PDA

View Full Version : Knot Tying & D.I.Y Jighead Making M&G 9/8/2008

Poodroo
21-06-2008, 04:35 PM
G’day everyone,

Having just serviced my reels in preparedness for the River to Mud M&G I was re-attaching my leader to braid using my usual knot when I started brain storming as to how handy it would be to learn more knots. Then I thought what better way to learn than to have a M&G with like minded Ausfish folk and share our knot tying expertise with one another over the usual drinks and nibblies? So here is my proposal and your thoughts are more than welcome.

Knot Tying M&G. ( Can also incorporate D.I.Y Jigheads & Tackle Talk )
I will also try and organize a special guest provided there is enough interest in the idea to warrant doing so.

When: August 9, 2008

Start: 10am

Finish: 1pm or whenever the last person decides to leave.(It’s all good)

What to bring: Rod and reel outfit, braid, mono, spool of leader, tackle etc.

Where: Poodroo’s place at Mt.Warren Park.
Address will be supplied via PM on request.

Expressions of interest either via posting on this thread or feel free to give me a PM.

Regards,

Poodroo

Horse
21-06-2008, 05:24 PM
Good idea. We could also have a short session at the R2M M&G while we chew on a burger or two
I think its time to put some knots to the test. I wonder what sort of testing gear we could get our hands on

Poodroo
21-06-2008, 05:51 PM
Good idea. We could also have a short session at the R2M M&G while we chew on a burger or two
I think its time to put some knots to the test. I wonder what sort of testing gear we could get our hands on

Looking forward to the R2M M&G. Will be great to catch up. My thoughts on the knot tying is that watching DVD's and animated illustrations of how to tie a knot is not as good as hands on experience so to have a group of us together practising the knots could be beneficial.

Poodroo

Tangles
21-06-2008, 06:39 PM
Good idea, also you could incorporate rigs for bait and sp's as well,

Poodroo
21-06-2008, 08:22 PM
Good idea, also you could incorporate rigs for bait and sp's as well,

Not a bad suggestion Mike. Could cover a wide range of knot tying for both bait and plastics. One of my favourites will be tying leader to braid and getting the best low profile knots that will pass through the tiny Fuji guides on my plastics rod. ;)

Poodroo

Young Gun
22-06-2008, 08:59 AM
Great idea Poodroo

I will be in on it, would love to learn some new knots and rigs.

Ryan

whynott
22-06-2008, 12:00 PM
Andrew,
Your an ideas man!!!!!:D :D
Ill be there.
Graham.

Poodroo
22-06-2008, 01:06 PM
Great idea Poodroo

I will be in on it, would love to learn some new knots and rigs.

Ryan

Andrew,
Your an ideas man!!!!!:D :D
Ill be there.
Graham.

I think it will be great. The D.I.Y Jighead making is a goer and I will keep everyone updated on this thread as to any further developments. Thanks for your interests so far and I look forward to seeing everyone on the day. What also prompted me into doing this was the fact that I see so many threads on Ausfish asking how to tie leader to braid etc. The animated knots are fantastic but I find them a little harder to follow than one on one tuition.

Regards,

Poodroo

jez and suze
22-06-2008, 03:10 PM
just make sure you dont all do the same knots.

Poodroo
22-06-2008, 09:22 PM
just make sure you dont all do the same knots.

Knot funny. ::) Oh well if we all do the same then we can just chat over the drinks and nibblies. It's all good. ;D There will still be D.I.Y jigheads.

Poodroo

whynott
23-06-2008, 06:24 PM
Yeah,
It sounds like it will be a good time.

We can all get knotted together.:D :D :D

Graham.

SeaHunt
24-06-2008, 11:43 AM
Good idea Poo.
I spent quite a few days teaching myself and testing most of the commonly used knots a few years ago and have standarised on about a dozen now, about half that would be regulars.
The bloodknot or even the locked version is knot one of them, when I go out with my mates and they loose a good fish through knot failure 9 times out of 10 they are using bloodknots.
So I would normally be very interested, but leaving for Fraser that day, so this obviously comes a poor second.

