PDA

View Full Version : Best Australia Fishing Magazines

Gagga08
24-06-2008, 10:45 AM
Hey all.

I was thinking about to subscribing to a fishing magazine, however i haven't a clue which is the best magazine out there to subscribe to.

I fish mainly in saltwater estuarys and freshwater lakes and rivers.

Any suggestions of a quality magazine out there?

Little grey men
24-06-2008, 10:52 AM
Freshwater Fishing
Fishing World
Barra bass and Bream

These are the magazines that I don't miss. I buy heaps more though. I love the little magazine with all of the amazing fishing photos in it, Can't think of the name but it's really well put together. The fish photos are stunning. Almost like a National Geographic on fishing.

Nic
24-06-2008, 11:09 AM
You might want to consider buying a regional mag if you don't travel much interstate/OS to fish.

Maybe you should buy a couple of different titles from the newsagent and just see which you prefer? For sheer photographic brilliance I'll put a vote in for the Fishing Wild magazine... it has good photography tips too.

REEL CRUISY
24-06-2008, 11:37 AM
Hi, NQ Fish & Boat is a top read and Bush n Beach fishing covers wide range of fishing style.

Gagga08
24-06-2008, 12:14 PM
I live and fish in Victoria...so i NQ Fish and Boat probably wouldn't be that relevant for me. Have flicked through it before tho and it was a good read.

Thanks

slyman
24-06-2008, 12:48 PM
modern fishing

nuggstar
24-06-2008, 01:04 PM
yer im addicted to modern fishing and fishing world. i use to get the naffa mags but i dont live up north any more. i did subscribe to bush and beach for 6 months, they are a good read. i just wish they made the mags bigger as i have them read back the frount the first day i get them so then im hanging out for a hole month to get the next one. the fishing dvd magazine are awsome and well worth $13

the gecko
24-06-2008, 01:25 PM
I prefer the DVD Fishing Magazine. They cover lots of different styles and locations.

Its so much better watching a guy catch a target species, than reading about it. I keep a few in the car and play em on my laptop when works gets quiet.

Andrew

ronnien
24-06-2008, 01:36 PM
the nq fish&boat does it for me, when i start reading it i cant stop till it's finished.
then i'm keen as mustard to get out & get among them! so if u dont live up here u should move & start reading it, i even take it out sometimes on the boat to refer to things in it.

ron.

Outsider1
24-06-2008, 01:41 PM
I read most of them, plus the DVDs.

Queensland Fishing Monthly (QFM) is another one I always read, like Bush n Beach only twice the number of pages. Lots of local reports as well as gear, boats and bits and plenty of ads to get an idea of prices etc. They print NSW and Victorian editions as well.

http://www.fishingmonthly.com.au/pages/home.html

Cheers

Dave

123-p-gibson
24-06-2008, 01:41 PM
modern fishing ... if you sign up before july i think you get a free reel worth about $130
Paul

Jeremy87
24-06-2008, 01:48 PM
Fishing magazines can be put into a few different categories. You have your newspaper style ones that let you know what's been happening over the last month and what to expect this month such as bush and beach and fishing monthly. The you have your glossy mags that are usually sports fishing orientated which give you ideas and information about fishing new fishing locations and what to ude when you go there. The stand out magazine for this is modern fishing. I'm subsrcied to modern fishing but also read fishing monthly regularly. You learn more from glossy mags but newspaper stlye mags keep you in touch with whats happening in your area.

Gagga08
24-06-2008, 02:02 PM
Thanks Jeremy..very useful post.

I think I'll subscribe to Modern Fishing...and pick up a copy of Victorian Fishing Monthly whenever i'm in my local bait and tackle.

Can you subscribe to the DVD's?

the gecko
24-06-2008, 02:27 PM
yes , you can subscribe to the dvds here
http://www.fishingdvd.com.au/
you can also get backorders, and see where they were fishing, etc.

