PDA

View Full Version : Console Setup

fivefishes
23-06-2008, 05:58 PM
Ronnien,

Check out the photo's, it was taken just after i installed it so no close up's of electronics etc. You can see how fishing friendly it is and is unreal when that FNQ sun is smashing down on you.

Matt

Rossi_81
23-06-2008, 06:06 PM
Look like just the shot was it a prefab one or did you have it made?

ronnien
23-06-2008, 06:13 PM
thanks for that matt,
you are right i dont like weaving in & out of straps chasing a fish around the boat.
thats a very good setup mate, user freindly!

ron.

fivefishes
23-06-2008, 06:34 PM
Rossi_81

The console itself was a custom job from the local plastic welder/fabricator. Just went to him and gave him the dimensions etc and bingo. Plastic is 10 mm all round and it has a 50mm flange on the base to attach it to the floor. T-Top was on special at a local boating,camping and fishing store. Was about $350. half a day's stuffing around and away you go.

Matt

ronnien
23-06-2008, 07:51 PM
matt,
is it fixed to a set height or can it be droped down. i thinking of the same sort of setup but would rather it be able to drop down to park under cover.

ron.

Hornet Rider
24-06-2008, 12:46 AM
Matt, looks like a project? Are you also going to fwd mount your controls & steering? Also, did you zip tie the canopy to the frame instead of using the cord?

cheers, Mark

fivefishes
24-06-2008, 01:02 PM
Mark,

Not going to forward mount steering etc yet, give me some time to be annoyed by the tiller drive first! Yes cable tied the canvas, looks heaps neater and tighter canvas so there's no pooling of water on top.

Ron,

She doesn't drop down so that's a pain. Mrs won't give up the garage space for the boat anyhow so it doesn't matter. Could be achieved through the use of telescopic uprights fixed with pins or similar though.

Matt

ronnien
24-06-2008, 01:55 PM
matt,
when i do mine i will have it drop down so i can get it under the house(she's got no say lol) cause i dont like laeving it out in the open weather & the crim's.

ron.

fivefishes
24-06-2008, 06:16 PM
Ron,

A guy down the road from me has the exact setup you're looking for. The canopy sits right down on top of the console so it fits in his garage and obviously extends up when he takes her out. (Or the guy is in a wheel chair and doesn't need the headroom!!) I'll try to catch him one day and check it out, no real secret to it i suppose but you do want the thing to be stable when under way.

Matt

ronnien
24-06-2008, 06:22 PM
matt,
yeah i will want it to be stable, i got a mate (alloy welder) who done all the other work for me in the boat so i will get him again, he knows what he's doin.

ron.

disorderly
24-06-2008, 06:50 PM
Looks really good,Matt.
Not to sure about using you as the model in the first photo though....
I'd much prefer to see a bikini babe than your hairy chest.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gifhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif

Scott

Skusto
24-06-2008, 07:01 PM
does the console interfere with your sight when your driving down the back?

fivefishes
24-06-2008, 07:01 PM
Scott,

Oh ha ha...... people in glass houses scott!!

Seriously i tried to get the babe out of Wahoo's old avatar but she wouldn't have a bar of me, so to speak.

Matt

disorderly
24-06-2008, 07:03 PM
BTW,you were inquiring about larger dories the other day...
I spent quite a few reef trips in a 5.2 quinnie dory with yammy 70 on the back and it went really well.
It had been decked out with a console that incorporated a fuel tank and bimini,had side decks and side pockets welded in and a splash well fitted...compared to my much older stacer 5.25 ,though, it had an ordinary ride,was too light in the front end(which made it very bouncy in chop and a little dodgy in heavy weather..and ended up costing not too far short of what a factory decked out model may have cost..
IMO if you wanted to upgrade at some stage you would be better off buying a second hand boat with a millenium hull,evo hull etc and get away from those blunt bow'd dories.
I'd like too as well...my boat is a backbreaker.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/sad.gif

Scott

fivefishes
24-06-2008, 07:08 PM
Skusto,

No. I stand 99% of the time. Better vision, heaps better than trying to drive the tiller with nothing to hold on to, it's like a different boat.
By the way i bow to thee, a Barcrusher owner. Are they an awesome boat or what. Now where did i hear the line, "there are two types of boats, a Barcrusher and the rest." I'll just have to put up with my "cracktrex" for a bit longer!!

