PDA

View Full Version : Gear for 20lb fish

hotboxcivic
26-06-2008, 11:31 AM
hey guys, i've had all my rods stolen last night, and i have plans to go fishing next weekend so i'm in a rush to buy some gear.

i have a 4000 shimano sienna, i know it's not the best of reels, but i'm hoping to chase 20lb fishies off the rocks with it, having said that i'm really after 10lb fish. can you recommend a rod and braid to suit what i'm after. i was reading here that fireline is good, how many yards of fireline do i need on the 4000? shimano states "8/240, 10/200, 12/160" but i'm sure that's for mono. i was thinking of 20lb line and a 3-7kg 2 piece rod. would a Silstar Crystal blue or Abu Garcia Ultracast do the trick?

also a 2500 shimano sienna and 2500 slade for estuary, i had a Silstar Crystal tip for the reels but now that's gone, i'm tempted to buy the same. once again any recommendations?

i have a budget of around $100-120 for line and rod, i know it's tight, i have 3 rods to buy and braid.. a recommended place to go would be great too. location: sydney.

one other thing, what lb mono tracer shound i be looking at for the rock setup?

regards, daniel.

Horse
26-06-2008, 06:29 PM
Even 10lb fish off the rocks are demanding. What species are you after and what sort of techniques are you going to use

Cheers

Neil

hotboxcivic
28-06-2008, 05:32 AM
i guess the lb of fish really depends on the day, i'm particularly targeting any species, i'm looking for an all-rounder (if there is a such thing) for pelagics, drummer, grouper.

disorderly
28-06-2008, 08:01 AM
When I was younger I used to use a beach rod and overhead off the rocks (in NSW).
Those drummer sure do test you out.

Scott