PDA

View Full Version : Offshore Combo ideas anyone?

Sharkie
22-06-2008, 09:43 AM
G'day guys, i'm looking at investing in an off shore combo and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or suggestions.

So far i'm looking at a TLD 25 on a 7ft 15-24kg live fibre rod which is gonna cost me around the $400 mark.

Also what line would people suggest as i've been told that braid is the way to go :-/

Any feedback on this would be much appreciated :)

Cheers
Paul

Horse
22-06-2008, 09:49 AM
The rod is a good choice. I use a TLD 25 on mine but after reading Phills post I would seriously consider a Tyrnos 20 (if using braid) or 30

Hornet Rider
22-06-2008, 10:10 AM
The rod is a good choice. I use a TLD 25 on mine but after reading Phills post I would seriously consider a Tyrnos 20 (if using braid) or 30

Horse, what is '30' ?

lampuki
22-06-2008, 10:15 AM
My advice would be to seriously consider scaling down.....bigger is not better.....you could use a tyrnos 16 (btw they are a lot better than tlds!), 50lbs braid and still fish very deep locations......you will enjoy having a lighter outit! and it will have a better feel.

Sharkie
22-06-2008, 10:15 AM
I think he was referring to the Tyrnos 30 mate.

Thanks Horse, i had a read of that but i'm still not sure haha. I use my mates beast master at the moment but i'll have to have a talk to the boys down at charletons and see what they say.

Cheers
Paul

Sharkie
22-06-2008, 10:18 AM
My advice would be to seriously consider scaling down.....bigger is not better.....you could use a tyrnos 16 (btw they are a lot better than tlds!), 50lbs braid and still fish very deep locations......you will enjoy having a lighter outit! and it will have a better feel.

How much 50lb braid would the 16 hold mate? And also what sort of rod would you put it on?

Cheers
Paul

lampuki
22-06-2008, 06:11 PM
Hi Paul, sorry for the late reply.......I put over 400 meters and i also had backing........the new braid is super thin, very round and very expensive.....use a good quality 10 - 15 kilo overhead rod....mines a gary howard and was around $300

TimiBoy
22-06-2008, 07:20 PM
I use an 9 ft 10-20kg Wilson Texalium, with a TLD 20 2 speed. I have a Tyrnos 30, but it's a bit heavy, it gets a go in Summer when trolling. 300m 40 lb braid backed with 40 lb mono.

The 2 speed is a Godsend in deep water for an old bastard like me who's had shoulder surgery. 4.0 to 1 is OK, but the 1.7 to 1 is sweet when I'm tired.

Cheers,

Tim

Ninja
22-06-2008, 11:20 PM
Look in QFM and find a dealer that will do you the TLD 25 on 24kg BBE for the $299. Good value and reliable enough.

dayoo
23-06-2008, 08:28 AM
Paul,

I suggest a TLD 20 with a Tyrnos handle fitted ($40 extra) or a Tyrnos 20.
I have been using a Gary Howard GForce 15 to 24kg rod but Wilson Live Fibre is cheeper and will do the job.
I have just acquired some awesome rods made from composite E Glass 7 foot 10 to 15kg and beautifully finished with titanium guides. I saw one of these rods pull up a 8 foot tiger shark on a charter last month and was so impressed I bought three. They are not expensive at $35 each. If you are interested send me a PM and I will tell you where to get them.

Cheers
Barry

Sharkie
23-06-2008, 08:30 AM
The reason i'll probably lean towards the TLD 25 is that's what my mate let's me use so it's what i'm comfortable with atm. I was looking at the 15-24kg live fibre in the 7ft length because it still has a nice whippy tip but a nice thick base, i think they retail for around the 200 mark. I found the 5-6ft 15-24kg rods were like fishing with a broom stick (well IMO anyways).

I'll be using it to fish Wide Caloundra and the Barwon Banks mainly.

Cheers
Paul

revs57
23-06-2008, 08:49 AM
G'day Paul,

I have two of the outfits you describe

The rods are the livefibre 7' 15-24kg ZWS70XJ, as you say, nice and tippy, and the tip folds away under load and the mid section is able to impart heaps of grunt.

