PDA

View Full Version : I am moving to Rocky

Custaro
28-06-2008, 12:25 PM
It was earlier this year that my wife and I decided to actively pursue a move to a regional town and escape the every growing problem of living and working in Brisbane. Originally from Rockhampton and my parents still there it was odds on favorite to get the guernsey. Things happened pretty quickly and with some things falling into place through my wife’s employer she was able to score a position in the Rockhampton branch. I still have to tie up the ends with my job but hopefully that should be ok. Job or no job, I am still going. I can’t wait to get back having never worked and lived separately to the oldies so it will still be an experience for me. Not long to go, moving on the weekend of the 19-20th of July.

Fishing talk, I have to thank Ausfish for an excellent portal into how to catch a fish or two in Moreton Bay. Without it I would have been up the proverbial creek without a paddle. I was able to crack a few regular target species, a 5kg bay snap on the smelly stuff, a few squire on plastics, some arm stretching LT’s, a few nice hauls of sizeable spots, a bucket of prawns from a local creek, a few hauls of muddies and a 1m+ threadie in the River. Some species also eluded me over a few trips, a bay jewie and a bay cobe. I am still young and hope to come back for another go. Never give up.

I am not leaving Ausfish and definitely not giving up fishing. I still have locked away many spot x’s and times for catching some beauties in and around Rocky. Plus, the old man has a much bigger boat than my tinnie so there will be plenty of regular trips to the reefs off Yeppoon. I was there for the summer after the 90/91 flood and can remember the ball tearing barra season in the Fitzroy. This years floods weren’t as big but big enough to bring another great season that I am eagerly waiting. Basically, I will be spending much more time on the water and you will see a few more reports from CQ.

Clay

jtpython
28-06-2008, 12:43 PM
Good to hear Clay
Will hope to catch you up here
Just in time for the fishing classic at Yeppooon on the 8 9 10 August hope to catch you up in the water around
JT

Custaro
28-06-2008, 02:16 PM
G'day JT. Will look forward to catching up with you for sure.

Not sure about the classic yet. I haven't got a clue what will happen with my job at the moment. I'll be there....if i'm there.:-/:-/

Local_Guy
28-06-2008, 02:31 PM
congrats on the move.

might see you out and about pulling up a few fish on the water...

dogsbody
29-06-2008, 08:39 AM
I'll have to find another fishing companion :'( Does that mean you won't be doing the R2M?

My bro got a Signature 580f so maybe I'll be able to post some pics of fish that will resemble the size of fish that you'll be onto. :o

See ya at the farewell bash. If not sooner.

Dave.

mangomick
29-06-2008, 10:18 AM
Your moving to Rocky and you're telling everybody. Whats wrong with you???

..........Only joking .......................or am I ;D ;D ;D

disorderly
29-06-2008, 11:24 AM
Your moving to Rocky and you're telling everybody. Whats wrong with you???

..........Only joking .......................or am I ;D ;D ;D

lol Mick....that there's Hillbilly country....http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gif
oops..hang on a minute...banjo playing is a favourite pastime up here as well.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/undecided.gif

mangomick
30-06-2008, 11:52 AM
Yeah I shouldnt joke about Rocky. I was really saddened when I read that during the floods many historical burnt out car wrecks of historical significance were washed away. And that was from the best part of town ;)

grahams
30-06-2008, 05:21 PM
I'm happy with hicksville, Here's what you can catch in arvo at the Keppels 2 weeks ago and a quick trip up north 1 week ago

Matheson
30-06-2008, 05:49 PM
Hi Clay,

Some of the best fishing I've ever done was at Stanage Bay which is only a couple of hours fron Rocky. The dirt road from the highway was a shocker but the trip was a great success with the 10 of us bringing home a swag of reefies and spanish mackeral. Hope to see some photos of your trips soon.

Matho

jtpython
30-06-2008, 06:45 PM
Yeah I shouldnt joke about Rocky. I was really saddened when I read that during the floods many historical burnt out car wrecks of historical significance were washed away. And that was from the best part of town ;)
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D OH HAHAHAHAHHA
Lest we breathe some clean air here unlike .................... where are you Mick Gladsmokeystone is it:P :P :P :P We drove to the marina and thought it was foggy how wrong we were:P :P :P

ifishcq1
30-06-2008, 07:58 PM
Boys, boys, boys ,, we are from Yeppoon not bloody Rocky which has just joined us to raise their real estate values

I suppose every town needs a dump now we have Rockyhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gifhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif

SL

grahams
30-06-2008, 08:54 PM
I take my boats to Gladstone for a cut and polish and acid wash before repainting. Don't do anything to em, just leave em in the Marina and then wash off the coal dust after a week. Come up a treat.
Don't know why they complain so much

Custaro
30-06-2008, 09:56 PM
Ya can bag Rocky all ya want....I heard it all before..