Poodroo
24-06-2008, 09:06 PM
Yeah,
It sounds like it will be a good time.

We can all get knotted together.:D :D :D

Graham.

I think it will be a great time. With my expertise in wind knots I can also produce a practical demonstration in first of all making a wind knot, and secondly how to remain calm and grit teeth and mutter swear words under my breath while I try undoing the wind knot and finally letting rip with the sharp knife after giving up on untying the wind knot without success. :-X ;)

Good idea Poo.
I spent quite a few days teaching myself and testing most of the commonly used knots a few years ago and have standarised on about a dozen now, about half that would be regulars.
The bloodknot or even the locked version is knot one of them, when I go out with my mates and they loose a good fish through knot failure 9 times out of 10 they are using bloodknots.
So I would normally be very interested, but leaving for Fraser that day, so this obviously comes a poor second.

I hope your knots let loose. ;D Hey really I am only kidding. Hope you have a great time. I won't be doing the annual Fraser trip this year. It's getting too expensive to drive there and get over these days. Good luck!

Poodroo

whynott
26-06-2008, 05:34 PM
I am looking forward to more training in windknots, especially when there is no wind.
I must say Andrew is a great trainer, but I could just get a wind knot like him!!!!!:D :D :D :D

I could not get over the training Andrew went to to show me how much fun fishing with plastics and braid was.
He even went to the trouble of showing me how to get out of a wind knot.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c310/whynott/Plastics%20day/100_1708Medium.jpg

Thanks Andrew, but I am puzzled to get a wind knot when there was no wind.::) ::) ::)

whynott
26-06-2008, 05:37 PM
Now with all jokes aside, (for now anyway), it should be a good time as I am sure everyone wants to learn a different way of doing things.

I am surprised that there has not been more intrest.

Graham.

Poodroo
26-06-2008, 06:54 PM
Now with all jokes aside, (for now anyway), it should be a good time as I am sure everyone wants to learn a different way of doing things.

I am surprised that there has not been more intrest.

Graham.

I am pretty surprised myself Graham. I have two professional fishermen lined up to give talks and share some expertise about fishing plastics but I was not going to reveal who they are until more people show some interest. It will be a shame to tell them not to worry about it due to lack of interest.

Poodroo

Lucky_Phill
29-06-2008, 08:31 AM
" I have two professional fishermen lined up ", :o

Sounds interesting Andrew. I will not commit to the event as work usually interfers with last minute call ups, but certainly will pencil it in the diary.

Phill

dogsbody
29-06-2008, 06:30 PM
Hey Poo sounds good I'd be keen to learn something different.

Dave.

Poodroo
29-06-2008, 09:11 PM
" I have two professional fishermen lined up ", :o

Sounds interesting Andrew. I will not commit to the event as work usually interfers with last minute call ups, but certainly will pencil it in the diary.

Phill
Should be good Phill. Hope you can make it along.

Hey Poo sounds good I'd be keen to learn something different.

Dave.

Good stuff Dave. Hope to see you then. I will be posting up more details when we get closer to the time.

regards,

Poodroo

whynott
02-07-2008, 06:48 PM
Andrew,
As a suggestion,
Put a link in the tackle chat.
Graham.

Poodroo
03-07-2008, 08:12 AM
Andrew,
As a suggestion,
Put a link in the tackle chat.
Graham.

Good suggestion Graham. Done. ;)

Poodroo

Aussie Spirit
06-07-2008, 10:42 AM
Hi Poodroo, A great idea prior to the summer months coming on. Count me in. I think its time for me to get serious to try and catch a feed and take some home. Instead of feeding the little buggers. Will also stop "she who must be obeyed" nagging about selling the boat to buy a caravan. It won't happen.

Regards
Aussie Spirit.

Poodroo
06-07-2008, 04:14 PM
An update as to who has indicated they want to come and also the maybes.

