PDA

View Full Version : Tide clocks

disorderly
28-06-2008, 10:44 AM
I'm just wondering how tide clock's work and how accurate they are.
I was thinking,as I don't wear a watch ,that it would be handy to keep an eye on what parts of the tide the bite periods are happening.
Also wondering if anyone has seen a model thats able to be fitted in the boat?

Scott

TonyM
28-06-2008, 11:27 AM
Hi Scott,

There's a few different types and the accuracy varies quite a bit. With tides there are many factors that come in to play to get an accuurate prediction and the clocks tend to be based on a very basic model.

The digital ones generally are more accurate although once again might not be very accurate depending on your location. Tides are more complex in some areas than others due to various factors affecting flow and frequency. I did some work a few years ago on tide prediction software with assistance from a bloke from RAN Hydrographer and it's enough to do your head in ::)

For use in the boat I'd highly reccomend using a GPS that includes tide data, these tend to be fairly accurate and most Marine GPS devices would include it nowadays. The GPS will also give you info on sun and moon times, even barometric pressure in a few models!

Cheers
Tony

Fatenhappy
28-06-2008, 11:36 AM
Hey Scott ...

I have had two for well over a year ... one at work and one at home ...

They seem to be spot on as long as the original set up is followed ...

Only problem I find is that when I glance at it at work I think I should be out on the water instead of working ......... :'( :'( :'(

ifishcq1
28-06-2008, 03:33 PM
Hi Scott

My watch has a tide meter and it is usually pretty close I think it churns over so each tide is about 22-23mins apart...Just like Tony M said about his gps my lowrance navionics card shows tide and levels when you click on the T near most harbours and big ramps..these days most gps units have that feature

SL

disorderly
28-06-2008, 08:50 PM
Thanks guys I might look around for a suitable tide clock as my older model Garmin GPS doesn't have Aust. tide info.

Scott

white patch
30-06-2008, 04:22 PM
You can buy a Casio Sea pathfinder from BFC for $70 which does a good job with tides time moon phases and date.

PADDLES
01-07-2008, 07:43 AM
we've got an analogue one in the kitchen at home that i scored from santa a year and a half ago and i haven't adjusted it since. it's still pretty much spot on, they're great.

bigtez
01-07-2008, 07:55 AM
Is this what you are after?

http://www.tidetime.com.au/tideclocks.php