PDA

View Full Version : Which motor for my little 10ft plastic.

sctj88
24-06-2008, 06:48 PM
I have a little 10 foot plastic boat it is similar to the Polycraft tuff tender. I want to use it as a single or two person fishing boat, for small creeks and river. I only want to spend about $500 for a motor for it. I am trying to decide what would be a better option go an electic trolling motor only for it, or try to get a small 2stroke out board. I'm leaning towards an electric trolling motor. But can't decide on what size i should go, or if its better to go for a 2 stroke. Anyone used one of these boats before or have a set up similar. Below is an ebay link to the boat in question.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/10ft-Plastic-boat-unsinkable-polycraft-type_W0QQitemZ110263743366QQihZ001QQcategoryZ15839 5QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Mtx
24-06-2008, 07:18 PM
I would just stick with electric for what you are talking about doing with it.

sctj88
24-06-2008, 08:32 PM
What size electric would i need. Will 18pd be enough or would 30 pd be better.

BaitThrower
25-06-2008, 08:29 AM
Definitely 30, but also factor in that you need to carry a battery for an electric which is at least another $200 for a decent one, then another $100-$150 for a multi-stage charger for that. Could end up costing close to $750 all up.

I'd maybe be looking at a 2.5hp 2 stroke. You can get them for around the $600 mark new and probably will be faster than a leccy.

Dirtysanchez
25-06-2008, 10:38 AM
Hi, I know a bloke who has a 2hp Yammy 2 stroke for sale, for about $120

sctj88
25-06-2008, 12:26 PM
Where is your mate.

Gagga08
25-06-2008, 12:56 PM
Definitely 30, but also factor in that you need to carry a battery for an electric which is at least another $200 for a decent one, then another $100-$150 for a multi-stage charger for that. Could end up costing close to $750 all up.

I'd maybe be looking at a 2.5hp 2 stroke. You can get them for around the $600 mark new and probably will be faster than a leccy.

You do not need a $200 deep cycle battery to run a 30lb leccie...nor do u need an expensive charger.

I say this because for two years I have been running a 54lb leccie with a battery I got out of an old truck, the battery itself was already a few years old, cost me a six pack of VB. I bought a cheap $40 charger from super cheap auto. The battery can run the motor for 8 hours and still have plenty left. No need to fork out a whole heap of cash, but I spose its all about image for some people and they just need to have the best of everything.

sctj88
25-06-2008, 02:27 PM
You do not need a $200 deep cycle battery to run a 30lb leccie...nor do u need an expensive charger.

I say this because for two years I have been running a 54lb leccie with a battery I got out of an old truck, the battery itself was already a few years old, cost me a six pack of VB. I bought a cheap $40 charger from super cheap auto. The battery can run the motor for 8 hours and still have plenty left. No need to fork out a whole heap of cash, but I spose its all about image for some people and they just need to have the best of everything.
This boat will only be for where i don't want to or can't take my poly craft. I will be getting a fairly good battery for the big boat to use for it's electric motor. So was just going to use it in both boats, will already have the charger again for the big boat so only cost will be the actually electric motor which i've seen for around the 200 mark and cheaper. Although if i can get a second hand 2 stroke and work on it that woyuld be good too. Im trying to get away with not having to register it.

BrandonH
25-06-2008, 02:53 PM
I think your on the right track Sctj, although I wouldn't want to go a leccie thats not saltwater and I think they still start at 40lb. I have putted around in a mates 10 fotta b4 using my stern mounted leccie with a 130amp trojan battery (running lights sounder and motor) This setup with the 2 of us and some gear got us around for a good 5 hours b4 it started to die. Gagga I would like to know what kind of boat you were pushing around with your leccie to get 8 hours out of a standard battery!!!

GL with your project, its a nice looking little polly:)

Cheers
Brandon...

Gagga08
25-06-2008, 03:02 PM
Brandon my boat is a 395 Explorer Trophy....and its not a standard car battery. its a heavy duty truck battery.

BrandonH
25-06-2008, 03:59 PM
thanks Gagga,

Even though its a Heavy Duty truck battery it won't last as long as even a cheap 85amph deep cycle battery. I can't remember exactly why at the moment but its something to do with "standard 12v batteries" not being able to keep a constant flow of power or something:-/ will get back to you on that one when I have time to check it out.

Here we go;) fromhttp://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm#Starting,%20Marine,%20and%20Deep-Cycle%20Batteries
Starting (sometimes called SLI, for starting, lighting, ignition) batteries are commonly used to start and run engines. Engine starters need a very large starting current for a very short time. Starting batteries have a large number of thin plates for maximum surface area. The plates are composed of a Lead "sponge", similar in appearance to a very fine foam sponge. This gives a very large surface area, but if deep cycled, this sponge will quickly be consumed and fall to the bottom of the cells. Automotive batteries will generally fail after 30-150 deep cycles if deep cycled, while they may last for thousands of cycles in normal starting use (2-5% discharge).
Deep cycle batteries are designed to be discharged down as much as 80% time after time, and have much thicker plates. The major difference between a true deep cycle battery and others is that the plates are SOLID Lead plates - not sponge. This gives less surface area, thus less "instant" power like starting batteries need.
Unfortunately, it is often impossible to tell what you are really buying in some of the discount stores or places that specialize in automotive batteries. The golf car battery is quite popular for small systems and RV's. The problem is that "golf car" refers to a size of battery (commonly called GC-2, or T-105), not the type or construction - so the quality and construction of a golf car battery can vary considerably - ranging from the cheap off brand with thin plates up the true deep cycle brands, such as Crown, Deka, Trojan, etc. In general, you get what you pay for.
Something else I was just thinking about is that tidal flow will impact on how much life you get out of your battery. Also a leccie motor that has say a 4 step forward 3 step reverse setup rather than an analog switch (like all minn kota bow mounted leccies) will chew more power.

Quote from Minn Kota site about speed controllers (new stern mounted models now have the "digital Maximizer").

Up to five times longer run time on a single charge.
Conventional speed coil technology wastes energy by delivering a constant, steady flow of power to the motor – regardless of the speed setting – resulting in wasted energy.

Cheers
Brandon...

Dirtysanchez
25-06-2008, 04:04 PM
Where is your mate.

Hello, well he is here, northside of Brisbane.
Where are you ?
Better yet, send me a PM ;)