven metres in length and whose speed does not exceed seven knots, may show an all round white light in lieu of sidelights. If practical, these ships should also show sidelights.

AND

Sport rowing ships
Ships engaged in rowing activities (training or competition) on the Brisbane River now need to display an all-round white flashing light if they are on the water before sunrise or after sunset.

IMO, this last requirement should also apply to Sailboats less than seven metres and vessels under oars so there is no option.

Luc

Col_s
02-07-2008, 06:10 AM
It doesn't matter what bloody sort of boat you have if you have got half a brain you would have lights on it. I'm sick of the boats in this area that don't have lights.
Tuned a bloke the other night for not having his alround white on and his reply was ..I'll turn it on when I feel like it...fact is you couldn't see him from behind. thought he could do what he liked on the water...with attitudes like this what can you say.

Co

Mindi
02-07-2008, 08:50 AM
It doesn't matter what bloody sort of boat you have if you have got half a brain you would have lights on it. I'm sick of the boats in this area that don't have lights.
Tuned a bloke the other night for not having his alround white on and his reply was ..I'll turn it on when I feel like it...fact is you couldn't see him from behind. thought he could do what he liked on the water...with attitudes like this what can you say.

Co

Agree Col...you cant make rules to eliminate the behaviour of really stupid reckless people.
What makes this unlit boat problem worse is that on most of our small boats our white running light (sometimes allround) nearly always badly pollutes your forward night vision. If you can arrange your fwd white to be shielded from the helmsman then the amount you can see in most night conditions is amazing after a few minutes acclimatization...but it is near impossible in a small boat, even if you shield it directly the reflection off the forward part of the boat spoils the vision. It is actually "better" to just drive red/green/stern white and no fwd white masthead.

TimiBoy
02-07-2008, 09:24 AM
I'm getting the radar fitted this Friday to protect me.

Two 123 dB horns to tell the idiots I'm shitty are going on at the same time.

Then when I pull in close to get their rego, I'll give them spotlights, too. "There you go, Mate. Shone your Dolphin at me and ruined my vision. How's yours, buddy?"

I'm sick of this, but even sicker of the lack of Policing. It's the old story. People have to die before the issue is recognised. I can only hope those who die haven't bred yet.

Then it's Natural Selection!!

Tim

Greg P
02-07-2008, 04:20 PM
Few times this year I have come back in late and there are even morons anchored in front of the bridge channel - clueless !!!

dazza
02-07-2008, 06:46 PM
hi all,
the passage is now a pretty busy waterway, and with limited/nil policing it is a disaster waiting to happen, hate to count the times i have been under the bridge in the dark and boats are anchored up without lights, even better they sit under the blue channel lights so they can see. if they want to kill themselves good luck to them, but the poor bugger that hits them will have to live with it forever
my 2 bob's worth
cheers
dazza

Luc
03-07-2008, 12:11 AM
Maybe we should all contact our local polies & Qld transport to get them to do some nightime policing!!

Luc

TimiBoy
03-07-2008, 05:56 AM
I'm going to do my own. Loud horns, loud voice, spotlights and photographic evidence.

I will be reporting every one of the dumb shits I see.

I will also be yelling at them!;D;D;D

Tim

blackjack
03-07-2008, 06:55 AM
excuse any ignorance i may show here, but as i read this thread, it made me think about the rules/ boat licensing etc. and it occurred to me that many people who don't have boat licences, may be ignorant of the rules of safe boating. you know no need for a licence because they don't travel over 10 knots... As i study for my own boat licence, i have realised just how much i didn't know about.

NO excuse for not having a brain in their heads tho'. who would be SO stupid as to be on the water with no lighting!
maybe it is something that should be introduced into the school system, as a part of the water safety curriculum, just basic boating rules.
certainly the Maritime authorities in this country are going to have to step up their advertising through whatever means; their presence, TV, newspapers etc. because the number of people on the water, like on the roads, is going through the roof. AND so is the number of water-borne catastrophies, just think Sydney Harbour!!!

just my thoughts...jen

MTAQ/BTAQ
03-07-2008, 07:24 AM
Just a minor clarification - If the vessel is over 6HP you must have a licence (NOT capable of doing more than 10 knots - in Queensland. I think the law in NSW is 10 knots).

Also boat licences are taught in schools that have a Marine Studies program as well as First Aid, scuba diving/snorkelling, radio operation, sailing and kayaking.

Noelm
03-07-2008, 09:15 AM
even though that may be the case, why should it be accepted then, that a small Boat with a (say) 5HP motor cannot get into just as much strife as a 50HP Boat?? Seems to me that the rules are in need of a full upgrade, remember most where made when 15knots was considered a speed boat, it also needs to take into account (say) a young person in their first foray onto Boating, they may have a small tinny and oars or a 2 HP Motor, so they are not needed to have a license or rego, but should it exemt them from knowing the Laws?? not too sure how we could realy approach this, but Boating areas are getting busy, boats are getting faster and more readily available, Fishing is becoming more popular, a whole host of things need to be factored into our current rules and regs, I reckon anyway.

blackjack
03-07-2008, 09:47 AM
even though that may be the case, why should it be accepted then, that a small Boat with a (say) 5HP motor cannot get into just as much strife as a 50HP Boat?? Seems to me that the rules are in need of a full upgrade, remember most where made when 15knots was considered a speed boat, it also needs to take into account (say) a young person in their first foray onto Boating, they may have a small tinny and oars or a 2 HP Motor, so they are not needed to have a license or rego, but should it exemt them from knowing the Laws?? not too sure how we could realy approach this, but Boating areas are getting busy, boats are getting faster and more readily available, Fishing is becoming more popular, a whole host of things need to be factored into our current rules and regs, I reckon anyway.

yes Noelm, that is what i was alluding too as well. all persons operating watercraft should have to have a licence of some kind, whether the standard one or a newly created one certifying you have undertaken basic boat/water safety. just a thought.
the Maritime authorities could do with the extra revenue the licensing would generate, we'd all be safer and less accidents would be the expected outcome. ;)

jenny

SNAPPERCOFFIN
03-07-2008, 06:08 PM
The guy would have known the rules even though the tinny he was driving did not need a license the large boat he left from and owned did need a license to drive but then he didn't have license.

SNAPPERCOFFIN
03-07-2008, 06:10 PM
yes Noelm, that is what i was alluding too as well. all persons operating watercraft should have to have a licence of some kind, whether the standard one or a newly created one certifying you have undertaken basic boat/water safety. just a thought.
the Maritime authorities could do with the extra revenue the licensing would generate, we'd all be safer and less accidents would be the expected outcome. ;)

jenny

Won't help much you will find more boats unlit in the passage with motors larger than 6hp than the smaller boats.

mr ed
03-07-2008, 06:26 PM
Gotta agree, its annoying how many people ignore the laws which not only puts them at risk of injury but the also the guy doing the right thing that hits them. I only have a 14 footer but its got two all round white lights, one on the bow and one on the stern, I have no desire to be hit but also if someone passing can clearly see you there is more chance they will pass nice & wide or slow down so as not to upset you.