Andrew

Breambuster33
24-06-2008, 02:32 PM
Saltwater Angler is a good eastury mag.
i like the modern fishing mag as it has a poster to put up on the wall so i have subscribed to them.
as others have said the newspaper ones are more reports and whats going on.;D;D

Red Bull
24-06-2008, 02:51 PM
Fishing World for me. I find the articles in Fisho are the best because they usually have specific instructional content that is of the most value to me. Writers like Greeny, Dean Butler, and others, give every impression they know about as much as there is to know about their subject matter, but yet this is transferred to the articles in a manner that is entertaining, informative, useful and easy to understand for a bloke like me.

I also do read Modern Fishing from time to time, but I find the content a bit more waffly (is that a word?) and not to the point, and the writers seem somewhat more self congratulatory, IMO.

Cheers
RB

NAGG
24-06-2008, 03:18 PM
None is the best (IMO) ....... but all of them have good articles from time to time!
My purchase usually come from a quick browse in the newsagent ...... & I'll buy based on what grabs my interest!
Having said that , The one that usually grabs my attention ( but its species specific) is Bream , Bass & Barra!

Its been mentioned ..... THE FISHING DVD is a must8-)

Nagg

Gagga08
24-06-2008, 03:21 PM
How much dose Fishing DVD retail for?

Outsider1
24-06-2008, 03:22 PM
$13, a little cheaper if you subscribe.

Cheers

Dave

Little grey men
24-06-2008, 03:58 PM
$13 well spent I'd say, who else watches theirs over and over when there's nothing but crap on TV ???

Jungle Jim
24-06-2008, 04:49 PM
I subscribed last year to modern fishing and as jeremy said you can learn heaps reading that mag...but QFM and bush and beach give more local reports and information relative to my fishing areas

the fishing dvd's got watched and rewatched recently when i was layed off sick with the flu...

JIm

Cammy
24-06-2008, 05:37 PM
I like fishing wild, covers alot places over the globe, covers alot of diff species and also does freshwater.

But today i went and picked up "go fishing" and "estuary fishing". I did see bream bass and barra, i might go pick that up tmro!

Cammo

Outsider1
24-06-2008, 05:38 PM
$13 well spent I'd say, who else watches theirs over and over when there's nothing but crap on TV ???

Yep,

I am slowly back filling my collection, in the interim I have been watching reruns along with the new DVDS.

I have most of Mal Florence's tapes on Video too, must update to the DVDs.

And the full series of A River Somewhere.

Now I where do I get Malcolm Douglas's docos on DVDS?

Cheers

Dave

poundalead
24-06-2008, 05:44 PM
Without a doubt Fishing Wild is the best magazine, as Cammy said it covers all types of fishing and has the best photos imaginable. It also has more thorough and extended articles more so than the other magazines. The fishing dvd's are awesome too..

Cheers Benny

imnotoriginal
24-06-2008, 05:51 PM
I've got to agree with Cammy and Poundalead. Fishing Wild is by far the best for me. I love reading all the articles and they're always in depth, well written and bring something new to the fore. The picture quality is outstanding and as well as describing techniques for fishing they offer advice and information on photography, travel, accommodation and many other areas. It's always a buzz when a new mag comes out for me, I know it's the one fishing magazine I'll read from cover to cover even though they're never actually giving me info on a location I fish myself.
Joel
p.s. Go fishing is alright too, I like reading John Mondora's articles.

BREEZE470
24-06-2008, 07:08 PM
I just subcribed to Modern Fishing (for the reel) and for the past 3 months I've been buying the Queensland Monthly one - lots of good articles for beginners like me.

My mother inlaw has also started recording all the fishing shows on Foxtel for me ;D plus for my birthday recently she bought me a couple of fishing DVD's ...

Gagga08
25-06-2008, 08:32 AM
Guys just quietly i'm looking to subscribe to a FISHING magazine that gives me information I can use. I'm not subscribing to get photography tips. I'm interested in fishing and techniques I can incorporate into my own fishing experiences.

I do agree that the stories and photos in Fishing Wild are spectacular, however its not a very relevant read to a guy who primariliary fishes Corio Bay!

kevvie
25-06-2008, 08:55 AM
Hi Guys,

Like anything it is personal preference.

