PDA

View Full Version : Travelling at slow speeds

dnej
26-06-2008, 09:38 PM
When travelling at slow speeds,in displacement mode,for example in go slow zones,is it better to get a few revs up,and travel with trim out,thus putting less strain on the box.
I was getting a bit of vibration,until I did that.
I have a wedge fitted.
What do you guys do ,at low speeds.
David

Hornet Rider
27-06-2008, 07:39 AM
David, what is 'displacement mode' please?

ozscott
27-06-2008, 08:02 AM
it means not on the plane matey - ie when off the plane you are displacing water with the hull.

Cheers

FNQCairns
27-06-2008, 08:14 AM
When travelling at slow speeds,in displacement mode,for example in go slow zones,is it better to get a few revs up,and travel with trim out,thus putting less strain on the box.
I was getting a bit of vibration,until I did that.
I have a wedge fitted.
What do you guys do ,at low speeds.
David

I guess each hull will be different, to find the sweet spot leave the throttle alone and watch the rpm and speed while working the trim, when both of these numbers max out the engine is doing it the easiest.

When travelling at a speed just fast enough where the hull starts to overtake it's compression wave - then you have lost displacement mode and you will need a bucket full of HP to find the next mode.

cheers fnq

dnej
27-06-2008, 12:53 PM
Thanks.
because of the wedge,I have negative trim,to stop the high speed porpoise.Did a great job.
I will play around with the trim,without moving the throttle, a bit more at the slow speed to find that sweet spot.
This boat has become a joy to use,with all the modifications over the years.Glad I went to the 90hp.
David

bushbeachboy
27-06-2008, 04:02 PM
What sorta boat you got dnej?

dnej
27-06-2008, 08:32 PM
bushbeachboy
Used to be a stessl,but after the mods,we call her a Stessfish,because it is a combination of a stessl & a Fisher
David