PDA

View Full Version : fish eggs

sparkyice
27-06-2008, 01:34 AM
quite a few people, my self included, will eat the egg skein from a particular species of fish we have here, the yellow perch.
the eggs are tiny, thousands in a given fish, and in the winter are tightly bunched in a little sac.
poached, fried, deep fried, they have a texture like gritty jello, with just a slight salty, fishy hint to them.
they are a bit of an aquired taste, some love em:P , some are repulsed.:-X
you folks do anything like this?

onerabbit
27-06-2008, 06:04 PM
When I was a kid we used to love eating the flathead roe, lightly fried by Mum,

Can't seem to bring myself to do it now,

a bit spoilt maybe.

Muzz

Outsider1
27-06-2008, 06:14 PM
Used to eat lots of mullet roe when I was a kid. Haven't had it for years.

Cheers

Dave

Nic
03-07-2008, 07:27 PM
I love those little orange eggs you get with sushi rolls, can't get enough of them! I've heard they're the roe of a flying fish.

trueblue
03-07-2008, 07:35 PM
I love those little orange eggs you get with sushi rolls

most likely sturgeon caviar...

very nice

Nic
05-07-2008, 10:15 AM
It would be nice if they were sturgeon roe but I knew one sushi guy who used to sell purely fish egg rolls, just a little bit of rice and seaweed and stacks of those tiny orange eggs... so I expect they are pretty cheap and in plentiful supply! Even the poorer quality red sturgeon caviar (poorer in quality only to black, that is!) is pretty expensive, unfortunately.

Anyway, go the fish eggs -- people who turn up their noses at it are missing out I reckon!

Outsider1
05-07-2008, 10:47 AM
most likely sturgeon caviar...

very nice

"Fish eggs. Generally, flying fish, smelt, and salmon roe are available in all sushi restaurants."

http://www.sushifaq.com/terminology.htm

Nic, I think the orange ones you are talking about are Salmon Roe. Yep, I love them too!.

More info on Fish Roe here;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roe

Cheers

Dave

trueblue
05-07-2008, 12:44 PM
salmon eggs are good too

maxi-trevor
06-07-2008, 01:16 AM
The Koreans make a spicy seafood soup with fish roe, it's mullet I think. It's great if you love spicy food.

major-defect
14-07-2008, 06:17 AM
I love fried fish roe so do my girls.Thats the first thing the youngest one asks when she catches a fish"do ya reckon it's got eggs dad".

TimiBoy
14-07-2008, 06:47 AM
ooooooooooooooooo YUK!

You lot are grubs!;D;D;D;D;D

Tim

Nic
17-07-2008, 11:41 AM
Don't see how it's any worse than an egg that comes out of a chicken's bottom but hey – if other folks don't like roe it means all the more for me. :)

disorderly
17-07-2008, 12:06 PM
Unfortunately every time I try to eat fish roe these days it brings back memories of my childhood ..... my old man would cook the crap out of them on the barbie until they were hard and dry and then make us pretend that they were a treat.

Still can't eat them to this day.

Little grey men
17-07-2008, 01:54 PM
My Grandpa used to love roe out of Yellowbelly and Jewfish. They smelled OK when being cooked but nah !!! just didn't see the attraction. Like big fish sausages. He'd fry them up out on the riverbank during our fishing trips, and some of them were real big. But those ones on top of sushi rock, I love when they pop in your mouth...mmmmmmmm !!!!