I only buy 2 mags, Fishing World and Modern fishing. Both have the best content for NSW waters (generally) and have good informative articles. The pics arent bad either!

If i had to choose though i would pick Fishing World. That said I am a 'part time' contributor to the mag so i might be a little biased. But none the less, i still preferred it b4 i wrote some articles for it.

The Monthlys are useful if im going on a trip and am doing some research beforehand!

Gagga08
25-06-2008, 12:46 PM
Are there any specific magazines aimed at the Victoria market..other than Victorian Fishing Monthly?

kevvie
25-06-2008, 02:26 PM
I think Sportfishing Mag is aimed at southern states. The editor is Shane Mensforth (from SA i think) so content is swayed to that region.

Scott nthQld
25-06-2008, 02:31 PM
your best bet, before subscirbing would be to just browse the mags and purchase what you want from the newsagent, after a while have a look at your collection and see what magazine you have the most of and subscribe to that one.

I've subscribed to NQ Fish and Boat, but thats got more to do with my local area and I used to buy it from the agents every month anyway.

coelacanth
25-06-2008, 10:39 PM
Fishing world is a good mag, great writers , especially this month, check out the bris vegas story on threadies.All the qfm publications are well worth a look as is fresh water fishing .Ian

Kleyny
26-06-2008, 06:26 PM
I would personally go down to your local tackle shops and ask them if there is a "local" mag for your area. If not they might be able to point you in the right direction for something thats close to the type of fishing for your area.

i like the bush and beach as it is localized.

neil

Nic
27-06-2008, 11:06 AM
There are a couple of other Vic-specific mags besides VFM. One of them is called Southeast and West Fishing, not sure about the other. Just buy a copy of those and a VFM and see which you like best, I reckon!

BREEZE470
11-07-2008, 10:02 AM
Due to reading this thread I subscribed to Modern Fishing just to get the free reel (tight arse I am)

Anyways, the reel arrived today its a :

Browning Fishing : Syntec AF636
Light Metalic Blue/Aqua & Silver in colour with a little wooden handle

Too lazy to go look up if it's any good or what it's really worth but thought I'd post exactly what you get ??? You guys probably already know without having to look it up ;D

yet to receive my first copy of the magazine ... ::) ;D

Braddles
11-07-2008, 11:05 AM
I used to get QLD fishing monthly.... but then it occured to me - its same print quality as the sunday mail.... and that is full of news and costs me ~ $2.00. QLD fishing monthly is news paper print, on low grade paper, every issue is packed more and more with adds (the only glossy pages now).... and it occured to me its primary motivation for production is a magazine that makes the producers rich more so than provides us with a quality read. For the advertising in it, for the $5.00 price tag... I dont think it's good value any more.

Just my opinion.

I reckon you go to a well stocked news agency, and flick through a few, and buy a couple each edition until you find one your happy with.

I am not loyal to one mag now, but tend to bu the one with a feature story on a local area I fish, or a story or review that interests me.

Good luck with finding something

regards,

Brad.

MeePee_99
11-07-2008, 12:05 PM
I buy modern fishing and qld fishing monthly every month, havent missed one for years, two great reads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

steve99
13-07-2008, 05:37 PM
Modern Fishing and Fishing World. I really do enjoy the Bikini babes in the NAFA magazine.

Steve99

PaulMark
13-07-2008, 09:00 PM
I subscribe to Modern Fishing,and I also get Qld fishing monthly.
Paulo

BREEZE470
13-07-2008, 10:00 PM
Modern Fishing and Fishing World. I really do enjoy the Bikini babes in the NAFA magazine.

Steve99

My husband seems to enjoy that part of the mag too !! ;)

Dick Pasfield
15-07-2008, 09:59 PM
Western Angler by a country mile

and the new NT Fishing and Outdoors Magazine reads pretty well also

Whitto
16-07-2008, 07:37 AM
I buy Queensland Monthly and Bush and Beach......there really is no need to buy anything else.........Whitto:D8-)

Mike Delisser
16-07-2008, 06:31 PM
Bushn'Beach for me 2 ;)

Pistol_P
16-07-2008, 08:45 PM
I gotta say I dont Buy ANY mags anymore except QFM.

