PDA

View Full Version : Anchor Retrieval

tenzing
24-06-2008, 05:46 PM
I wonder if someone could give me some advice?
I am using an ezi-lift device and large float to retrive my reef pick. The line is usually under the spring loaded pin on my hinged bow roller and tied off on a fairlead.
When I drive off the bow roller would be too flimsy to resist the backward and lateral force from the rope so I lift it out from under the pin and just let the rope pull down to the base of the vertical of the bow rail which seems ok ? but I am unsure if it should be placed under that stress. I retrieve the anchor from the side of the cockpit and re deploy if necessary from there.

Can someone tell me if this is ok ,or what I might do to lessen the chances of a stuff up. Any advice would be appreciated, I just dont feel that confident doing this.

Brendan

mirage
24-06-2008, 07:16 PM
I use the bow roller, the bow rails aren't designed for that purpose. The bow rails might only be bolted on to 1cm thick glass where the roller is probably bolted into 1 inch thick glass and wood.

Having said that if your pick is dead set stuck solid you can bend the bow roller, I've even seen a boat with the bow sprit ripped off by the anchor rope, but I bet the bow rail would have come off quicker. Just be cautious when driving off.

Cheers, Scotty.

Mr__Bean
24-06-2008, 07:57 PM
Just watch how much load you do put on the bowsprit if you keep the rope out on the bow roller.

This post sort of reminded me about another one that was on here a while ago.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=109034

- Darren

Fish Guts
24-06-2008, 08:05 PM
mate id be putting on a larger bow roller setup. i think it could damage your stainless and pull it out of the glass if you come against resistance.

disorderly
24-06-2008, 08:11 PM
Just watch how much load you do put on the bowsprit if you keep the rope out on the bow roller.

This post sort of reminded me about another one that was on here a while ago.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=109034

- Darren

haha...I'm sure Lee would appreciate bringing that old thread up again...http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gifhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gifhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif

tenzing
24-06-2008, 10:40 PM
I use the bow roller, the bow rails aren't designed for that purpose. The bow rails might only be bolted on to 1cm thick glass where the roller is probably bolted into 1 inch thick glass and wood.

Having said that if your pick is dead set stuck solid you can bend the bow roller, I've even seen a boat with the bow sprit ripped off by the anchor rope, but I bet the bow rail would have come off quicker. Just be cautious when driving off.

Cheers, Scotty.
Thanks Scotty, the thing is I have prevbiously torn the bow roller and taken a chunk out of the bowsprit trying to drive off a stuck anchor.
The roller just flexes way too much laterally when pulling up even a free pick.
Because the rope is tied off up front it touches the rail as its pulled down the side , but I dont use the rail deliberately. I'm sure its unwise to tie off to a rear cleat just in case I,m stuck (Isnt it?) so what to do?
Brendan

STUIE63
25-06-2008, 08:44 AM
Definately don't tie the sucker on a rear cleat
Stuie

lethal098
25-06-2008, 09:04 AM
stuie, why not tie off on rear cleat, mate of mine does it and has been for years, i however use the front to tie off, just curioues as to why you say definately not.
cheers lethal

Pazz01
25-06-2008, 10:43 AM
Hey Lethal,

I know of a bloke who tied off on the rear cleat that have sunk it. It acts like a big bungy chord and if it doesn't break off, and you knock the boat out of gear it will pull you backwards flat out and if there are larger waves etc the rear of the boat won't have the floatation to go over the top of them and down she'll go.

Prior to this, I was out with a bloke fishing in about 70 metres of water off Cairns, and we had a heap of rope out, and we thought we'd pull up the slack from the rear clear, and when we thought we had gone far enough (which was too far), we knocked it out of gear and it shot backwards and the it start taking water in over the stern. Luckily it was calm and it was a big boat, but a scary experience.

It's a big ocean, and I don't think I would like floating around in it waiting to be rescued from a stupid mistake.

Cheers
Pazz

coucho
25-06-2008, 10:58 AM
take some of the slack up as you drive forward then take two wraps around the rear cleat and hold the tail (just be carefull when you take the wraps you don't "hitch" the rope to the cleat) in you hand if the anchor doesn't give and you need to back off the throttel let go of the loss end and it will pull through the cleat.

STUIE63
25-06-2008, 11:20 AM
I heard of a boat that sank off Cardwell about ten years ago doing this if you tie to the nose and it pulls the nose down the motor will come out of the water and stop pulling nose down . if you tie off the rear cleat then the motor can just pull you down
my thoughts only but makes sense to me
Stuie

tenzing
25-06-2008, 09:59 PM
Thanks guys for the advice. Wonder if a differnt boe roller might help.
--Non hinged?