Matt

Skusto
24-06-2008, 07:16 PM
Skusto,

No. I stand 99% of the time. Better vision, heaps better than trying to drive the tiller with nothing to hold on to, it's like a different boat.
By the way i bow to thee, a Barcrusher owner. Are they an awesome boat or what. Now where did i hear the line, "there are two types of boats, a Barcrusher and the rest." I'll just have to put up with my "cracktrex" for a bit longer!!

Matt

haha yeah they are a good boat we are very happy that we made the right choice.. just need the 150 yammy 4 banger on the back and i reckon she would be a good little pocket rocket then. :D

fivefishes
24-06-2008, 07:16 PM
Scott,

Just chit chat bout the bigger rig. You know how it is, just that bit bigger, just that bit further, just that bit windier weather. The way the weather is going i'll have to hijack some yuppies yacht from the marina to get out. I like the idea of the big open style tinny, they don't cost an arm and a leg, simple to use, easy to fish out of etc. I'll keep dreaming (Where's that Barcrusher booklet).

Matt

disorderly
24-06-2008, 07:31 PM
Yeah I'm hearing you,Matt...we always want something a little bigger and better...
BTW what's the word in the trenchs up there....is this the most consistently windy year ever???
I've noticed Townville and further south have not had nearly as bad winds as we have further north.
I know of a few fisho's that are a little despondent due to these never ceasing winds.It's really very frustrating....

Scott

fivefishes
24-06-2008, 07:58 PM
Scott,

I don't keep records re wind warnings etc, but considering there were no cyclones it's been pretty crap, 3 weeks 20-30 kts non- stop in March, that's a little odd. Normally you get a decent run till bout May. Anyhow watch the chart and here's hoping for some 10kt days and we'll go smash em.

Matt

FNQCairns
27-06-2008, 06:54 PM
Looks really good! Love the individuality when tinnys are done up to suit the owners style and needs for inshore and odd offshore fishing, saw a brilliant basic 4.5 tinny done up to the hilt, it even had outriggers!

cheers fnq

fivefishes
27-06-2008, 08:05 PM
FNQ,

Agree totally, customised tinnies are unreal. My last boat was a 12ft tinny i got for 400 bucks. I gutted it, put in a floor, casting deck, esky built into the front seat, live bait tank etc. It was a ripper for around the creeks, used to turn heads cause it was a neat little practical boat. Outriggers on a 4.5, mmmm, the old saying about the dog that chased the bus comes to mind, all ok till it catches it!! Big gamefish out of a 4.5m that's courageous.

Matt

Hornet Rider
27-06-2008, 08:30 PM
Rossi_81

The console itself was a custom job from the local plastic welder/fabricator. Just went to him and gave him the dimensions etc and bingo. Plastic is 10 mm all round and it has a 50mm flange on the base to attach it to the floor. T-Top was on special at a local boating,camping and fishing store. Was about $350. half a day's stuffing around and away you go.

Matt

Matt, got the same t-top as you & got a useful idea from another bloke to fit some over-size ally tube reinforcing on the uprights where people hang on when it gets rough - see pic. Makes a difference to the overall structural integrity. Sick of the tiller steer yet? Hope it's coming along for you.

cheers, Mark

fivefishes
27-06-2008, 08:48 PM
Mark,

It's pretty much done, the photo was taken back in April when i fitted it, like all things boating and fishing you can't leave it alone for long so i found myself tinkering each night after work and finished it pretty quickly. Console has had the marine radio, GPS, sounder, switch panel and folding all round white light fitted. It is 300% better than trying to twist around to see the sounder while driving, trying to juggle the handheld GPS etc all while holding the tiller. Recently did a 60km round trip out the front of Cairns and yeah the tiller steer was a bit annoying by the end of it, will consider the steering option later on i suppose.
Interesting idea with the supports on the uprights, i did see a good idea the other day, a guy had a cargo net type set up under his T-Top, great place for life jackets etc cause space is always at a premium. Do you have any rod racks on your rig? This has been my stumbling block, i can't run rocket launchers off the T-Top so a bit stumped.
Matt

Hornet Rider
27-06-2008, 09:15 PM
Matt, good to hear, & looks like you've been catching some keepers as well, looks like you're having way too much fun, well done with the project. I know that tinkering feeling, it's almost an obsession, nope it is an obsession, but damn fun. The rod holder issue was a interesting debate with my son (senior deckie) & a few of his mates, who also have center consoles. I saw this set up (pic below) & have copied it. My 74ltr fuel tank is in front of my console with a square ally cowling around it, so it offered the best spot to store the rodes for towing & tranist. I'll get a pic of my set up over the weekend for you. Got this bait boat with rod holders custom made & it works well when trolling or making small shifts from one spot to the next.