PDA

View Full Version : Sarca anchor retrieval

thelump
25-06-2008, 07:13 AM
Having just forked out a lot of cash for one of these I was curious to know if it would bo OK to use an anka yanka to retreive it. :-/

STUIE63
25-06-2008, 08:33 AM
the anchor yanka would work fine . just make SURE you wire the stainless shackle so it can't undo I lost a sarca because the shackle undid . when I get another one I will weld the sucker closed
Stuie

backlash08
25-06-2008, 09:07 AM
People have different views on the SARCA, I found that in real reefie country it doesnt matter what you do, they are hard to get back, mine is still sitting on the banks the only the reef picks for me anymore

revs57
25-06-2008, 10:11 AM
I've been using a Sarca for 2 1/2 years and successfully use a float ball retrieval system that you drive off. I've had it stuck a couple of times but have so far been able to get it back.

If it pulls up on the hard and doesn't budge, let out a heap more anchor rope so it acts like a bungee, gently motor to the outer radius, and start going around on the rope at the extremity a couple clockwise, then a couple anti clockwise, keeping the pressure on, the extra rope length enables some stretch to ping it out, it might come up looking like its pretty mangled, but you can easily straighten it up and keep using it.

Cheers

rhys

tenzing
25-06-2008, 12:07 PM
the anchor yanka would work fine . just make SURE you wire the stainless shackle so it can't undo I lost a sarca because the shackle undid . when I get another one I will weld the sucker closed
Stuie
Wouldnt you rather just use a gal shackle. (can still wire to be sure)
Brendan

tenzing
25-06-2008, 12:09 PM
People have different views on the SARCA, I found that in real reefie country it doesnt matter what you do, they are hard to get back, mine is still sitting on the banks the only the reef picks for me anymore
Just left my manson supreme. (same concept- same cost) to davey jones . From now on its reef pick and cheap plough only.
Brendan

STUIE63
25-06-2008, 12:13 PM
They told me you should use a stainless shackle and wire it but like an idiot I just did up the shackle with a spanner and tried it but anchor now resides in 40m of ocean

tenzing
25-06-2008, 12:59 PM
They told me you should use a stainless shackle and wire it but like an idiot I just did up the shackle with a spanner and tried it but anchor now resides in 40m of ocean
At least it was just the anchor. My best effort was anchor +chain(10m) +rope(not enough left to be useful) +broken bow roller+ damaged glass on bowsprit+ son scared witless of getting anchor stuck again. Total araound the $1k mark!

STUIE63
25-06-2008, 01:09 PM
[quote=tenzing;848396]At least it was just the anchor. My best effort was anchor +chain(10m) +rope(not enough left to be useful) +broken bow roller+ damaged glass on bowsprit+ son scared witless of getting anchor stuck again. Total araound the $1k mark![/quote

and there I was spewing about the $200
Stuie

backlash08
25-06-2008, 05:03 PM
dont you just love reef picks!! soooo easy

dreemon
25-06-2008, 07:01 PM
I really like my sarca and now will only use reef pic on the reef, I did bend the sarca on reef,... but it bent back,

Dean1
25-06-2008, 08:53 PM
Just use a gal shackle on your sarca and make sure its tight and it'll be fine. I lost my sarca only because the rope lay over a ledge(rubbed through) otherwise they are a great anchor just expensive. Tripped plough for me now and its performing excellently! I get sickof bending the prongs on a pick but they are cheap. Deano

tenzing
25-06-2008, 09:35 PM
dont you just love reef picks!! soooo easy
I do now! Took me two losses to learn though

revs57
26-06-2008, 07:17 AM
I found anchoring too inconsistent with a reef pick, they are much lighter and take longer to get down, I too got sick of bending the prongs, but found that by bending only the last 100 mm of rod on each prong, they seemed to work better.

But I have found the Sarca pulls up reliably most times, the only time I've had a problem anchoring wiht the sarca is is the anchor chain has knotted adn not laid out correctly. I halso has one of those Tommie things, a bungee for the anchor and that has also made a difference, taking more stress of the anchor

Cheers

Rhys

cheers

rhys