PDA

View Full Version : How Many Lady Members Here?

BREEZE470
23-06-2008, 08:10 PM
Hi

As I've mentioned in other threads I'm brand new to boating & fishing. My gear is that of a novice as I didn't want to spend big bucks just in case I didn't like it.

Just wondering how many other ladies are members here and at what level of expertise there is??

Would love to hear/meet/perhaps get together with other ladies for a day of fishing (once I get some practice)

Cheers
Sharen ;D

Bear001
23-06-2008, 08:23 PM
Hi Sharen,

If you do a search - you'll find there is plenty of us girls here.

Most of us are absolutely addicted to fishing & quite a few of us have our own boats etc too.

Dont be afraid or embarrased about not having top end gear. You will read a fair bit of debate on here about how much to spend - but I personally think it all comes down to common sense. I try not to get into all that debate, as in any sport/hobby - what you have will be fine to start you off until you decide to upgrade for what ever reason.

Anyhow, Im not sure what area you are in - but Im personally not much help to you - Im inland North West NSW, but good luck- you will find many friendly people (guys & girls) here willing to help 'show you the ropes'.

BREEZE470
23-06-2008, 09:02 PM
Thanks Bear001

We're around the Ipswich area (SEQ). Was looking to fish around Redland Bay / Wynnum etc once I get brave enough to venture out of the Brisbane river ... :o

My hubby just bought me an old 14ft runabout so learn/practice in ... then perhaps we'll look at upgrading to a bigger boat (ie: HIS boat .. :D :D )

Have been reading through many of the threads on here and it's alittle intimidating but I"m sure I'll get there....

Lucky_Phill
24-06-2008, 05:52 AM
Sharen,

There are many many girls registered here on Ausfish. Some have obvious nicnames, others do not. Some are like you and feel " intimidated " by a male dominated recreation, ie fishing and moreso the forum here.

But there is nothing to fear, 99% of members here just love fishing and whether you are male or female has no bearing on the subject.

Please feel free to ask any question, provide input and reports.

Good luck with the little boat and may you achieve the " bigger boat " goal.

Cheers Phill

Herm
27-06-2008, 10:15 PM
Hi Sharen and Welcome!:)

There are a few of us around here!

If you can and you want to put some faces to names - try and drop in at the weigh in for the River to Mud at Whyte Island!

Cheers
Janine

bondy99
28-06-2008, 08:36 PM
Hi, this might be off topic, I'm wondering if there are any single woman over the age of 40 that are into fishing as I have not found one thats interested except eating the catch. If so, would there be a social meet and greet that could be arranged in Brisbane area?

Peter

mik01
28-06-2008, 11:27 PM
Sharen,

There are many many girls registered here on Ausfish. Some have obvious nicnames, others do not. Some are like you and feel " intimidated " by a male dominated recreation, ie fishing and moreso the forum here.

But there is nothing to fear, 99% of members here just love fishing and whether you are male or female has no bearing on the subject.

Please feel free to ask any question, provide input and reports.

Good luck with the little boat and may you achieve the " bigger boat " goal.

Cheers Phill

great post Phil.

don't be intimidated Sharen, you've just done what heaps of others are too 'intimidated' to do - start your own thread and join in.

so you're halfway there!;)

NO ONE learns on here unless they ask questions, and there are no silly questions. anyone here who doesn't learn something new regularly is probably lying.

good luck and you'll find many more knowledgeable people than me who can guide you further into fishing and boating.

ps - once you get out of the river, it gets way better!!! how about coming along to the River to Mud - might give you the confidence to get out a little further?

rob tranter
29-06-2008, 02:23 AM
Hi Sharen

The main problem you will find on this site are the Smart arses, (and I am one), so don't listen to them/me, pick what you like on any discussion board/topic and enjoy.

Oh the Know It Alls are a pain as well, but generally this site is full of helpfull and most important, KNOWLEDGABLE PEOPLE

SO ENJOY

Rob T8-)

Mrs Ronnie H
29-06-2008, 11:53 AM
Hi Sharen

I am one of those lady fishers and like all have said don't be intimidated by the men folk.
Never be afraid to ask a question-- thats how you learn and there is always plenty to learn about fishing.

Don't worry about having the latest up market gear either. You buy what you can afford and save to upgrade if thats what you want to do later on. Fishing is about having fun and enjoying yourself -- not about how much you spend.

Enjoy Ausfish like I do and never be frightened to have your say or ask a simple question

Cheers
Ronnie

bondy99
29-06-2008, 06:44 PM
Yes, don't be intimidated, and don't be afraid to ask questions, its the only way to get info, then put that info into practice. It's all good

Peter

Mod11
30-06-2008, 06:19 AM
Hi, this might be off topic, I'm wondering if there are any single woman over the age of 40 that are into fishing as I have not found one thats interested except eating the catch. If so, would there be a social meet and greet that could be arranged in Brisbane area?

Peter

This is not a dating service bondy........ :-/

But I hope you find that special person....

back to topic, you will find Sharen, that this is the place were all ages and genders are more than welcome. Look around, provide reports, ask questions and have fun. ;D

chilli

bondy99
30-06-2008, 08:10 PM
This is not a dating service bondy........ :-/

But I hope you find that special person....

back to topic, you will find Sharen, that this is the place were all ages and genders are more than welcome. Look around, provide reports, ask questions and have fun. ;D

chilli

G'day Chilli,

Read your post, no worries there. I'm not after dates, there are places for that, what was I thinking of, must have had a few too many.been looking at fish guts too much;D ;D 8-)

just jude
04-07-2008, 05:56 PM
Hi

As I've mentioned in other threads I'm brand new to boating & fishing. My gear is that of a novice as I didn't want to spend big bucks just in case I didn't like it.

Just wondering how many other ladies are members here and at what level of expertise there is??

Would love to hear/meet/perhaps get together with other ladies for a day of fishing (once i get some practice)

Cheers
Sharen ;D

Hi Sharen........I'm having trouble finding a fishing companion as well....I guess most guy's don't appreciate how "down and dirty" we gals can get ;) to find that elusive catch. I'm in the ACT so I enjoy both salt and freshwater fishing all year round. I would love to hear from anyone (both genders) who is also looking for a fishing/camping companion.

Jude

BREEZE470
06-07-2008, 10:12 PM
THANKS EVERYONE !!

Have had a hectic week or so and haven't had a chance to post (done heaps of reading though) ...

Well - we've taken the boat out twice now !! ;D only in the Brisbane River but am practising my turning, starting, stoping, approaching the ramp etc. Especially reading the Beacon to Beacon and the markers... want to build my confidence up in the river where it's quiet before I get brave enough to go further.

Dying to go fishing but want to make sure my boating skills are sufficient first - just in case something happens to my hubby whilst out and about. As 90% of the time we'll have the kids with us, I need to know everything is safe.

Have my pink Shimano Lipstick rods (6 and 7 foot versions) and my pretty pink & Silver Okuma reels (40? and a 55 - they are the breast cancer ones ..) ready and waiting to go. ;D ;D