PDA

View Full Version : jockey wheel matinence

ronnien
27-06-2008, 04:46 PM
hi all,
can someone please tell how the jockey wheel comes apart so that i can oil it up, starting to get a bit hard.

ron.

Blackened
27-06-2008, 04:48 PM
G'day

Wind the thing up, and keep winding... the internal thread should drop out and along with it the lower assembly.

The handle can come off, It's usually a grub screw holding it on

Dave

ronnien
27-06-2008, 05:00 PM
dave,
thanks for that mate, will give it a go now.

ron.

Roughasguts
27-06-2008, 05:10 PM
Hopfully it only needs a clean up of the threads and a lube.
But if the threads a bit chewed through lack of lube, and dirt, then might be time for a new one thankfully there not that exspensive at super cheap.

Moonlighter
27-06-2008, 05:25 PM
Hey Ron

A few years ago the same thing happened to my Alco jockey wheel.

I was pulling it apart as described by one of the earlier posts and suddenly found ball bearings falling out everywhere. These JW's are a pretty basic bit of kit and I was just in the process of looking at it and thinking "this ones for the bin" when my neighbour strolled over.

George is a retired boilermaker and one of those guys who believes that nothing can't be fixed.

He looks at the jockey wheel, says: "I reckon I've got a used Ford XE wheel bearing that would fit in there to replace that crummy race and ball bearing setup".

Next thing I know we've got the Ford bearing(inner bearing - the larger one), it fits inside the main JW housing neatly, just have to pack the inner shaft of the JW a bit, we clean and grease up the old used wheel bearing, and put the JW all back together.

I now have the smoothest wind up jockey wheel of all time!!!

That was done 4 years ago and its still going strong.

Food for thought!

Grant

ronnien
27-06-2008, 05:28 PM
ok tried that, does the wheel need weight on it to unscrew fully? what takes the grub screw out star or flat screwdriver? or allen key?

ron

FNQCairns
27-06-2008, 05:49 PM
I think on some it is the handle that holds the internals in, to remove the handle the rollpin needs to be pushed out with a pin punch of the same diameter. Then if it does all come apart a new roll pin must be used, imagine the guts falling out at 100kph bouncing then implanting through your lovely hull!!! or a late model BMW grill!

cheers fnq

ronnien
27-06-2008, 06:39 PM
it's apart now, nothing wrong with the thread & the bearings fell out everywhere!
fnq where would you get a new roll pin from, again thanks for the replys.

ron.

FNQCairns
27-06-2008, 06:44 PM
I would try any of the quality bearing suppliers, they should have a box with a selection in it to choose from, if they are any good.

Think up here I would head to allied bearings, think that's the name:-/

cheers fnq

phewy
27-06-2008, 09:07 PM
Hey there Ron.
Any or most caravan repair shops will stock the correct bearing kit for your j/wheel.
Townsville has a few accessory/spare parts shops I see....

http://www.townsvillecaravans.com.au/spareparts.html
http://www.classiccaravans.com.au/
http://www.caravanmart.com.au/

if these places don't stock it, they will get it for you.

We sell them down here in melb for a tad under $10 .