The one thing that drove me nuts about the TLD 25 was the handle - I changed the handle over to a tyrnos and it improved it out of sight, but for the extra expense, I would seriously consider going to the higher retrieve and much smoother tyrnos series. I know if I was gonna do it again, I would go straight to a tyrnos.

the photo...if it comes up clearly enough, shows me totally loaded up on a huge shark at the Swains, and I'm giving it to it....notice the drag is wound up all the way on sunset - by the time I was called to help ,the reel was almost spooled, my son didn't have the experience to know how to take the drag up on the knurled centre knob and that reel is loaded with 48kg braid and at $130 for the braid, i wanted it back! I expected the rod to explode, but it didn't - eventually the leader knot (that I didn't tie) let go when I got it alongside the boat. But that convinced me the zws70xj was a much better rod than the M10 - an M10 would have let go. I was very impressed witht he performance and was so glad I had the tyrnos handle.

But these days for wide cal and the banks, I'm using much lighter gear - penn slammers 460, 560, 760 and a 850ss spinfisher with 10 & 15kg braid on 6-12 kg spin sticks, an s10 egrell, a rapala, a snapper heavy starlo styx , and a Penn power spin- the only time the overheads come out is either at Fraser for xos Red Emporer etc, or trolling, of night time floaters when xos anything could smash you up, or on the odd occasion I might bottom bash with a paternoster rig and a heavy snapper sinker.

Cheers

Rhys

Sharkie
23-06-2008, 09:01 AM
Thanks for that Rhys, I really like that pic haha;D . I'm thinking by the time i get a TLD with the Tyrnos handle i should probably just get a Tyrnos. I'm guessing they are somewhere between 200-300 bucks? And what size Tyrnos would match up nice with that particular rod?

Cheers
Paul

revs57
23-06-2008, 09:15 AM
No worries Paul, you should be able to pick up a tyrnos 30 for around the $300, a Tyrnos 20 for a little less. I'd shoot Lucky Phill a pm (you'll pick up his thread in this tackle chat section just under this thread on the same page) - he's just worked the whole exercise and will be able to advise you re price and supply. I think he decided to go for a 20, you couldn't go wrong with either, the 30 would be heavier and it could "rock" in the rod seat which can be annoying til you get used to it. the 20 would still give you line and drag capacity, it would be lighter and may be the one to head towards. I reckon a trip to ya local BCF to check both out to update your data base and look at both in a non comittal way would be the way to go.

I guess either reel would match nicely, it really is up to you to work out what balance best for you

Yep, i sure gave it some!!! But I did get me braid back!!!!

Cheers

Rhys

Sharkie
23-06-2008, 09:23 AM
Yeah i had a look at his thread but still not sure lol. Seen as thought its a fairly big purchase (for me anyways) i wanna make sure i get something that'll last me and that i'll be happy with.

I would have been spewin if i lost all that braid, sounds like you did good getting it back mate lol. Would you recommend braid over mono?

Also is there any other reels you might recommend other than Shimano that are around the same price range?

Cheers
Paul

revs57
23-06-2008, 03:12 PM
Well I've just worked through the process od changing the reels I regularly use to braid. Its an expensive exercise, but I just found I prefer the feel of braid.

Reefmaster uses Schnieder mono almost exclusively, it is a it thicker in diameter than som mono's but Greg claims it has little stretch and obviously excellent abrasion resistence. I get around the stretch/shock absorbtion and abrasion thing by running 8-10mts of mono leader. I find I still get excellent conact and feel with the pointy end, but just a little give so i don't rattle the hooks out of anything I am lucky enough to get on.

I know Wags uses a couple of Diawa Saltist's and swears by them. They have a much higher retrieve ratio of around 6.something to 1 and at a similar price to a TLD they could be worth checking out.

I have 2 Penn TRQ 300's that I find are these days my bread and butter reels - I use the TLD's as back up reels. The TRQ's are around the same size as a Tyrnos 20, they have a star drag which is nice and simple but the two big things for me are the 42 inch per crank retrieve which equates to 6.3:1 and the capacity for a whopping 15kg of drag out of the box. I use them for trolling, jigging, bottom bouncing and live baiting, not as bulky as the TLD25 and twice the balls, more go than a tyrnos, but also quite a bit more expensive. They retail at just shy of $500 in a purchase from the US.

