PDA

View Full Version : Alumium Targas,how does the loaded strength compare

dnej
24-06-2008, 09:41 PM
Just about ready to get a Targa made.Was thinking of sticking with 25mm aluminium tube,with 3mm wall.
Has any one had strentgh problems with aluminium,compared to stainless?
Are there any sway problems,when loaded.
I had roll type bars,and rack on my soft top cruiser,and when the rack was loaded,it flexed,and eventually broke.
Quite different of course,due to the load.
Anyone had any problems,with aluminium targas?
David

trueblue
25-06-2008, 08:12 AM
aluminium has problems with cracking. if it flexes anywhere, it will eventually break on that spot where it is flexing

cheers

Mick

seatime
25-06-2008, 10:46 AM
David, if it's not carrying too much of a load and it's sufficiently braced you shouldn't have problems with alloy.

Steve

tunaticer
25-06-2008, 05:51 PM
It comes down to your design as to whether it will crack or not. All too often we see very poorly designed things that may look good but have no longevity by design.

Stainless steel even though it is a stronger metal and heavier than alloy suffers from fatigue twice as much as alloy, but being a stronger material it may outlast the alloy before the fatigue lets it crack. Stainless "work hardens" with vibration and stress.

Jack.

Ian1
27-06-2008, 11:24 AM
Hey Dneg

I built the one in the pic from mostly 25mm x 3mm tube. No problems yet. The vertical tubes are 32mm. As long as it has plenty af bracing to support it there's no problems with 25mm tube. Try and use plenty of angles/gussets etc to stiffen it up. If you are going to weld it then thats where its most likely to bend.

Ian

CamH
27-06-2008, 06:33 PM
I had this one made up about a year ago and works like a beauty.

dnej
27-06-2008, 07:38 PM
Cam H,
What size and thickness is that tube
David