PDA

View Full Version : Mercury Verado L4 200 Hp

anytime
24-06-2008, 06:33 PM
Hi all , l am considering a mercury verado L4 200 hp for a 6m plate boat , it is the max hp for this model , does anyone own one or have any experiences with this motor , it is the lightest 4st motor ( 200 hp ) on the market , thanks.

Moonlighter
24-06-2008, 07:38 PM
Hi Anytime

"BobP" who is a member here on Ausfish has one of these excellent motors on his Cruisecraft Explorer 625.

I'm a confirmed plate alloy man, and never thought much of the old black anchors, but I have to say that after being out fishing in that boat with Bob a few times, I can say that I'm very, very impressed with how well the Cruisecraft goes with that 200 Verado on the back. Its an impressive bit of kit, power steering, smartcraft gaugues etc, excellent acceleration, great economy too. Smooth and fast.

Send Bob a private message and I'm sure he'll be able to fill you in with all the technical info and performance reports that you need. He did heaps of reserch before he bought this motor and will have ptenty of info to share.

Good luck

Grant

BrenMac
24-06-2008, 07:57 PM
G'day Anytime,

I have the L4 200 Verado on a 6mtr plate ali Genesis and am real happy with the set up.

Holeshot is great, top end speed is exactly what I was looking for and cruising economy is excellent. The DTS is silky smooth and you cant get the power steer if you want, just make sure your batts are up to it.

I got the Vesselview screen which is fantasic and gives you a heap of info. I'm going to supplement it with some basic link gauges, but they're not a necessity.

Let me know if you want any other info.

Cheers
Brendan

anytime
24-06-2008, 08:16 PM
G'day Bren Mac , just joined ausfish so still learning how to post and pm , thanks for the reply .I am thinking of putting it a fisher 600 maxi , how do you think it will go ? any problems so far ? any information would be great , how does it compare to a honda ,suzuki 200 ,holeshot ,mid range ,top end , thanks mate , Robert .

TimiBoy
24-06-2008, 08:19 PM
G'day Anytime,

I have the L4 200 Verado on a 6mtr plate ali Genesis and am real happy with the set up.

Holeshot is great, top end speed is exactly what I was looking for and cruising economy is excellent. The DTS is silky smooth and you cant get the power steer if you want, just make sure your batts are up to it.

I got the Vesselview screen which is fantasic and gives you a heap of info. I'm going to supplement it with some basic link gauges, but they're not a necessity.

Let me know if you want any other info.

Cheers
Brendan

I have the 250 on my 685. What do you like most about vessel view? Is it worthwhile?

Cheers,

Tim

BrenMac
24-06-2008, 09:10 PM
Hi Anytime,

Don't know much about the boat you are considering, but just had a brief look at the specs and my guess is that the Verado L4 200 would be a good match. Just check with the manufacturer that the weight of the motor is OK- the L4 200 is the lightest 200HP 4 stroke around (I think?) so shouldn't be a drama.

No probs at all with mine yet, but have only done 25 hours so far. One thing, make sure that the mechanic doing your servicing is Verado certified! You need to know what you are doing when working on these.

How does it compare to the Suzy and Honda equiv? Haven't had anything to do with them, but would be pretty similar I imagine. Verado has extras like DTS and Smartcraft and is a small block with Supercharger, where as the Suzy and Honda are much larger block motors, so it's not really comparing apples with apples.

I'm guessing mid range and top end speed, economy would be similar and reckon the Verado would have the holeshot edge with the supercharger, but have no facts to back this up!:-/

I'm really happy with the economy I'm getting- 70Km trip averages 1.9km/l with plenty of WOT thrown in across the estuary and I can sit on around 25 knots @3600RPM @ 2.2km/l.

WOT on my boat is usually 42 knots, bit faster on flat water with wind / tide in favour. My hull design is for stability, not speed, so you probably would get more out of your boat!

Hope this helps Anytime!

Timiboy, there is a link put up here somewhere re the Vesselview (review) by Glen from the Verado Club. Have a look if you haven't already- it shows all of the various pages and info available. I spend most of my time on the page that gives trim angle, RPMs, speed and fuel flow. Cool to have all that in front of you on one LCD page and then I have the top bar of the page showing air temp, gear selection and time (you can change this to whatever you like). There are 3 main areas in the Vessel View with several pages in each area.

Is is worthwhile- yell yeah!

Cheers
Brendan