You can check them out at the following link

http://www.all-americanoutdoors.com/inc/sdetail/277?gclid=COHXsc_miZQCFR8cagodnhAnXQ

And yeah, I reckon I did pretty good getting it all back - it was a very big shark!

Cheers

Rhys

Sharkie
25-06-2008, 11:38 AM
Rhys

Thanks for all that info mate, really helps out :D

I had a look at the saltists and they look like a really nice real along with the Penn you were talking about. I want to try and keep to my budget for once haha and spend less than 300 on a reel. I think the saltists are about 299 from campbells pro tackle in perth which just keeps me under lol.

With the Tyrnos's, what would be a better size to go on the 7ft Live fibre? The 20 or the 30?

Cheers mate

Paul

poundalead
25-06-2008, 05:17 PM
Hey mate I have a live fibre with a Daiwa Saltist and 50lb braid. I've had it for nearly 3 years and it hasn't missed a beat. I also own a TLD 25, with 30lb mono. It too is bullet proof, the only thing I don't like about the Saltist is the retrieve ratio which can pull the hooks on good fish (which I have done a few times) even with an extra long leader. I have just bought a TLD 20 2 speed for a mate who is taking it up to the Swains this week (lucky prick). I reckon with the slower gear ratio you can really hook into a solid fish without worrying about pulling hooks. I picked it up for $270Au from the states. Campbell's Pro tackle has them on special for $319 from memory.
Some more food for thought good luck with your purchase.....

Cheers Benny

P.S. I am now finally leaning towards using mono for offshore reef work as, like I said I have dropped too many good fish using braid and a high ratio reel.

revs57
26-06-2008, 07:04 AM
Paul, your last question about what size reel is gonna be better is a difficult one for anyone else than you to answer. I have a mate who has a Tyrnos 30 on the same live fibre rod you are talking about and he loves it.

Now having said that, I prefer the feel and balance of the live fibre with the TRQ300 which is similar in overall size to the Tynos 20. The TLD 25 is O.K. mind you, but the more compact reel just feels better to me.

So I reckon I'd be looking at a Tyrons 20 for a start, see if your local tackle store will help and marry one to the rod you are talking about, then do the same thing with the Tyrnos 30. I think you'd find the 20 more than adequate but everyone has individual taste as to what they like and don't like with regards to balance and feel.

Cheers

Rhys

Getout
26-06-2008, 08:14 AM
I've got a couple of Shimano Charter Specials.
They sound a bit agricultural, but matched with 10kg rods they are nice and light, hold plenty of 50lb braid and have a line guide which makes for easy night-time fishing. Plenty big enough for snapper etc.
I use mono on a TLD15 for unattended livey/floater lines.
Over the years my gear has got smaller and my fish have got bigger.:thumbsup:
When I used to do a lot of mackeral trolling, I dragged a spread of rods carrying lines from8kg to 20kg. My biggest/most fish were landed on a piddly rod with little Diawa millionaire reel.

billfisher
26-06-2008, 08:54 AM
Note you can get a lower speed version of the the Saltist with a 4.9 : 1 ratio. This works quite well on the reefies with a lot of winching power. Note that down south (Sydney), where I fish we just wind reef fish straight up without pumping and winding. With braided lines and the big swells we get you will find that you pull a lot of hooks by the latter method.

PennCasta
27-06-2008, 11:22 PM
Tyrnos 20 on a Gary Howard GForce 15-24kg only way to fly.

Sharkie
30-06-2008, 01:15 PM
I bought QFM on thursday last week and to my suprise i noticed BCF had a 20% off sale on ALL live fibre rods starting today. I couldn't drag the missus down there quick enough this morning ;D . Ended up paying $176 for the 7ft 15-24kg rod and i can't say how stoked i am :D . I just have to marry up a reel and some line and away i go.

Cheers
Paul

revs57
30-06-2008, 05:43 PM
That's pretty good Paul, I remember paying $180ea for mine when they were retailing at around $235.

Have you decided which reel yet?

