PDA

View Full Version : outboard sound proofing

bilby
29-06-2008, 09:25 PM
Hi Guys/ gals,
Has anyone on here found something that will soundproof their outboard. I have a 30hp Mariner, its a great little engine but being a tiller i'd like to get the noise levels down a bit when i'm travelling to my fishing spots. I've looked at a cover but not sure if it will do much. Any advice would be great.
Cheers Fozzy:)

nutgunaspu
29-06-2008, 10:07 PM
Hi Fozzy,

Quite a few years ago I had a 135HP Johnson that had the annoying problem of one of the spark plug leads arcing to the metal in side the cover causing a miss, and a nasty shock if you had your hand on the cover when it happened.

I got around it by gluing dense foam rubber mat about 25mm thick on the inside of the cover. I think from memory it was a yoga mat that I cut to shape. Shorting out problem gone and had the side effect of quietening the motor down quite a lot. Used contact adhesive. Probably worth a try.

dreemon
30-06-2008, 08:31 AM
My thought was to go to a wetsuit place like rubber jungle and have them make up a custom cover out of 5 - 8 mm neoprene, but it might be costly but maybe cut the noise down a bit

FNQCairns
30-06-2008, 08:44 AM
I did it to my 90 smoker, used a sheet of the engine room/cover insulation sold for use at Whitworths, it was a too thick so had to do lots of mods to get it comfortable, the silver side came away in a few places after just a few trips, so i helped it out everywhere.
Very impressed with the quietness now compared to before.

Now at the ramp, I get raised eyebrow looks from the 4st brigade when I start it, both the quietness and the disconnected pisser. Have yet for anyone to give me a heads up the pisser is not working, which is a shame.

Next to get something like dreemon mentions fitted and I would need to check if the motor is still there!

cheers fnq

Outsider1
30-06-2008, 09:17 AM
You can buy spray on Sound Deadener from Super Cheap etc. Same foam like stuff you see in some cars under the bonnet and in the firewall etc. I have seen it used in some OEM Cowlings.

Cheers

Dave

foxx510
30-06-2008, 10:07 AM
One of the best sound deadeners is felt carpet underlay. You find it under the carpets in cars also for the same reason. If you go to the wreckers they will probably give you a bit, just look under the carpet in the back of station wagons. It has to be the felt stuff though, it's usually a grey-blue color with flecks of different color material all through it.

bilby
30-06-2008, 04:17 PM
Thanks heaps guys, much appreciated.
Cheers Fozzy

MEGA'bite
30-06-2008, 04:29 PM
if all else above fails go to a clark rubber store and tell em what you need it for

Dirtysanchez
30-06-2008, 04:36 PM
Mate for $1.25 go to the chemist and buy some of those ear plugs.
All the suggestions above are fine I guess, just gotta wonder if they would change the thermal characteristics of the cover greatly and help contain the heat from the motor, hence making it run hotter over long periods ?

I have a mate in the mowing game, he gives me earplugs and they work fine. Also good when missus is snoring :-/ :P

TheRealAndy
30-06-2008, 06:40 PM
Buy a Suzi ;D;D;D;D;D

Sorry, I couldn't help myself:oops: Btw, I dont own a suzi.