Poodroo
Scalem
Horse (Maybe)
Aigutso (Maybe)
Young Gun
Wynott
Lucky_Phill (Maybe if not working)
dogsbody
Aussie Spirit
thedeckie
Searaider 2 (IF not working)
Foggy

Regards,

Poodroo

thedeckie
06-07-2008, 04:51 PM
Andrew,
Put me down for a start, sounds interesting and I could do with the help!!;D

Cheers

Paul

Poodroo
06-07-2008, 05:02 PM
Andrew,
Put me down for a start, sounds interesting and I could do with the help!!;D

Cheers

Paul

Consider it done Paul. ;)

Poodroo

Poodroo
25-07-2008, 06:41 PM
Just a reminder that the M&G is still going ahead. So far the list of those who are coming or maybe coming is as follows so please advise if you definitely are coming so that I can cater for everyone.
Poodroo
Scalem
Horse (Maybe)
Aigutso (Maybe)
Young Gun
Wynott
Lucky_Phill (Maybe if not working)
dogsbody (And his famous crab dip)
Aussie Spirit
thedeckie
Searaider 2 (IF not working)
Foggy

Regards,

Poodroo

Chris Ryan
25-07-2008, 07:00 PM
Hi all,

I would love to come but is the birthday weekend for 3 of the 4 of us here. I miss catching up with you lot; been buried under a computer and starting a new job, now selling my house etc.

Have fun for those that are going. Poodroo is a great host.

Cheers,
Chris

dogsbody
28-07-2008, 08:04 PM
Hey Poo I'm a definite. I can make a mean crab dip ;)

Dave.

Poodroo
28-07-2008, 09:45 PM
Hey Poo I'm a definite. I can make a mean crab dip ;)

Dave.

Sounds great Dave. You're in for sure then. ;)

Poodroo

Poodroo
02-08-2008, 08:28 AM
Okay it's just one week to go and I am going to ammend the list to include only the people who have indicated they are definitely coming. Please if you want to come along let me know if you are a definite so that I can cater for you. I will be supplying drinks (including beer), nibblies, sweets, coffee etc. Our special guest is Foggy who most of us know through the forum. We will all be able to share our knowledge about our prefered knots on the day. Scalem will also be setting up to show all how we manufacture our own D.I.Y jigheads which are the darter style jigheads using Gamakatsu Finesse strong wire hooks which both Scalem and I have been using for some time now. To date my PB snapper which was caught on a home made jighead still stands at 74cms. I did have a fairly high profile guest lined up but it depended on how many were coming. Seeing as I would have had to pay him for his time to come I couldn't afford to bring him out based on the numbers that have shown interest. Perhaps next time. Anyway here is the list of definites.

Poodroo
Scalem (D.I.Y. Jighead making expert)
Young Gun
Wynott
Aussie Spirit
thedeckie
Foggy
MattChew

Cheers,

Poodroo

Horse
05-08-2008, 08:06 AM
I'm still keen but will have to let you know at the last moment due to work

CFheers

Neil

Poodroo
05-08-2008, 07:13 PM
I'm still keen but will have to let you know at the last moment due to work

CFheers

Neil

Alright Neil. Would be great to see you come along. I will put you down on the list and if you can make it good, if not I will catch up with you another time. :)

Once again the list is as follows. Please ley me know anyone if you are interested in coming along so I can cater for you. I am also purchasing some basic masks for anyone who wants to get in close to see the jighead making. Important not to breathe the fumes in for obvious reasons. For those who are on the list I will definitely see you there.

Poodroo
Scalem (D.I.Y. Jighead making expert)
Young Gun
Wynott
Aussie Spirit
thedeckie
Foggy
MattChew
Horse (if not working)
Lucky_Phill (If he is still alive and not working) ::)

Cheers,

Poodroo

Poodroo
08-08-2008, 07:24 AM
One more sleep to go. The food and drinks are purchased and all set to go. Looking good. See you all there.

Poodroo

whynott
09-08-2008, 05:28 PM
Thanks Andrew, Trudy and Brian for your hospitality, and passing on your knowledge.
I didn't do much knot tying, but I would say a good time was had by all.
Graham.