PDA

View Full Version : new motor

johnny roger
22-06-2008, 01:21 PM
Gday all,
thanks for all the well wishes on my new boat. but sadly to say, i am not very happy with the motor. it takes ages to wind over, either hot or cold. i have to use a combintation of choke and fast idle to get it going when it is warm! this cant be right, and when it is idling, it it rattling itself to bits. i plan on taking it back to the dealer to see whats what with it.
john

FNQCairns
22-06-2008, 01:30 PM
Hi mate more info needed, year, brand, size etc some have quirks like some of the large displacement 3cyl merc/mariners have chatter problems....

Just whatever you can think of to fill in the blanks.

cheers fnq

Outsider1
22-06-2008, 01:32 PM
Does not sound right Johnny!. Best get it back to the dealer quick smart. If it is vibrating/rattling badly it almost sounds like it is not running on all cylinders?

Cheers

Dave

Lancair
22-06-2008, 01:35 PM
Or firing in the wrong order or very bad timing setup ?

Quiz the dealer, did they actually do a water test ?

My new motor wouldnt rev when I first got it. It took ages to get on the plane and then only did about 15 knots. I took it back straight away and the throttle hadnt been set-up properly, just a TLAR (that looks about right) setup. The mechanic admitted he hadnt water tested due to time constraints to get it (my install) done. I was with him when he water tested after adjustment, I fell of the front seat it took off so quick.

Andrew

Outsider1
22-06-2008, 01:43 PM
Looks like Johnny is off line Scott. It is a brand new 2 stroke Mariner 60hp I believe. Here is Johnny's thread on his new boat and motor.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=132528

Cheers

Dave

FNQCairns
22-06-2008, 03:13 PM
Looks like Johnny is off line Scott. It is a brand new 2 stroke Mariner 60hp I believe. Here is Johnny's thread on his new boat and motor.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=132528

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave, it is a brand spanker! back to the dealer it goes, they can be pretty slack on getting the tune right, dealing with only the comebacks saves money, pretty much as stated above.

cheers fnq

johnny roger
23-06-2008, 12:48 AM
Hi mate more info needed, year, brand, size etc some have quirks like some of the large displacement 3cyl merc/mariners have chatter problems....

Just whatever you can think of to fill in the blanks.

cheers fnq
sorry FNQ, the motor is a Mariner 60 HP, 3 cyl, and brand spanking new. they tell me that mariner, mercury, and tohatsu are the same mob now??
Thanks,
John

johnny roger
23-06-2008, 12:54 AM
thanks guys....once again. i always know i'll get good input from you fellas when it counts. i'll be taking it back to the dealer asap. thanks again,
John

Lancair
16-07-2008, 05:53 PM
What happened Johnny ?

Andrew

johnny roger
17-07-2008, 09:49 AM
What happened Johnny ?

Andrew
gday Andrew,

well i think basically all he did was adjust the mixture setting. we took it for a run at the cairns boat ramp there, and it went pretty good. they said that the altitude "COULD" make a difference (I live about 900 M above sea level), but didn't think it was a factor in this case.
well it was a good day out. we dont go to Cairns very often, and the mrs likes to make sure that i bring my credit card....so...she...can...MELT IT!
but i also learned a few things on the test drive. which incidentally i should have been on the first time, but they did it without me.
so now, she starts first time everytime.
just got to fix the rattle now!
John

Lancair
17-07-2008, 11:39 AM
Good stuff.

Andrew

KGW3
17-07-2008, 02:30 PM
Johnny

I had a 2005 3 cyl Eltpo like yours, and they use double oil for the first tank (they put 50: in your tank and also use the oil injection) which means it's getting 25:1 and it will smoke like a dog and run rough as guts for a while.. the plugs get oiled up . I embarrased my missus with much smoke at the ramps the first few times. When you re-fuel (no oil in tank) she will really start to come alive. The 60hp ELPTO is made in USA (Fon du lac Wisconsin) ..
A few tips.. Keep the fuel fresh, If the tranducer is in the Starboard side, buy a spray deflector (Northside Marine) to protect your trim switch. Keep an eye on the oil tank, as they had a batch that was leaky from the bottom.. make sure you get all the salt off the top flat sides (where fuel cap is) or you will get paint corrision there.. ;)