PDA

View Full Version : Giant Trevally

Noiseworks
21-06-2008, 11:43 PM
:helpa:Just a quick question, how good are Giant Trevally to eat. What would you say they are equal to. I do understand that this is personal preference question and that responses may vary.

Cheers
Noiseworks

Cobia Kid
22-06-2008, 09:06 AM
i find little GT's in the estury's a good feed when lightly done in flour and butter, but the GT's out on he reef (the BIG ones) are more then less targeted purley for the sport, i think the big ones are alot like a mother-in-law fish(sleighty bream), so i wouldnt reccomend eating quality,
hope this helps,
cheers,
jamie,

P.s. why do you ask, have you been getting onto them mate, or are you looking for them??

Noiseworks
22-06-2008, 10:03 AM
My son is keen to have a crack at one, and then started to ponder whether they were any good eating. Apparently they can be caught land based along the coast at Mackay. We have pulled in a few Golden trevally (75cm) and feeds us for a couple of meals.

Noiseworks

Scott nthQld
22-06-2008, 11:35 AM
Small GT are good eating, but larger ones turn to boot leather, tough as nails to chew and very very strong in flavour, not recommended at all. Anythng up to about 5kg would be OK though.

gogetter
22-06-2008, 03:57 PM
have ate them up to 7kg and they taste great nothing wrong at with them. just bleed em good and when filleting just cut out any excess blood...

Local_Guy
09-07-2008, 11:16 PM
gT and golden trevally are nice to eat. i've had both at about 1.5kgs. stay away from tea leaf trevally though.. flavour just isn't as nice.

whatscracken
12-08-2008, 08:19 PM
I have eaten a GT that went 4 kilos. Had a bit when it was fresh and then some later on after it had been frozen. It was ok fresh but I think the key was to bleed it straight away and into the ice. The other bit that had been frozen was pretty ordinary by itself. Probably would be better suited to fish pie in that condition.

Chris