Cheers

Rhys

Sharkie
01-07-2008, 09:12 AM
Nah mate, of course i haven't ;D . I'm as bad as a woman when it comes to buying fishing gear haha. I'm gonna go down to my local tackle store and try some different reels on there to see what one i like best, then start shopping around for the best price again. If anyone knows of any shops offloading overheads cheap atm please let me know :D

Cheers
Paul

tenzing
01-07-2008, 11:03 PM
Sharky, I'vw got a tyrnos 20 and tld 20 on live fibre, but honestly I race my kids to get to the tld 15 on a cheap penn senator.
The reel goes great feels comfy and is light in the hand.
Lighter feels better to me, Tyrnos obviously better quality but the fish dont seem to care,
Brendan

Sharkie
02-07-2008, 10:14 AM
Sharky, I'vw got a tyrnos 20 and tld 20 on live fibre, but honestly I race my kids to get to the tld 15 on a cheap penn senator.
The reel goes great feels comfy and is light in the hand.
Lighter feels better to me, Tyrnos obviously better quality but the fish dont seem to care,
Brendan

Yeah thanks for that mate, I think I'll lean towards the TLD as the Tyrnos's a quite heavy in hand. I just have to work out if i want to put braid or mono on it.

Cheers

Paul

diabolical
02-07-2008, 10:55 AM
Sharkie, Take a look at the smaller Tyrnos reels in the 16 and 12. Plenty of room for more than enough braid and enough mono for most jobs. Better drag and ratio for an allrounder.

TYR16 450/20lb mono 5:1 819gr 33lb drag(same as 30)
TYR12 300/20lb mono 5:1 760gr 33lb drag

Weight might still be an issue, but more compact than the TLD20/25.

tenzing
02-07-2008, 11:48 AM
Yeah thanks for that mate, I think I'll lean towards the TLD as the Tyrnos's a quite heavy in hand. I just have to work out if i want to put braid or mono on it.

Cheers

Paul
Paul I have braid on all of mine but it is really only necessary where you want to feel everything. in which case fish can feel you too and toy need enough mono as a bunjee to provide some give on the end. Mono would be fine for the bottom but you can get more and stronger line in braid on your reel.
Brendan

Sharkie
02-07-2008, 01:44 PM
Did the deal this morning, picked up a TLD25 and loaded it with 40lb mono. Took the whole 500m that i bought (Charletons spooled it for me). Now just gotta wait for nice weather again to test the bad boy out ;D

Cheers
Paul

Braddles
06-07-2008, 12:55 PM
Well I've just worked through the process od changing the reels I regularly use to braid. Its an expensive exercise, but I just found I prefer the feel of braid.

Reefmaster uses Schnieder mono almost exclusively, it is a it thicker in diameter than som mono's but Greg claims it has little stretch and obviously excellent abrasion resistence. I get around the stretch/shock absorbtion and abrasion thing by running 8-10mts of mono leader. I find I still get excellent conact and feel with the pointy end, but just a little give so i don't rattle the hooks out of anything I am lucky enough to get on.

I know Wags uses a couple of Diawa Saltist's and swears by them. They have a much higher retrieve ratio of around 6.something to 1 and at a similar price to a TLD they could be worth checking out.

I have 2 Penn TRQ 300's that I find are these days my bread and butter reels - I use the TLD's as back up reels. The TRQ's are around the same size as a Tyrnos 20, they have a star drag which is nice and simple but the two big things for me are the 42 inch per crank retrieve which equates to 6.3:1 and the capacity for a whopping 15kg of drag out of the box. I use them for trolling, jigging, bottom bouncing and live baiting, not as bulky as the TLD25 and twice the balls, more go than a tyrnos, but also quite a bit more expensive. They retail at just shy of $500 in a purchase from the US.

You can check them out at the following link

http://www.all-americanoutdoors.com/inc/sdetail/277?gclid=COHXsc_miZQCFR8cagodnhAnXQ

And yeah, I reckon I did pretty good getting it all back - it was a very big shark!

Cheers

Rhys

Hey guys,

Just had a look at the link for the penn that Rhys posted for us - they have the Penn TRQ 300 for $322.00 With our dollar, that equates to little over 350 delivered in Aussie dollars! OMG - I am excited...

Are these better than the Trynos 30 2 speed or the Daiwa Saltisy 50?

Would pair this to either a Wilson live fibre 7ft or a Gary Howard G Force

any suggestions??