I had a choice to move to Gladstone too. Not keen on 24hr UV exposure.

I remember once upon a time when half of Yeppoon sold out to southern retirees and moved over the hill to Rocky. They partied hard for 6 months, bought big mad cruisers and fed the pokies what they had left. Rocky had to raise real estate prices to keep the d*ckheads away...we had enough already.

I will be happy. No longer will a 20min drive equal a 5min walk.

Catch you rednecks later.

P.S. That is a nice looking boat you on there grahams! you might need a hand washing that down one day??

jtpython
01-07-2008, 06:25 AM
I'm happy with hicksville, Here's what you can catch in arvo at the Keppels 2 weeks ago and a quick trip up north 1 week ago
Was that you taking a charter out on Sunday gramhan behind Conical?
JT

maztez
01-07-2008, 06:49 AM
Im jealous .I used to visit Rocky when I had a depot there and could have settled there easily ,however opted to start a business on the Gold Coast .Man have things changed over the years ...now retired and getting itchy feet again ,the only thing holding us here ATM is our 5 grandkids....oh well one day maybe ..cheers and enjoy your move..
Terry

mangomick
01-07-2008, 08:38 AM
If only the fish would bite so good;D ;D ;D

grahams
01-07-2008, 09:20 AM
JT,
It was probably our boat, Its on a 4 day bareboat charter (skipper yourself) and I thought they were going to North Keppel first.

mangomick
01-07-2008, 10:04 AM
Ya can bag Rocky all ya want....I heard it all before..

I had a choice to move to Gladstone too. Not keen on 24hr UV exposure.

What do you mean 24 hr UV exposure? We get bugger all UV through our permanent "protective " brown UV sun protection cloud.
and our fish are heavier than the same size fish in Rocky..........marvellous what a gut full of heavy metal can weigh8-)

jtpython
01-07-2008, 06:52 PM
What do you mean 24 hr UV exposure? We get bugger all UV through our permanent "protective " brown UV sun protection cloud.
and our fish are heavier than the same size fish in Rocky..........marvellous what a gut full of heavy metal can weigh8-)
UV is Under Violent Cloud of Dust coal and Smog i think clay was meaning Mick

Heavier fish lol:P Thats because you guys down there can't catch them we have to come down there and show youse how::)

rat_catcher
01-07-2008, 08:07 PM
Hey mate, there are a few of us Ausfishers around from up this way. Keep your eyes and ears open and it shouldn't be too hard to hookup with one of us. We are a pretty friendly buch of blokes! What is your father's boat? Maybe I have seen it around town.

stingau
02-07-2008, 07:59 PM
Brings back memories of my childhood, my family are from Rocky/Yeppoon/Alton Downs. Had an uncle who was a commercial fisherman in Yeepoon, he had the shark net maintainance contract as well as running barges to Geat keppel when they were bulding the resort. As a kid I used to go fishing off the Causeway. Tell me is Cranstons Pies still going, My grandparents own the house nextdoor to the bakery, I used to jump the fence and get given a pie thru the side window. Can always remember you could catch a feed from the causeway is it still the same.

Local_Guy
02-07-2008, 10:03 PM
yes stingau. the best pie shop in all of australia is now in bigger and better premises.

and you can still catch quality fish at the causeway. ... well they are there, catching them is another thing.

mangomick
04-07-2008, 11:15 AM
My young bloke picked this little number up there about 18 months ago. It was released back in . The salt water was just about finished pushing over the wall at the time. I picked up a nice estuary cod on a lure just after fishing just further along the wall

ifishcq1
04-07-2008, 07:36 PM
Mangomick

that is called the run- through it turns on all the fish in the lake while the water runs over the wall until it catches up with outside,, right where your mate got that barra we released one 1325mm and scored a couple of 400mm jack,,, any tide over 3.8 is a run-through,,so many fish for a place that is nearly silted up

Cheers

SL

mangomick
04-07-2008, 08:35 PM
Yeah Scott ,I see it's a pretty popular spot. My young bloke got him out of season but he would have let it go anyway and not only that but look how he caught it .
Thats why I'll never let him count it as a catch;D
Typical young bloke.....more arse than class:-[

ifishcq1
04-07-2008, 09:43 PM
I recon it should count the young bugger did well to land it

SL