I know there are some good articles but I ask myself 'Why buy them when there is the internet..?'......Everything I want to read is on the net..!

Most of the Mags arent cheap anymore either and average around $7.00 a pop.

QFM I find good.

Pete

fisho_83
17-07-2008, 06:03 PM
QLD Fishing Monthly (or whatever state you live in) are great, and cheap too! :)

spelchek
22-07-2008, 10:19 AM
While I've got a current subscription to QLD Fishing Monthly (a xmas gift last year) I am not sure if I will re-subscribe once my times up.

Why?
1.Well firstly the articles are all over a month old so their is no info that is actually current. Unavoidable I guess due to deadlines etc but little real use (apart from general techniques etc).
2. The reviews are without fail the most biased, uninformative and worthless crap I have ever read. Wayne Kampe reviews are no more than adverts for the products - Ive never read a bad word from him on ANYTHING. Never seen him review a single car with ANY bad points whatsoever. etc etc. You get the idea.

The good points: Well, its a pretty fair read when on the 'throne' - the pics alone are worthwhile to give you an idea about what lure patterns are producing what fish. Also Its a magazine about fishing, so no matter how bad it is, it can't be all bad :)

Im not sure whether or not I'll re-subscribe. Between the internet and 'bush telegraph' there's not a lot of need for fishing mags at all - but they are a good waste of time when you can't get on the water to waste time. :)

Gagga08
22-07-2008, 10:27 AM
Great work guys! I haven't subscribed to anything yet. But I have been to several newsagents and purchased copies of Modern Fishing and Fishing World. I have also purchased some local Victorian mags, VFM and Southwest Fishing magazine. I'm gunna keep purchasing them from the newsagents for a few months until I decide on the best for me!

2manylures
22-07-2008, 11:13 PM
Hey all.

I was thinking about to subscribing to a fishing magazine, however i haven't a clue which is the best magazine out there to subscribe to.

I fish mainly in saltwater estuarys and freshwater lakes and rivers.

Any suggestions of a quality magazine out there?

Spend your money on your kids {if any} or tackle.

If you take too much notice of the conflicting stories written all that will happen is confusion.

Give what you do & learn the same attention to what you would a magazine & not only will you save a fortune but you'll be a much better angler

Knowledge is gained from understanding & practical experience NOT others opinions.

My opinion only so probably not worth taking notice of especially after reading the line above!

Nic
23-07-2008, 08:28 AM
Knowledge is gained from understanding & practical experience NOT others opinions.

That's a bit of an odd thing to say, if that were true there would be no need for anybody to go to school. 'Understanding' has to come from somewhere!

I'm going to assume that you actually mean reading mags or watching fishing shows is not a substitute for actually putting in the hours on the water. I do agree with that, as do many fishing writers -- I have read that same statement many times.

Even so, magazines let you find out about other locations and how they fish at different times of the year... there are new products and boat tests, different techniques and approaches for different species, and so on. It's not like you have to take everything on board, but it can give you some helpful tips and ideas to try out, or inspire you to visit a new holiday destination.

If you're not much of a reader, you can get ideas from TV shows, DVDs, tackle shop staff, tournament pros or even Ausfish. But relying on your own experience only, and not making use of other anglers' experiences (often gleaned from many hours on the water), seems to me to be a wasted opportunity.

kevvie
23-07-2008, 10:02 AM
I gotta agree with Nic here...

I have learnt plenty from fishin mags over the years. Do i rely soley on it for info??? NO...it supplements my knowledge and gives me ideas to push forward, introduces me to new products and educates me about boats...

When i first started sp fishin i relied on mags and books for info. I had no-one to show me the ropes and while it took me time to figure out the finer deatils it was articles in mags that helped me keep on the right track.

Take out of it waht you will....but everybody and everything can teach you something if your willing to learn.